Severn Tunnel brake van conversion article

I seem to recall an article in (I believe), Airfix Model Trains magazine, of a conversion of a GWR brake van into a Severn Tunnel variant with the enclosed veranda.  Does anyone know which edition it would have been?  It must have been 1980 or April 1981 at the latest....We left the UK on March 31 1981...If anyone knows and could let me know I would be very grateful and try and source a copy via e-bay or somewhere as my copy has been thrown out at some time over the years, or is hiding somewhere very clever.

Thanks.

Mark.

• RMweb Premium

I've looked in the annual indexes for 1980 & 1981 and doesn't appear in either.

The indexs appeared in the December edition of each one, a pity, such a thing isn't included as standard!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

There was an article on GWR Toads in an issue of Airfix Model Trains which includes a Severn Tunnel brake among about five other variants. Photos of each model and brief descriptions of how they were made. Can't remember the date, but 1981/82ish. I'll see if I can find my copy.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a pair of articles with plans, photos and prototype information on various types of GWR Toads. They aren't the articles your after, as no modelling info.

FWIW, its Model Railway Constructor 1976, issues May & July and follow up letters in August & October.

Edit to add.

1977 September does include an article on modelling a range of different Toads, including the Severn Tunnel variety. Perhaps these are what you want?

Edit again to add.

Since you're in Ontario, I should point out that some of this information (but not all) is available on the BRMNA web site, which is based in Canada. Maybe they can assist you in more detail?

http://www.brmna.org/geninf.shtml

Edited by kevinlms
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both for the extra information!!

I'll do some more digging online, the BRMNA website sounds like a good starting point.   

(Plus there doesn't seem to be much that isn't online....most of it good....some, not so much LOL).

Mark.

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I've looked in the annual indexes for 1980 & 1981 and doesn't appear in either.

The indexs appeared in the December edition of each one, a pity, such a thing isn't included as standard!

I think you might have missed it. In the 1980 index there is an article  titled "Toads of the GWR". Page reference is 474-475, which by my reckoning is the September issue. Unfortunately, I can't lay my hands on that issue at present.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, melmoth said:

I think you might have missed it. In the 1980 index there is an article  titled "Toads of the GWR". Page reference is 474-475, which by my reckoning is the September issue. Unfortunately, I can't lay my hands on that issue at present.

So it does - still what can you expect from an LMS man?

I've just looked at the reference (it is September 1980) and in my opinion, the MRC articles I pointed out earlier, are vastly superior. But again, what would I know about the GWR?

• Like 2

Thanks to Dave47549.  It was the article I remembered, the old grey matter isn't quite so bad after all.

It gives me a good idea of how to attempt a conversion. Not that I really model the GWR, my interests lie more with the BR Midland Region, and don't even have a layout at the moment.  But it would be nice to have something different when I do.

Thanks guys for the help. It shows what a tight knit bunch railway enthusiasts are!

Mark.

As KevinLMS stated there were a couple of articles in the press. There was a series by Brian Huxley, which covered all sorts of vans and toads. He made a Severn Tunnel van from Ratios I recall.

I have just found the article in MRC by David Yule. He cut and shut Ratio two Ratio toads.

I can scan next weekend if you want a copy.

There was a detailed prototype article on Toads in MRC May 1976, continued in July 1976 with lots of numbers against lot numbers

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
Additional detail
  • Thanks 1