James May's Big Trouble in Model Britain. - Hornby's decline and struggle to survive.

Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Gold

Of course it will be necessary, in order for the navel gazers, rakers, pitchforkers, and dissectors to claim, each one individually, that they were right all along and all the others were wrong...

Stand by for about 7 pages of froth for each episode.  You can enjoy this as a participant or as a spectator sport, it's a bit like politics in that respect.  The most basic principle of free speech will be employed; that anyone can say anything they like but nobody will take any real notice of them!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

It would seem that it is scheduled to break cover tomorrow night.Though after seven pages on this thread in which every single aspect of Hornby navel-gazing seems to have been exhaustively raked,pitchforked and dissected infinitesmally one has to wonder whether actual viewing will be necessary :sarcastichand:

Phil and I have decided that we'll be on duty with our .44 Magnums tomorrow night to sort out the punks.

Fair warning is given that pointless hyperbole will be taken down.

Well; do you feel lucky? ;)

• Like 5
  • Funny 11

Oh I feel lucky ..... despite my name not being Jim ;) .

I shall be in my comfy chair with a yuuuuuge tub of popcorn wiping the froth from the screen (no comment from me regarding the programme as I can't pick it up where I am - 'out of area').

Good luck Mods.

Cheers,

Philip

• Funny 2

On 04/03/2019 at 21:19, autocoach said:

You haven't met the US rivet counting brigade.   

Then again I just attended a local Coast Division NMRA presentation yesterday by Jack Burgess on how over the last 30 years he has constantly refined his Yosemite Valley. Jack doesn't criticize our missing rivets. He just models that much better than the rest of us. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=EHGkZHLqALY&feature=youtu.be

And this is in a small space as California houses do not have vast basements and have modeling constraints similar to to most of the UK. 

this video starts by mentioning that "this is a 20' x 20' room.." I can't remember the last time I saw a 20' x 20' room in the UK, plenty of houses aren't that big in total floor plan..

• Agree 1

On 01/03/2019 at 22:50, Legend said:

Devon and Cornwall full of tourists . Not so in Margate these days I think . So Peco does have advantage of location.

on Peco the have a big Plus  with the place name of Beer, just how can you forget that!! :drinks:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Phil and I have decided that we'll be on duty with our .44 Magnums tomorrow night to sort out the punks.

Roll the dice...faiths vos jeux....

• Funny 2

27 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Including fulsome praise?

Perhaps you could deflect the critics by having a Poll along the lines of:

• Dislike
  • Meh

Well, it was just an idea....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

So this programme is actually airing tomorrow evening for the first time?

Oh, you mean it hasn't been on yet? Having read some of the stuff on this thread I already feel as though all the experts have had their say and hung, drawn and quartered Hornby.......

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

14 hours ago, AY Mod said:

You'll have to be quick on the draw mate before they start drippin' outa ya holster ! :laugh:

magnum-headerpic.jpg.01f93caf80be0e78ccb41e3d4f92698c.jpg

• Funny 5

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, bgman said:

You'll have to be quick on the draw mate before they start drippin' outa ya holster ! :laugh:

:D

We do have a plan. We'll be shutting this topic off before the show and providing a link to a new topic which will open up after the show therefore limiting the opportunity of anyone who's watched 5 minutes to trash it all for their own personal gratification. Any punks trying to swerve that will be dealt with. Hopefully we then save some people from their uncontrollable self-harming.

Fair comment will be permitted after the show's aired.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

We'll be shutting this topic off before the show and providing a link to a new topic which will open up after the show . . . . 

. . . . and I wonder how fair those comments will be if there's only five minutes of railway content and the rest is about Scalextric, Airfix, Corgi and Humbrol - after all the programme seems to be about Hornby the company and not just Hornby the toy train manufacturer . . . . . 

Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Had you considered making a working version of Oxford's Rail Gun?

Ralph

Lambton58

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/03/2019 at 13:34, Pete Darton said:

Another point are Hornby producing new models and to reduce there selling cost they are increasing the cost of items that are cheaper to produce? If so those who want these costly models should be paying the full cost and not those who want the cheaper models to produce. From pictures seen they 3D scan real locomotives, coaches and other items, this is going to be very expensive when they produce so many different steam trains over the years. Diesel trains like the class 47, 66 were mass produced in real life so the tooling for these should be a lot cheaper for all the variations in colour schemes.

another thought air fix sell models unpainted, maybe some trains could be sold this way. A lot of us are modellers and not people who just play with trains.

Recent years have seen large increases in Railroad prices - perhaps more than can be accounted for by an increase in the direct costs of producing the models.

This year's range has seen some rather keen prices on "new" (re-released) models so perhaps a change in approach (e.g. £50 RRP for a GWR Railcar). They haven't lowered the price of things already in the catalogue - but that wouldn't be good news for shops sitting on stock.

As for unpainted models, the consensus here (RMWeb) seems to be that unpainted, or even un-numbered models, just don't sell well enough in 00 to justify it, frustrating as it is having to paint over or strip a lovely finish in order to do a re-paint.

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Lambton58 said:

Had you considered making a working version of Oxford's Rail Gun?

Phil would have definitely deployed it if he could find who's hidden it at the office!

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

:D

We do have a plan. We'll be shutting this topic off before the show and providing a link to a new topic which will open up after the show therefore limiting the opportunity of anyone who's watched 5 minutes to trash it all for their own personal gratification. Any punks trying to swerve that will be dealt with. Hopefully we then save some people from their uncontrollable self-harming.

I think a Phil and Andy podcast of you two watching the programme (a la Gogglebox style) plus your reactions to punks swerving on RMWeb would be interesting.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coryton said:

They haven't lowered the price of things already in the catalogue - but that wouldn't be good news for shops sitting on stock.

It would mean that the shop had already paid the original trade price to Hornby and now has to sell it's stock at a lower mark up, thus making less profit and perhaps not even breaking even.  It would presumably help to get rid of stock, though.

I am not stating any of this to be fact; I am not in the trade and know little of it's machinations.  But if I were a shop owner prevented from discounting to free up shelf space by my agreement with the manufacture at a time convenient to me, I'd be a bit miffed at being forced to do it at a time inconvenient to me, and when my shelves had already been blocked for some time!

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

With a  concerted effort we might be able to get 'punkswerve' (punkswarfing, punksweft) into the dictionary.

You should make a concerted effort to do this and I will offer all the support I can.  If 'Embiggen', and 'Cromulent', both words I have been using enthusiastically since I was aware of them, can be included, so can one of these!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

If 'Embiggen', and 'Cromulent', both words I have been using enthusiastically since I was aware of them, can be included, so can one of these!

I think we should start up a petition to have Horrocksford included.

• Friendly/supportive 1