BARM Models - Pre & Grouping CAD Projects

Is that the default green resin that comes with the printer? I dropped my test cube that I'd printed onto a tiled floor and it shattered leading me to wonder about the brittleness of some of the things printed with it.  I've been playing around adding Monocure flex in varying ratios to the Anycubic resin and have managed to print things that are much more robust - at least when dropped.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Is that the default green resin that comes with the printer? I dropped my test cube that I'd printed onto a tiled floor and it shattered leading me to wonder about the brittleness of some of the things printed with it.  I've been playing around adding Monocure flex in varying ratios to the Anycubic resin and have managed to print things that are much more robust - at least when dropped.

Hello monkeysarefun, Its my understanding Monocure is much cheaper that the Anycube, ill probably follow a similar route when the time comes.

This is indeed the default green resin, which becomes quite brittle when dry. I actually managed to break off one of the Brake Shoes & a brake lever right off its rigging for this print! Perhaps I should have drilling while the print was still "Gooey", not that ive started any drilling yet. Im certainly not ready to drop it either!

image.png.a3275835f02c5ae9437c79621ec00222.png

Meanwhile, I decided It was dry enough (Given this of course) to apply a coat of Krylon to the model. so into the bucket it went!

image.png.00ba4dd872a0f6f98b7ec6fd9ef2584c.png

After a couple coats, and a bit of drying, You can now see a texture once hidden by the green transparent colo(u)r. 

It is very smooth to the touch, and very well in appearance, and wile there are some visible striations, they dont stick out enough to distract from the model itself.

image.png.5b5092a547ba176005914a1412ce0d33.png

Some fine tuning is needed now to remove residual evidence of supports that meshed with the model. The particularly nasty one on the cab side will have to be rubbed away for a bit, but ill see that I take care of that before I decide to get a shot of that side!

Uuuh... bye!

Edited by Javier L
These are too fun to go back and correct
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Actually, swelling.

The models seemingly expanded a hair, not by a huge amount, though enough that the chassis didn't fit with the body. I've since filed away excess material to compensate, and will have to adjust the model a tad. Usually for parts that I think may expand, I make a space of .01-.02mm between parts. Ive been referring to MikeTrace's blog on his own printing adventures, he has detailed the issue once before, though ive been skipping around a bit in there If im being honest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Javier L changed the title to How to destroy a chassis, more escapades!

Had a paint session the other day!

image.png.2a772068e27a019c348a8e9363adaaf8.png

Swimmingly I believe, even with some minor bruises. The steps had to be removed to accomidate the Coupling rods, something I will have to adjust in CAD. she does ride a tad high, which ill also be fixing. Other than that, transfers are on the way, and I should be lettering her quite soon! Im not in the business of lining finer that the brushes, but I will do my best with other lining transfers when im able.

I also gave a go at some parts that arrived for this engine. Unfortunately uncle Javier had to discover the hard way when trying to ream for bearings. The chassis is now a conglomerate of 17 pieces hastily cemented together. C’est la vie! I had to print a new one anyhow..

image.png.d2bd2699fdd8510ea07b45b9a3a6e9e2.png

The finale comes with the next print I worked on, the Inspector engine!

image.png.2128cfbb0d9383d7e52aa9b91123f43b.png

Marvelous thing! Im quite pleased with the saloon, save for a lamp iron which unfortunately didnt make it. given a little bit of time to dry however, and she’ll be ready for paint!

Wish me luck boys!

Edited by Javier L
Images
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• Javier L changed the title to 2 fast 2 model! Pre-grouping CAD

Small update

I had done some CAD during the week. And by some I mean..

image.png.ee736d2aa1e3345f010d631c10d01b9e.png

...started a whole 'nother engine.

This is the I3! I had a request for it, and it seemingly took off on its own.

Ive almost finished the Hayling Island as well. I need a few more touches before its finished 100% but its looking very well for the engine!

Javier

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 year later...
On 23/03/2019 at 00:46, Javier L said:

No modelling today, though I have come with news on the Brighton 400. 

I have received positive feedback on necessary adjustments to make the engine work for P4. It has been worked into the EM model given the spacing clearances both gauges share. The model of course can be found here;

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WSMHPQN3M/lbscr-well-tank-em-works-version?optionId=92851202&li=marketplace

Besides this, I had a brief chance to take this shot yesterday of the HO model I have made. I am unfortunate to not be blessed in the area of painting, though I dont believe it is awful.

image.png.7245a090f63ab8ab0366d0d97824aab4.png

ありがと ございます! <Thank You!>

Better late than never, I finally finished off my print of No 400.

IMG_20210517_141959.jpg.45cf739c7a278c3cf9ae1b014eedd0a3.jpg

There will be a full write up in LBSCR Modellers' Digest 13, which is due out in June.

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Oh dear! Its just too gorgeous Eric, im very happy by the sight of it!

Ill have to get you the material for the net issue if its not too late, these things catch up on me too often

Best,

Javier

• Thanks 1

• Javier L changed the title to BARM Models - Pre & Grouping CAD Projects