BARM Models - Pre & Grouping CAD Projects

Howdy All!

I have had a small handful of CAD models made already, though I think ill start actually showing off their progress a bit, rather than staying on the down low as I have. This serves in some part to remind me to record my progress with these things.

I have done mostly LBSC prototypes in past, though I do have other interests (Particularly NBR, Furnass, & NER) which ill eventually explore.

I do sometimes stray into American modelling, though I haven't anything concrete with that <yet>. 

As it stands, I have two Brighton engines; an E4-X model and a Brighton Well Tank coming out relatively soon, so I may post about that in the next few days. 

I do have a list of other projects I'm currently, will be doing, or plan to start at some point later. I have also started work on a 10' Barclay and another Brighton engine: Hayling Island/ Inspector, so those will eventually get their own thing when the former engines are finished.

image.pngimage.png

Please let me know what you think on these models in future.

Best

Javier

Edited by Javier L
Moving Images to better location
  • Like 10

Despite a bit of a lackluster work week as far as modelling, I had managed to pay some attention to the nearly complete E4-X.

Work has focused mainly on the details thus far, though I was in need of a session to sort out the body "slots". I had been graced by the kindly Tony Teague, who has granted me, at the expense of one international postage, his Bachmann E4 body - the chassis will of course have remained, waiting for the final print product. How great It is to have a working chassis <Personal experience has taught me to appreciate such a thing>

Overall, the model is nearly complete, with the exception of the conversion to a flat kit. I have found more often than not putting it off, as I have wanted to finalize all possible details. Nevertheless she is very well as is, and I am likely to see myself finally exercising my flat kit skills, quite possibly come the end of this week! 

As for the Brighton Well Tank, she is quite done!.. almost - In actuality, she is waiting on a proof of her dimensions overall.

Both engines will be made to fit OO, fittingly down to HO, it being a gauge I am most familiar with. I had received a general caution on the Well Tank for EM gauge. Being a pre 1910 engine, I was forewarned that it would be a more popular gauge to work with. Thus I have found myself  scouring for details on the gauge. 

Do stay tuned.. I implore!

Edited by Javier L
Adjusting verbose sentences
  • Like 6

E4-X Progress:

Have spent a few hours which have proven worth while, as I have finalized all the details on the model(s)!

I have made three separate versions of the engine that will be available. To the right lies the Lbsc variant, followed by the centered Early Southern version, and the Late Southern to BR Period engine on the left.

image.png.6b6abd6e9c97541bd464fc6c94475198.png

All thats left to do now is to cross reference the underside for fitting to the Bachmann chassis, followed by the conversion to the flat kit. It is worth noting that as Is, The LBSC version is ready to upload, as I will be making selections available for the flat kit, but still in offering the full body. I will likely be uploading them all on their own day, that way I will be sure to remember all of them need to be uploaded!

I suppose the next youll be hearing is either progress on the Well Tank, or that the Flat Kit is complete. I will likely follow up on the Well, as Work is just about 98% complete on that. 

Best

• Like 6

After due processies, by which of course I have cramped many fingers, I have finally finished the Brighton Well Tank!

image.png.5b53ea1d8b1dcffc587bea0531033d9f.png

I present the Lbscr Well Tank in OO, EM, HO, and soon to be in Protofour scales! They go from £35-42 ($40-56) depending on what gauge your run. I have made a separate accessories pack for the Safety valves and Whistle/ Boiler Gauge in brass, as testing on the models showed them to be too fragile to print in the Strong Flexible or the Extreme Detailed plastic. 

OO: https://www.shapeways.com/product/EMPHJ8LTC/lbscr-well-tank-oo-works-version?optionId=92855695&li=marketplace

EM: https://www.shapeways.com/product/WSMHPQN3M/lbscr-well-tank-em-works-version?optionId=92851202&li=marketplace

HO: https://www.shapeways.com/product/MFAWQ9TNV/lbscr-well-tank-ho-works-version?optionId=92856181&li=marketplace

Valves OO, EM & HO: https://www.shapeways.com/product/PPXUMJXWF/lbscr-well-tank-acc-parts?optionId=93051988&li=marketplace

I have received some feedback on pricing for the engines I currently have, The E6-X as well as the E5-X. I have thus amended them to a lower price in case anyone is interested in those as well.

Speaking of E-X engines, I had given the chance to line up the bodies of all three engines to create this scene. Here I have the E6-X as left most, E5-X mid, and E4-X right-most. 

image.png.d7489f57aba4b3b82df7eefb6dafe7b3.png

I am reminded by Nick Holiday that I have not finished the LBSC version of the E5-X, somehow it seems to have slipped my mind entirely! Perhaps I shall dedicate a day to finishing that engine as well. As it stands, I currently have a number of projects on the slow burner. I typically have about two or three main projects live, while I keep a select number of other ones at slower work speed. I believe Ill be closing out my projects for this year with a list I will introduce in my next post.

Stay Tuned!

Javier 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a little more than a week I believe, which time I have had little work done in AutoCAD. I have however put a list of models I am (or will be) doing.

So far I have two categories on what type of CAD job im undertaking, this is between Commissions and projects Id like to do in my free time. Commissions usually take priority, though It depends on what time I have to work on them.

The list goes as follows:

Main Projects:

• LBSC E4-X - Commission - Awaiting conversion to flat kit, Upload versions to Shapeways
  • LBSC Inspector Engine/ Hayling Island - General - Partially complete model, will begin recording progress after Well Tank is fully finished
  • 10’ Andrew Barclay (British Gypsum) - Commission - Specific engine to be built for O gauge, Advancing/slow progress, awaiting some drawings, Partial body, will utilize slaters wheelsets

Slip Projects (Slower speed projects, awaiting a Main slot to open up):

• Manhattan 3 Cent Line StreetCar - Commission - O gauge build, body work started

Shelved Projects (Projects on hold till I can work on them again, may be able to get to this year):

• LBSC E5-X - General (Moved from Commission) - Finished model, Requires some fine tuning, Need to finish all versions
  • LBSC 8T Van - General - Kit build/ mainly work on an HO version (Kits for OO are already available), Nearly complete body
  • LBSC/SER Joint Horsebox - General - Body complete, More testing to be done for 3d Print, convert to Flat Kit
  • BEDT #16 - General - Shelved indefinitely, requires reworking of body, requires missing dimensions, ability to refer to existing engine for reference, similar model available; possible Kit bash?
  • Samson - Halted Indefinitely, Early Nova Scotian Locomotive, Nearly complete body

Future (Wishlist) Projects:

• NBR P - General - Drawings attained
  • NBR R - General - Drawings attained
  • LBSC B4-X - Commission - Can be moved to Slip projects after current commissions - Drawings attained, To be moved slip projects in future, No mainstream model to my understanding
  • LBSC D3-X - Commission - Drawings attained, To start work some time after B4-X is finished, No mainstream model to my understanding
  • NSR D Tank - General - Drawings attained, No current model to my understanding
  • LIRR H51a - General - Engine drawings attained, require tender drawings
  • Kitson ‘Still’ engine - General - LNER Experimental loco, Side elevation drawings attained, Require Front elevation drawings but can be done without, no models to my understanding
  • Met, Class H 4-4-4T - General - Will utilize stamp with elevations as drawings basis until proper drawings can be attained
  • LNWR Webb Compound 1320 (PRR Engine) - General - LNWR engine shipped to America for the PRR, General arrangement drawing attained, Could use drawings of original Dreadnaught class
  • Natal - General - First locomotive of South Africa to carry passenger trains, quite small so it may be moved to static models
  • LIRR/CNJ Suburban engines - No model available to my understanding
  • LNWR Class A - General - Requires drawings
  • PRR T class - unspecified - Drawings attained, British import to PRR, no models to my understanding

Static projects (models for things that wont run under their own power, static models):

• Wallis & Steevens “Road Roller” - Requires much research/ drawings, will likely be “improvised”. No known models, several examples of this type of roller survive such as “Gromit”, “Big Emma” & “Sir Lancelot”
  • LBSC Alldays & Onions Inspector car - Drawings miss-identified, will likely adapt current drawing into LBSC version. 

The idea is that the current projects im working on, Main and Slip projects, will be finished by mid June; with the exception of the 10' Barclay, which is awaiting some key drawings.

Tune in next week my friends...!

Javier

Edited by Javier L
Discovery of minor detail that proved false, went back to reflect update.

No modelling today, though I have come with news on the Brighton 400. 

I have received positive feedback on necessary adjustments to make the engine work for P4. It has been worked into the EM model given the spacing clearances both gauges share. The model of course can be found here;

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WSMHPQN3M/lbscr-well-tank-em-works-version?optionId=92851202&li=marketplace

Besides this, I had a brief chance to take this shot yesterday of the HO model I have made. I am unfortunate to not be blessed in the area of painting, though I dont believe it is awful.

image.png.7245a090f63ab8ab0366d0d97824aab4.png

ありがと ございます! <Thank You!>

• Like 5

E4-X Progress:

I have spent the greater portion of today to work on the flat kit, which is coming along very nicely now. The majority of todays work focused on tackling the curved edges of the model, many of which have proven problematic to bypass. 

image.png.6345e147caa16309d67fc191676ef103.pngimage.png.6f1da25bcaa496b7052afc06bdeb74f7.png

Shown is the rear bunker, which ive broken the walls into individual lines and contoured several pieces to fit along the curve (Seen in black lines) to match with the inner wall curve (Represented by the blue line). This has ended up being a success, which I have now cleaned up the section to create the back plate to the bunker. An expanded view of the finished wall segment can be seen on the right.

image.png.dbc795687abcabb894361bdd69994793.png

Besides this, I have mostly finished the sections of all the pieces that will be separating. Depending on how far I will continue, as AutoCAD wrestles me to work these curves. The cab as seen will of course need to be in separate pieces, for now it would have otherwise been in vein!

I believe my next order of business it to take a loom at the Hayling Island engine, next time! Ive decided to move the Barclay into main for a short time, as to finish up whatever pieces I have not finished with my current drawing set. This will seemingly fill the void left by the E4-X once work has completed on it.

Buenos Noches!

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

In retrospect, drawing intersecting sections would have been appropriate. I seemingly miss the obvious solution some times. perhaps its the American Education Systems already done its damage! Ill be sure to try this as I develop more kits, its much appreciated advice!

Im considering doing some Imaterialize prints in future, I would like to make use of the finer resin prints they provide. Im currently based with shapeways, I have The more detailed plastics, along with the white flexible nylon, these are materials available for the models I do have. Of course, given their recent price hikes, I may not need explain myself in wanting to move away from them. Overall, Imaterialize has a lot better quality plastics for much better cost, at least thats what Im hearing about it.

!Shalom my friends

Edited by Javier L

• RMweb Gold

Hi Javier

To help respond to recent queries I have, as you know, built your Shapeways printed E6-X and have the body for the E5-X in hand:

SJPPC15001302181215.jpg.1d26cf37a6ef480f49ffd97f6d1e8003.jpgSJPPC16001302181216.jpg.74d5f73974c7f32f71db7f6eae263abd.jpg

The latter is just awaiting my time to build the SEF chassis:

SJPPC05000302181205.jpg.28572f9a530fa82c9efd19003e0d44a3.jpg

I am very happy with each of these and I am equally looking forward to acquiring the E4-X to complete this trio of large boilered Brighton tanks.

(More pics on my thread, including the E6-X build).

Tony

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

tackling the curved edges of the model, many of which have proven problematic to bypass

Those types of curves have not been a problem for me. On the whole, steam engines are relatively simple to design(exceptions would be the A4s or the Coronations), certainly with the software I use.Large curves do still get 'planked' but can get round that if necessary.

• Informative/Useful 1

Large curves should not get "planked" if you use decent CAD software and use appropriate settings when exporting STL file.  I have done several cylindrical hopper wagons in HO and S scales and the curved sides come out quite smoothly apart from some stepping towards the top due to the printing process itself.  The hopper in the attached photo is S scale and printed by i.Materialise in their standard resin.  The sides have not been smoothed at all and 2 coats of paint have been applied.

IMG_2097.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Guten tag!

I want to say that I appreciate how many people have noticed this blog so far, especially in way of helping me work the models in ways I hadn't thought of! I want thank Tony especially for sharing these great shots of the engines in his possession! You may soon hear news about its cousin outside of the Digital World!

As it starts, id neglected to get many shots of the beginning of the process, So we have skipped ahead to where I have miraculously finished the halves.!

image.png.1bb84d46c1919ae21975b24e69ef99c8.pngimage.png.932fd26d7606a2ad338656bf772aeec8.png

I will say that Im pleased with this method, It took much less time to create than the way I have. I do have a few kinks I need to work out before I add it into the kit this way, though I would like to try.

image.png.0813ac943bc75fc78cbcceac457d4831.png

We have the earlier attempt, seen left, as compared to the rightmost corner, which is the newer approach.

It is fairly close, though in this attempt the corners cut right through the panel (The idea is to try and conceal the gap as much as possible, by having the two pieces meet at the corner throughout). Certainly Shapeways would also try to burn me at the stake given how thin each of the corners get for each piece (Thin walls displease the Shapeways!). I have figured that the end where the top corner tapers off into a rounded point is what is causing the acing, I will have to go back and fix once more. It would be much easier as a flat end opposed to the rounded one.

In the mean time I have compiled almost all the pieces into this shot. I will have to arrange them much better, as these are the live pieces I will use for the kit. 

image.png.c19527301745bcd1e20570a0f76d8bc6.png

We are certainly very nearly there! All thats really left it to refine these pieces, and make it so they have "pegs". I dont know what to call them, theyre sort of ledges where the pieces will glue together, these will mainly be for the running board, where they have no real grip aside from a flat top. More on that later!

!<!<!BONUS MODEL!>!>!

I have been working on an American street car as mentioned in my models list. The basic body work is nearly done on it. 

image.png.3b219390150cb963cd9783906a3d697c.png

I attempted to include the British Gypsum (10" A&B) for comparison, as both projects are starting in O gauge. It appears though that I forgot I was working in MM for the BG, hence we have the gigantum seen here - A MEGA-BARCLAY!!!... If you will..

image.png.02f1e7d05392433821732471ba7d8533.png

I very much appreciate all the feedback Ive gotten, big thanks to everyone whose responded! :D

Until we meet again!

Edited by Javier L
It seems that i'm illiterate
  • Like 5

E4-X Update: Work is almost complete on this engine, With only a few more hours ahead to work out any kinks on the models for this engine.

image.png.161ed497f048adbed5efeca823e1e313.png

Most of the kit work has been figured out. I have a few more items I have to address before I can seriously consider putting it up, though this is generally how the model will present as a piece kit.

A quick question for any of the 3d Market gurus in Imaterialize: I have started to upload my shapeways models to the site, though have become distressed to see that you need to purchase your models first in order to set them to shop. Im in a position where I cant do such a thing for the models I make, so If anyone knows if there is a way around this, it would be much appreciated!

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

You could try asking for an exemption given that you are bringing your business to IM rather than Shapeways, and that the design of the models is proven by previous printing.  Just a thought.

Also, is it your intention to print your locomotive in many parts to be assembled as a "kit"?  I do the opposite, and try to minimise the number of parts, to 1 if possible.  I understand that, especially with a steam loco, it might be desirable to print different parts in different orientation to minimise stepping on curved surfaces.   IM do allow parts to be "sprued" now, with certain conditions, which I now use for small parts like bogies to minimise the impact of the €5 fixed charge per part.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Marbelup said:

You could try asking for an exemption given that you are bringing your business to IM rather than Shapeways, and that the design of the models is proven by previous printing.  Just a thought.

Also, is it your intention to print your locomotive in many parts to be assembled as a "kit"?  I do the opposite, and try to minimise the number of parts, to 1 if possible.  I understand that, especially with a steam loco, it might be desirable to print different parts in different orientation to minimise stepping on curved surfaces.   IM do allow parts to be "sprued" now, with certain conditions, which I now use for small parts like bogies to minimise the impact of the €5 fixed charge per part.

That is not a bad idea, I shall ask them about that for the models I am trying to upload.

I do usually make the models as fully assembled bodies. This particular model has been requested as an unassembled kit, but I am also making the body available as a full body shell. I had some trouble trying to make the sprues work in my last session. For now, the model is seperated into parts, Shapeways would be able to do it in this form if need be.

Large curves should not get "planked" if you use decent CAD software and use appropriate settings when exporting STL file.

That is not totally true. I use top quality software(not a Freeby), but to get planking reduced the file size for the stl file goes through the roof. Annoyng when it only is part of a design, so if necessary I create my own curve , stepped , so it comes out smooth.

With respect to the buy first policy of iMateralise, that is their business model, and I am sure others have asked them to modify it before, one reason  why I stick with Shapeways.

• Like 1

Hey Javier,

I have spoken to tony about your models, and seen some of the finished ones on his thread, they look absolutely fantastic.

Tell me, do you take comissions/suggestions?

Cheers!

Jack

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jack P said:

Tell me, do you take comissions/suggestions?

Hi Jack

I do take comissions, though Im not taking any yet, as I have a couple of them I am working on at the moment. I will be taking them during the summer, by which I will be announcing when the time comes. If you can message me about what you have in mind, we can discuss it further!

Javier