Donnington Rail Freight Terminal, what's happening there?

matt-b

Hello

Does anyone have any info on the current situation at Donnington (Telford) terminal?

On real time train there are booking now and again but they never run.

It was a brand new terminal built not long ago so seems wasteful just to leave it all empty.

any info would be appreciated.

Matt

Edited by matt-b
Spelling

A rather expensive solution for rolling stock storage... There was a rake of HTAs and a rake of carflats in there the last time I passed. 

However, there has been a new hardstanding laid alongside the siding that heads north in the middle of the aerial shot.

Always seemed a bit odd to lay out a railfrieght terminal here, given as how the connection at Wellington faces towards Shrewsbury, leaving you either with a short (for freight) loop to run round in or a convuluted journey via Shrewsbury to get towards Brum and various main lines?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There are still MoD trains including a rather impressive one of armoured vehicles last July.

there has been stone trains inbound, I believe for the MOD to fix their sidings.

there are now stone trains outbound operated by FL with, I think, the stone that was being loaded at Shrewsbury .

there is also the trains of stock for storage ( although IiRC the car carriers are going. For maintenance ?)

So it appears actually slightly busier than when it first opened 

• Moderators
12 hours ago, lankyphil said:

A rather expensive solution for rolling stock storage... There was a rake of HTAs and a rake of carflats in there the last time I passed. 

I drove past yesterday and they're still there.

The cynic in me thinks that the rail connections may have been 'greenwash' to get planning permission to develop the site, as seems to have been the case in other locations around the UK. There may have been hopes of traffic from a new motor industry plant near-by; presumably nothing came of this?

Is the former GKN-Sankey plant still open?

• Agree 1

I would guess the rail link is there because they would not have obtained planning consent for the rest of the huge industrial park without it? Other than the MOD and construction materials, it is hard to see which of the other businesses currently on site would ever use rail, at the moment. Perhaps Magna, who make car body parts for Jaguar Land Rover?

But still good to see the new hardstanding - that will have not been cheap. The fact that someone has been prepared to make that investment gives some hope that new business is expected.

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

I would guess the rail link is there because they would not have obtained planning consent for the rest of the huge industrial park without it?

The rail terminal was created long after the industrial park. The sidings were previously used for MOD Donnington which had its own internal rail network and (IIRC) a couple of ex-BR 07 shunters. When Donnington lost its internal railway the sidings (and indeed the line out from Wellington) were no longer needed. It was, economically, a quick win for Telford and Wrekin Council to make them into a Railfreight Terminal - it is just a shame that no-one sees fit to use it. Still, at least they can say that they have got one when touting for new businesses to come to the area.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...

I know that it's seen as a white elephant, but I came across quite a few pics of it in use for a variety of traffic...

200130 66773 6Z84 Donnington RFt - Eastleigh East Yd Donnington RFt 7097

66728_DonningtonRFT_11_07_18 66545_DonningtonRFT_26_06_18

56_096_DonningtonRFT_18_05_17 66605_DonningtonRFT_12_06_18

66_111_DonningtonRFT_01_06_16 66-121-6F52-Donnington-8-9-11

This one says that the building in the background is actually the old MOD engine shed.

66431 facing the former MoD engine shed at Donnington

Some nice short trains seem to run from the depot.

66099 66099

66168 Acton Bridge 9.6.11

Under construction in 2008

Telford Freightliner Terminal, Donnington MOD 16 7 08 Donnington MOD rail terminal taking shape 16 7 08

Edited by montyburns56
  • Like 9

• 9 months later...