Removing a garage door opening mechanism

Hi folks. I posted a topic some time ago enquiring about blocking off an up and over garage door. I got as far as flooring the garage but then all progress halted for a variet of reasons. However I’m now in a position where I’m ready to install a stud wall to block off my door. This will involve removing the door opening spring mechanism to give me the clearance I need. Before I set about removing the mechanism I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I’ve looked on the net and YouTube and couldn’t find the answer I was looking for. Could anyone advise me as how to remove it safely? The videos etc I’ve seen were talking about replacing the spring, which is obviously dangerous as it’s under high tension. But as I’m just removing the whole thing and not touching the spring as such, is it just a case of undoing all the bolts? I’ve attached a couple of pictures to show the type of door I have. I’d appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

98E11FFD-2B81-4C3E-A6A1-B45B6160AB48.jpeg

3ADD3D5F-77AD-4DC6-9CF0-13E8283BA72A.jpeg

37314C61-875E-42CE-931E-BFC3AE07249D.jpeg

I thought the spring looked dangerous, I’ll just leave it alone. Space is an extreme premium, and the supporting arms angle in towards the top of the door hence why I wanted to remove it. But now I think of it, I can build the stud wall vertical then ‘step’ the wall out to avoid the mechanism. It’s high enough up the wall that it won’t encroach on the space restrictions and it also seals off any drafts. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that in the first place! Couldn’t see the forest for the trees I guess.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure you need to release the spring tension, very carefully, before removing any of the fixings.  I helped to install a previously used one some years ago and it was very, very difficult to re-tension the spring after installing the door.  I wouldn't attempt it on my own and would recommend getting a garage door fitters advice.

Edited by smokebox
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It was 10 years ago that I did something similar, I was not pole-axed by the spring but the design was not exactly the same.  I replaced the door with a full custom UPVC wall and door.  Easily removed if needed.

Edit: ISTR that the spring is at lowest tension with the door fully open.

Edited by dhjgreen
  • Thanks 1

That looks like Henderson door gear. If you look on the Henderson website for instructions on replacing the door cones.

You have to remove the door from its frame to change them. But as you are going to remove the door you would only have to read the relevant section. 

Tools required :

Adjustable wrench

Spanners

Two No.2 phillips screwdrivers.

A set of Allen keys.

Oh, you will also need another pair of hands. Those doors are heavy.

Edited by Scrapman
Add additional tools
  • Thanks 1

I just built the wall up against mine and boxed in all the sticky-out bits as per your own later idea. I screwed it shut from the inside first and built the stud wall on a couple of courses of engineering brick with DPC on top. I hadn't thought about wasps nests though - I didn't seal the door to keep some ventilation (no chance of stopping water getting under the door so best to make sure it can get out again) - time to find some sort of wasp-proof breathable filler !

17 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

I just built the wall up against mine and boxed in all the sticky-out bits as per your own later idea. I screwed it shut from the inside first and built the stud wall on a couple of courses of engineering brick with DPC on top. I hadn't thought about wasps nests though - I didn't seal the door to keep some ventilation (no chance of stopping water getting under the door so best to make sure it can get out again) - time to find some sort of wasp-proof breathable filler !

do you get a lot of sun on the door? If you do it will get roasting in the cavity and those little buzzers won't like that. I left a gap under the door as well, glad I did it as we had rain of biblical proportions that flooded through the garage, at least it had a means of escape. I have since constructed an enormous flood barrier 2 inches high!

I'd be inclined to use duct tape to seal off all the gaps to stop water, wasps, ants and other unwanted things getting behind the dry wall. From the outside it will appear to be an ordinary, usable garage door. Unless the council are invited into the garage they'll know no better.

Thanks for all the replies chaps, it's been a big help. I've got all the materials I need ordered and arriving tomorrow. 

Just playing devils advocate here, but if the council somehow found out, what is the worst that could happen? Would I just be told to remove it or would there be fines involved?

19 minutes ago, Clagsniffer said:

Thanks for all the replies chaps, it's been a big help. I've got all the materials I need ordered and arriving tomorrow. 

Just playing devils advocate here, but if the council somehow found out, what is the worst that could happen? Would I just be told to remove it or would there be fines involved?

Won't be any signs of alteration from the outside, so it's highly unlikely the council would find out, unless of course via any "nosey bl***y neighbours" ..............

3 hours ago, Clagsniffer said:

Dont worry about it. I live in Ilford near east London and garages around here have been changed into all sorts without any one caring. I took the doors off mine 15 years ago and replaced them with windows that make it look rather like a small signal cabin! Next door neighbours both demolished theirs in order to extend their houses, and further down the road other garages have even become bungalows 30A etc! Local councillors know all about it and no problems - things have changed a lot since I was young! 

• Like 1

Unless there is a local bylaw / covenant / (whatever they call it, the only planning requirement would be if you changed the door into a permanent wall. Thankfully we are not in a police state there is nothing a council can do to make you use the garage, and providing you are not converting it in to a habitual room there should be no issues. During some home renovations which required planning/building consent, we converted 6' of a very long garage into a utility room. The main requirement was to ensure fire protection between the house and garage. I assume the worst that could happen is may be you would have to add an extra parking place in the front garden