Looks fantastic with the backscene Luke, the curve really makes a difference. The wooden inset track is good too, look forward to seeing that painted and weathered.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

A couple shots of the class 22 shunting the wharf. This loco suits this layout much more as it’s not got a set region. I hope to be starting some of the cobble effect soon!582802EC-862C-4A1C-9FB0-31FFDA2DD826.jpeg.006276396b5c01c127171b96fed04bba.jpeg26524EAE-BA40-470A-BE66-E414825F1287.jpeg.41e66349eef32c11a2793680a214b762.jpegThe loco has had its disks fitting showing just a plain branchline formation. I may change one end to express headcode at some point if it ever goes on passenger duties. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, OOman said:

Hi Luke the class 22 looks great with its disks fitted, can I ask how you will be making the cobbled sections.

The cobbled section is Das clay pressed down until it is fairly thin. I then stamped it with a small rectangular stamp I made out of pladticard. I left it for 24 hours then painted it with acrylic washes. Some of the stone bits are a bit battered in the photo so they need re-painting.

• Informative/Useful 1

Nice pics Luke, I like the class 22. Shame it's really out of the region I want to model, I'd be able to justify a class 21 when they arrive though, so I might look at them. Good luck with the cobbles, there's some good info on here about making them, I had a go using an old paintbrush handle to make the stamp.

Steve.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sb67 said:

Nice pics Luke, I like the class 22. Shame it's really out of the region I want to model, I'd be able to justify a class 21 when they arrive though, so I might look at them. Good luck with the cobbles, there's some good info on here about making them, I had a go using an old paintbrush handle to make the stamp.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I think I’ll get a 21 as well when they come out. I’ll have a look at what spare paintbrush handles I’ve got. Hadn’t thought of using one of them!

3 hours ago, luke the train spotter said:

Thanks Steve. I think I’ll get a 21 as well when they come out. I’ll have a look at what spare paintbrush handles I’ve got. Hadn’t thought of using one of them!

When I'm back home I'll try and find the link that gave me the idea or put a pic of mine on here, it's only an old brush minus bristles with the metal bit shaped and used as a stamp.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Luke, I hope it's OK. but I've referenced this layout in a post this evening on my own thread.  I've often thought it would be nice to include a small wharf / dockside on a layout, and you've clearly demonstrated there is room.  I doubt I'll be able to produce anything as effective as you've got if I do go for it, but I'm encouraged to consider it having seen how well you've made it fit into the sort of space a micro-layout offers.  Thanks, Keith.

• Like 1

After an evenings work on the layout it feels like I’m finally making solid progress with the layout. The wooden planking on the infilled track has been sanded down so that it no longer fouls the couplings. This has been weathered with a couple of acrylic washes. It’s by no means finished but a good starting place for further weathering. I have also begun the cobbles between the 2 tracks near the bag of match sticks. Took about 40 minutes to do that section so a good indicator of what to expect when doing the cobbles for the rest of the layout.5BB049D7-0DE9-4E81-8380-BD9A8799D700.jpeg.1ced664071028e577bdde84519153706.jpeg

• Like 2

A handmade cobbled surface is really worth the effort, Luke, but unfortunately there are no short cuts. I listen to audiobooks or the radio when I am doing monotonous jobs like that!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sb67 said:

I bet it was tedious, how did you do it in the end Luke?

Steve.

In the end I used the inside tube of the biro which hold the ink. I might cut a bit of the tube off and make it into a proper stamp tool like my other ones for working with clay as handling it is a little awkward and fiddly. I’m probably about half way through the cobbles and I can’t wait to get them all painted and see my hard work pay off.

• Thanks 1

More cobbles today and a bit more building planning. I’ve got some plasticard on order which should come soon so I can complete the buildings which will run along the back scene then I can finish off the cobbles then paint them then move onto the detailing stage. I’m really hoping to get this layout finished in 4 weeks tops as I start my end of year A level mock exams then which are quite important for getting into next years courses and being able to continue with my studies. The cobbles that have been done is the section next to the stone building. 1B58A83C-7B82-42BC-B169-F92B28DFA39D.jpeg.c29ceed6ed5c0cf501f0e1ab24949e8b.jpegI think that these cobbles are the ones that have come out the best so far and I can’t wait to get some paint on it all! 

• Like 5

It’s taken a while for me to decide on what buildings I’d like to have at the rear of the layout but after quite a few mock ups I’ve started a building that I’m quite happy with.B81C1F07-586F-4AF9-88AF-D1EB9EE7CE13.jpeg.f37bfceb09b7d3b628f29f9451ecca43.jpegIts based off the scale scenes free low relief warehouse kit. It’s scratch built out of plasticard , card and corrugated card board. The brickwork has had a first thin coat of mortar painted on top. The areas of card board showing will be covered with wooden plasticard to represent doors once I pick up some more plastic strip tomorrow.

• Like 2

The last bit of cobbles is finally finished! So pleased that I’ve finished them as it got slightly boring by the end of them. 7E94C893-01F3-4F03-9094-40308FB7E6E5.jpeg.73318e1ee3d7fdb7e986805c937eecc6.jpegI’ve also started a barge kit from craft line models. I was very disappointed though. The wood seemed extremely dry and crumby (I’m pretty sure balsa isn’t meant to be like that) and there were some broken parts on the inside of the packet. It could be that the kit was old and had been poorly treated in the shop but the packaging looks to be in quite good nick and isn’t creased. Instead of binning it, I’ve used the etched brass railings, the main block of balsa and some miliput to get a good profile which I will then scratch build a barge body onto.F0637C56-D29F-4CC7-80E1-AC0E59ACBB68.jpeg.0c359998e5b466f0c12f9e2bc376430f.jpegAs half term comes to a close and my mock exams draw ever nearer my time for marmalade wharf will shrink however I feel like I’m well on the way to getting it completed by my initial deadline. I’ve already got a post mock exam layout planned.....

• Like 2