BARM Models - Pre & Grouping CAD Projects

14 hours ago, Jack P said:

Tell me, do you take comissions/suggestions?

Hi Jack

I do take comissions, though Im not taking any yet, as I have a couple of them I am working on at the moment. I will be taking them during the summer, by which I will be announcing when the time comes. If you can message me about what you have in mind, we can discuss it further!

Javier

Minor Update:

I have been again with studies, so little work has been done in CAD. I have sent a piece of the Streetcar kit off for test printing. Seen is the side panel piece, In O gauge, which I am out to pick up tomorrow. 

C6426A96-66FA-46C3-9147-1A73B6CEECE4.jpeg

Javier

Edited by Javier L
  • Like 4

Continued:

Ive received the piece! It happened to take longer as they had a mishap with the print; in that they went for a first try, and it curled. Thankfully this piece came out near crisp, which makes up for the extra time.

EE6D952C-5FA8-4255-8AF6-0C10554CDD88.jpeg

B0722EF8-21FE-4E12-95D1-B36B71735BC2.jpeg

04F39596-A475-4DC9-AFCD-543F6BFD1649.jpeg

Edited by Javier L
(Check out the new black hole pic)
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Im quite proud of it! With this machine I was overly worried that it might not come out. 

I am disappointed in one respect. There were tonnes of little rivets that were supposed to come out on the panel side, C'est La Vie! I will have to make them a tad larger. Ill have to ask again, as I am surely going to try the Imaterialize resin on this project. Does anyone know the minimum detail size!?

~Crazy man

Im not entirely sure on the nozzle width, though Ill see if I can find out about it. I am sure they use Cura for the slicing, I dont know how many other programs Ultimaker uses for that process. 

I have actually been quite surprised as I have stated, the previous two prints Ive done on this printer in particular came out very 'caked'.  I had done a chassis and a Brake Van, the Former of which was unusable, whilst the latter required heavy sanding. This latest print was meant to test how strong the walls were, as this is my first print in O gauge, perhaps it was that I have lain it flat down as I have which saved it. Clearly flat side has come out very well!

I am actually going to see If I can place one more flat kit for this printer, I have an LBSC 8T van Id like to test. I have finished this model by two months now though hadn't ample opportunity to test it. If all goes well, I may very well publish it for Shapeways!

E4-X Update:

Everything is in the green! I await some feedback on it, but for all intensive purposes, it is a finished model!

image.png.22592f21cfdb6e11ec99df9dc5bfb443.png

I will hopefully be releasing all the versions of this model around the same time, which is hopefully very soon!

Best

Javier

Edited by Javier L
  • Like 3

Confusing update:

I may have, possibly, maybe, entirely... misconstrued the request for the E4-X. Ive taken the request for a full bodied engine, and somehow turned it into a full kit project (aye, good, aint I?) Not a problem! Though having spent the last two months working on it, I wont let it bring work morale too low!! In the mean time, the kits I though were requested are available on Shapeways. I will likely keep them there for the moment, though I will be releasing the full bodied models on Tuesday. I wont be posting a link on it just yet, Im still deciding in what to do with them officially. In the mean time, I will take a couple days off after all this. I will need a bit of a breather until I start any model again. My next project has become the NYC Street Car, as the Chap who commissioned me has a train fair coming up. After that, Its on to the Hayling/Inspector engine!! (I promise <3)

Wish me luck lads!! 

Edited by Javier L
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Major Update: The E4-X is ALIVE!!!!  SPLENDID GORGEOUS UP FOR SALE!!!

Presenting the E4-X!!!

It is meant to be affixed to the Bachmann E4 chassis, and does require some fittings, and some amount of drilling to prepare for the Bachmann E4 chassis. Other than that however, it is a complete model!

LBSC Version: https://www.shapeways.com/product/KSQABT64S/lbsc-pre-grouping-e4-x?optionId=98552204&li=shop-inventory

Early SR Version: https://www.shapeways.com/product/5NC4ULX29/lbsc-early-sr-e4-x?optionId=98551339&li=shop-inventory

Later SR & BR Version (Less Rivets): https://www.shapeways.com/product/ESL268UN6/lbsc-late-sr-br-e4-x-less-rivets

Later SR & BR Version (More Rivets!): https://www.shapeways.com/product/L89ULZU7U/lbsc-late-sr-br-e4-x-more-rivets

I have decided to save the kits on the shelf for the moment. I dont think I will be doing anything with it at the moment, despite all the work I put into them.

I have temporarily set prices tad high; If anyone has some spare pocket change and wants one of these, It would help me in further modelling I may do. Otherwise, I should have them normalized relatively soon.

Best Modelling!

Javier

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all again!

Ive returned once more to bring news of CAD!

I have been with some time to work on two projects I have been working on under cover.

The first of these, a Stroudley Era Horsebox to my understanding. I have had this one in the works for some time now, and am nearly done with work on it. I have given a Shapeways it due time for a photo session. I havent found anything on a diagram number, perhaps I havent looked far enough for it. I am aware that SER co-owned these vehicles, So I have been looking into making a version for it in that iteration.

63066729-C822-4AD9-BB87-F38B725DE70B.jpeg

Ive also had a weekend project sometime ago, where I shopped a D.1433 Goods Van. This one is a bit funky, as I intended it for the later livery, though It has ended up in the Pre 1911 guise. Nevertheless, I would consider it well off, and may very well get round to finishing it.

832B48DD-BA50-40F1-9D45-8951FD1D377E.jpeg

Neither wagon is very well polished in Print form. I tend to jump the gun in painting when receiving the print bodies. I am however with a new file set, and should perhaps put them to good use.

In other news, I should perhaps introduce you all to my current main project: The Three Cent Line Trolley.

6BC1B9E4-FAF9-45E2-8F3C-E9F53798372D.jpeg

A marvelous example of Thirties Trolleys in the US, It apparently had no discernible type, and were simply produced en masse (That according to the chap who has requested it. I shan't argue, he seems to be in historical trolley business, but Id be quite excited to find out otherwise). This particular model is of two variants of the same type. One found for the New York Steinway Lines, whilst the other running the Manhattan Bridge Three Cent Lines. 

2D841E30-A70D-4AF4-B91E-99F815FB497B.gif

Thus far, a near body is formed, with some details starting to make their way into the mix. Hopefully this makes for a good experiment, as anticipate ill be trialing this as an Imaterialize resin print.

Speaking of, does anyone have suggestions as to good home resin printers? I am aware of the Photon by Anycube, though I may search other suggestions. Ive reached that point in a modern modelers life now where they've become too expensive to have manufactured.

Peace-O!

Edited by Javier L
R.I.P. Feed, I dont have my laptop on hand :(
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Javier,

I really like the LBSCR Horsebox.  I think the Horsebox is earlier than Stroudley, dating from the around 1850s. I think it's a type 19B (from LB&SCR Carriages. Volume 1: 4 and 6 wheel ordinary passenger stock)

Will you be making them available on Shapeways, and if so, could you do them in 2mm scale?

Many thanks,

Regards,

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Javier

I like the horsebox and goods van - are this in Shapeways lowest grade plastic, becasue I suspect they would look very different in the high grade version.

So my question is, are you going to make them available at the higher quality?

Tony

Howdy guys,

To answer your questions, I am anticipating to make both models in the higher detail plastic. I can also scale it appropriate to 2mm scale. 

It will probably take a bit more for me to work on the Goods Van, As I still have to work out details and brake rigging. Given that, I believe it'll take another weekend before its ready.

• Thanks 1

Hello there Calvin!

I try to keep prices low, but I do charge a higher price initially, that is for someone who's requested a model (~$20-40 depending on the model). After that, the  strong flexible plastic models I sell are set at $15, whilst the more detailed plastics, I have set $10 across all models. For my wagons, Ive set prices for a minimum, under $7 in most cases.

I have messaged you a somewhat more explained version of this, I hope you find it helpful.

Best

Javier

• Like 1

Well, yes!

Perhaps phrasing was a bit off, I dont think Ill be doing the 8T Van in 2mm, unless I decide to do a specific version of it. The good chap Eddie Poole (Stockprints) already has a version of this on his Shapeways shop; so it would be somewhat redundant as im sure his version can be adapted quite nicely for others.

At the moment, I think ive cracked scaling the HorseBox. Nary educated in the ways of this scale, I have made three different versions of the wagons, for 1:160, 1:152 & 1:148 respectively.  Id probably ask any skilled CAD-Wielders about detail sizing, I wouldn't want any of these planks to mesh into one solid wall, any recommended sizes?

image.png.d5a6a7ae3eb5f8716a695c93a4e44b6c.png

bEST

Javier

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 months later...

I have returned!

Apologies to everyone who was anticipating something over the past few weeks; Some personal affairs have prevented me from doing any heavy modelling. Despite this, I have been able to work reasonable often on models, and I have done quite a bit since my last post.

For starters, I have put down the NYC Streetcar for now, as it is finished for the time being. I am awaiting drawings for the floor, which should <supposedly> arrive within the next couple of weeks. I had not recorded much of the progress on it, as at the time; I had believed it was needed to be ready for a Model Show, and had to expedite work. My attention has thus shifted focused to the Hayling Island Inspector Engine, which was nearly complete at the time I last put it down.

image.png.ccb6ee2efa91eeeb03d8718473976b13.png

So far, I have two iterations of the Sharp Stewart engine in model form; one such guise being in its Hayling Island form; along with the other, more infamous form of Inspector. I also have plans to eventually work on the as delivered "cab-less" version. There was an intention to reveal a finished model in the LBSCR Modellers Digest, though with the way things turned out, It had been left where it was. In this time though, I should thank and give mention to the editors of the Digest: David Searle, Nick Holliday & Eric Gates (Burgandy), who have allowed me to make small sections within the last two issues of the periodical; as well, for their help in my research of the LBSCR, I very much appreciate the help!

Besides this, I have now completed work on the Diagram 19B Horse Box & a Brighton 30 Ton wagon in N scale, both available on shop. Besides this, I have a couple of commissions I have laid out for the summer which should keep me busy, and Ive mad into a small list.

The List in order:

• Ex LBSC I3 
  • Ex LBSC I1-X 
  • Steinway Lines Streetcar (For Completion)
  • Andrew Barclay (British Gypsum)
  • Brooklyn East District Terminal 16 (Drawings have now been a acquired, and it will be my first american steamer)
  • Ex LBSC E5-X (Finishing the LBSC Version)

I have recently also purchased & recieved a Photon DPL printer, you could imagine my excitement at the prospects now available in printing models. Now all I need is to become a half decent livery painter, and business will be booming! 

Hope you are all doing well! And of course Ill have to get on with these posts more often! 

Javier

Edit: Was bound to forget something! 

I am in need of some references for the what I can put on the Hayling Island engine, Ill be going shir deep into detailing! If anyone has detail photos on any Sharp Stewart engines or terriers that would be great!

Edited by Javier L
Faulty Memory
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Back again, Ive brought goodies!!!

image.png.8cdbba3a8a9ce6a884633d1383e2ef85.png

Seen here is the first print of the Hayling to grace the world. I had given a go to test out how the details come out on these things, you can see rivets at 0.2mm across!

There were some less impressive bits, though perhaps they stem from a lack of knowing. For one, the Air Brake Compressor was cut at almost half way before it started printing, and there was one spot where the support dug right into the cabside! Both occasions had improper placement of the aforementioned supports, but this is good practice I believe! and neigh significant enough to call a total disappointment!

With this, I am nearly ready to finish the Hayling engine/ Inspector. Perhaps a go in printing the Saloon-ed engine, and ill give the option for both to use (almost) the same chassis.

Bonne Nuit!

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• Javier L changed the title to 3D Printing Escapades! A new Sharp-Stewart Approaches!

Hello Tony

Ive recently purchased a Photon DPL from Anycube. It prints in a resin vat, which hardens with an LCD screen, quite a nifty machine!

Smooth very, and quite fine in layering, there were ~2800 slices in the final print!

9AAF5335-7E4A-4DAA-A5D5-49F94006937C.jpeg

Edited by Javier L
Im a goof
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1