Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Cost of Modelling

On ‎28‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:06, Nearholmer said:

"This topic comes up about once every six months" so sayeth Kevin

And well he may be right as it has a familiar ring to it!  We are all subject to our financial situation and the disposable income we have for our trains.  Just before I left, I was making about 20 pounds a week but no trains were involved then but cars were.  Coming to the US my income tripled; just as well as my wife and I were married and we bought a house.  With a house came the trains and to pay for them , we each had a toy account; trains for him and dolls for her.  Over the years a lot of each was acquired without spending more than we had allotted. So no big deal!:mellow:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ross34 said:

I was being general ..or you're taking me too literally..

I meant if it doesn't harm anybody else so what.

:rolleyes:

No problem, I understand what you mean and agree. It wasn't meant as a dig in any way...... the perils of the written word and the internet. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Never (probably) going to complain about the cost of high quality models again.

Decided I needed an LMS Period 2 BTO to go with my excursion set. Comet D1746 sides seemed to way to go. Just had a count up of last night's effort:-

Starting pont

• 2 side etches

Solder/glue on

• 18 droplights - etch supplied with sides
  •   2 duckets - whitemetal
  • 10 Door Handles - Etched
  • 10 Handrails / Grab handles - made from brass wire
  • 30 Door Hinges - used etched door handles and filed down
  • 20 door stops - Brass wire through a hole and filed down

On top of this before adding to the donor coach they have to be cleaned up, primed, painted, lined and Glazed. (Just remembered that I haven't done the 6 box vents and 2 louvre vents over the doors and toilets - DOH). Because of the droplights glazing will need 30 separate pieces and 6 window grilles in the Brake and plus making from scratch and fixing 10 Stones Vents. 

A Dapol roof has also been filled, drilled and fitted with 15 Torpedo vents. Add to this lot the chassis and interior cobbled up and painted.

Makes the latest super detailed Hornby and Bachmann offerings look cheap. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 03/03/2019 at 21:40, Philou said:

@TheSignalEngineer,

I never realised bikes could be expensive! My pseudo son-in-law is a 'biker' - £14k for his latest lightweight one!!!! I keep thinking that with that money, my future layout could be one helluva one!! He enjoys his hobby but just doesn't 'get' trains whereas his stepson - my stepgrandson - loves them and doesn't really enjoy biking that much.

Each his own - eh?

Cheers,

Philip

HOW MUCH?? :o  Jeez....I purchased a new car a couple of years back and still had five grand change from that price.

20 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

But not when you calculate fun per hour.  Or should that be new words learnt per hour?

22 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Never (probably) going to complain about the cost of high quality models again.

Agree with your thoughts. To get the concertina and toplight coaches I need/want the only option is kit building at over £100 for the kit including wheels then the 25 hours to make and paint it.

Worth it though, when you can watch your efforts charging around behind a King

• Like 1
  • Agree 1