Railway & Modelling Obituaries

E.R.H.Francis has died.

Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

It's sad to report that Teddy Francis has passed away.

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/

I knew him quite well back in his 'Dart Castings' days. Working on the railway in Totnes at the time and he used to drop in to show me his latest production item which I always felt duty bound to buy! I still have a selection of his Dean etches to convert Ratio coaches in the 'to do' box. a bag of whitemetal bits to detail the Airfix autocoach and other odds and ends.

His series of articles on GWR coaches in the Constructor were always a delight to read and they started a lifelong fascination in Dean coaches. They set the bar for me which I never ever managed to clear!

He was certainly one of our hobby's characters.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Indeed, sympathy to Izzy. 

Teddy was a lovely chap. The last time that I saw him was a few years ago when exhibiting at the Wells show. I was a bit under the weather and he offered me an appointment for some healing at his place in Landscove.

A true 'one-off'.

• 2 months later...

A bit late in the day I'm sorry to say but I have to say that his articles in the Modeller on scratchbuilding panelled GWR coaches were an inspiration to me.  I've still not got up the courage to have a go myself - but they showed me what was possible in this game!

Edited by 5050
  • Agree 1