DEMU Showcase 2019

lyneux

Showcase2019Banner wide.jpg

The National Exhibition of Diesel and Electric Railway Modelling

The Showcase Organising Team are pleased to announce that this year's show will take place on 1st/2nd June 2019 at the Green Bank Leisure Centre, Swadlincote. Swadlincote is less than 6 miles from the show's 'spiritual home' in Burton-upon-Trent. The move to Swadlincote gives us a larger venue than the Town Hall, befitting of the UK's premier Diesel and Electric Model Railway exhibition.

Confirmed Layouts

Bere Banks (4mm OO)

Brettell Road (4mm P4)

Brunswick Yard (4mm P4)

Dalnottar Riverside (7mm O)

Forth Bridge (T)

Great Endon (OO)

Hornsey Broadway (4mm EM)

Horseblock Lane (2mm N)

Ketton Cement (2mm 2FS)

Norwood Road (4mm OO)

Parrot Hall (4mm OO)

Readham (4mm OO)

Opening Times

Saturday 1st June 2019 10.00 - 17.00
Sunday 2nd June 2019 10.00 - 16.00

Tickets

Available on the door

Adults £10

DEMU members / children (U16) £6

Families (2 adults and unlimited children) £24

More details can be found on the Showcase website here

Edited by lyneux
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:32, D9020 Nimbus said:

How accessible is this location by rail? (It would be helpful if the website said—those for other shows do!)

its not no rail station at Swad either go to derby or burton on trent and then get bus or taxi to venue

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Just seen this.I think you should be aware of limited parking space at the Leisure Centre.The nearest large car park is across the road at Sainsbury’s.,though there is parking behind the adjacent Bus Station.There is a frequent service to Burton town centre but not the rail station.Buses also run to Derby,Coalville and Leicester.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Just seen this.I think you should be aware of limited parking space at the Leisure Centre.The nearest large car park is across the road at Sainsbury’s.,though there is parking behind the adjacent Bus Station.There is a frequent service to Burton town centre but not the rail station.Buses also run to Derby,Coalville and Leicester.

I'm a bit concerned about the car parking issue, could DEMU clarify please?

56 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

So the Meadowside Leisure Centre was a no goer?

MLC was conveniently walkable but not as close as the Town Hall - fantastic building but had it's issues.

Hopefully a heritage shuttle service from BOT for those travelling by BR?

Ian

This has been posted on the DEMU website;

"February 2019: Sadly, our booking at the Meadowside Leisure Centre was cancelled in January 2019 due to a planned change of use of the main hall by their new management team prompting our move to Swadlincote."

Andy

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Crisis Rail said:

So the Meadowside Leisure Centre was a no goer?

MLC was conveniently walkable but not as close as the Town Hall - fantastic building but had it's issues.

Hopefully a heritage shuttle service from BOT for those travelling by BR?

Ian

Hi Ian

Guy and the Showcase organising team found out at very short notice that Meadowside had been sold, after our booking had been taken and we would have about half the space we would have had in the Town Hall. The Town Hall was unavailable so somewhere else had to be found and quickly. I think the team has done exceptionally well in finding an alternative venue, close to where we normally have the show, with a floor space that is larger than the Town Hall and even more importantly the same date so both booked exhibitors and traders can still attend. We done Guy and the team.

13 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I'm a bit concerned about the car parking issue, could DEMU clarify please?

Hi David

More parking spaces than the Town Hall, Sainsbury's is opposite with a big car park and there is on street parking close by.

If you have a friend who you can car share with, think of the benefits to the environment and travel together.

Yours 

Clive

DEMU Committee

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Pretty poor behaviour by the owners of the Leisure Centre. It should have been sold with a condition that they honoured existing bookings.

Agreed, thankfully Guy and the team have sorted out an alternative therefore we do not need to dwell on what is now the past but look forward to an exciting weekend of the best diesel and electric railway modelling.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, 2mm Andy said:

This has been posted on the DEMU website;

"February 2019: Sadly, our booking at the Meadowside Leisure Centre was cancelled in January 2019 due to a planned change of use of the main hall by their new management team prompting our move to Swadlincote."

Andy

Thanks - I must keep up!

42 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Ian

Guy and the Showcase organising team found out at very short notice that Meadowside had been sold, after our booking had been taken and we would have about half the space we would have had in the Town Hall. The Town Hall was unavailable so somewhere else had to be found and quickly. I think the team has done exceptionally well in finding an alternative venue, close to where we normally have the show, with a floor space that is larger than the Town Hall and even more importantly the same date so both booked exhibitors and traders can still attend. We done Guy and the team.

Hi David

More parking spaces than the Town Hall, Sainsbury's is opposite with a big car park and there is on street parking close by.

If you have a friend who you can car share with, think of the benefits to the environment and travel together.

Yours 

Clive

DEMU Committee

hi just be aware lots of Sainsburys have 2 hrs parking limit otherwise it could be a very expensive day out

Dave

• Informative/Useful 1

It's a shame there's a few negative points floating around on here so far... it's never going to be perfect for everyone. Guy and the team should be applauded for pulling something out of the hat at this short notice. It shows they're dedicated put putting on a good show this year, and I'm sure a lot of us will have a great weekend despite the last minute changes.

I'm sure we'll get around the parking issues one way or another, with plenty of suggestions and alternatives on here (just what the forum is for), bearing in mind the slightly further distance to travel from Burton railway station. The line up looks as good as it gets, and the team and me are looking forward to catching up with you all in June.

Edited by Kier Hardy
  • Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, Kier Hardy said:

It's a shame there's a few negative points floating around on here so far... it's never going to be perfect for everyone. Guy and the team should be applauded for pulling something out of the hat at this short notice. It shows they're dedicated put putting on a good show this year, and I'm sure a lot of us will have a great weekend despite the last minute changes.

I'm sure we'll get around the parking issues one way or another, with plenty of suggestions and alternatives on here, bearing in mind the slightly further distance to travel from Burton railway station. The line up looks as good as it gets, and me and the team are looking forward to catching up with lots of you in June.

hi my comment was not intended as anegative issue best to look around for a long stat car should be a few about. I would sooner spend £60 at the exhibition than a fine to a car park company. apart from that looking forward to the show and might be a bit more room at this venue

Dave

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi David

Yours 

Clive

DEMU Committee

Thank you Clive. I suppose that most venues have lots more spaces than the Town Hall, but, as has already been mentioned, most supermarket car parks have a two hour limitation which pretty well rules out Sainsbury's. I'll try to do some research on paid car parks in the town, but transport in Swadlincote, public or private, seems to be a problem.

Thanks for the prompt reply

EDIT: This might help https://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/building/green-bank-leisure-centre-swadlincote/?arriving=201902261630&leaving=201902261830 . But then again it might not!

Edited by PenrithBeacon

8 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I'll try to do some research on paid car parks in the town, but transport in Swadlincote, public or private, seems to be a problem.

EDIT: This might help https://en.parkopedia.co.uk/parking/building/green-bank-leisure-centre-swadlincote/?arriving=201902261630&leaving=201902261830 . But then again it might not!

This web-page might help too (note that it covers other towns as well as Swadlincote, but helpfully gives the postcodes for each site);

https://www.southderbyshire.gov.uk/our-services/transport-and-roads/car-parking

Andy

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Thank you Clive. I suppose that most venues have lots more spaces than the Town Hall, but, as has already been mentioned, most supermarket car parks have a two hour limitation which pretty well rules out Sainsbury's. I'll try to do some research on paid car parks in the town, but transport in Swadlincote, public or private, seems to be a problem.

Thanks for the prompt reply

I've just discovered that if you click on the blue push-pins you get a pop-up which gives you the full address including post codes. So perhaps it's more useful that I first thought.

On 23/02/2019 at 17:32, D9020 Nimbus said:

How accessible is this location by rail? (It would be helpful if the website said—those for other shows do!)

6 hours ago, Crisis Rail said:

Allow extra 45 to 55min from BOT BR if on bus.

Not very accessible at all by the sounds of it.  So potentially up to an additional 2 hours travelling time (outward + return) on top of the rail journey to Burton.  Not great.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, YesTor said:

Not very accessible at all by the sounds of it.  So potentially up to an additional 2 hours travelling time (outward + return) on top of the rail journey to Burton.  Not great.

Hi

The choice was to find somewhere or cancel Showcase. Which one would you, the exhibitors, the traders and the other visitors preferred?

Yours

Clive

DEMU Committee

• Like 4
  • Agree 5