RhB Allegra & freight

RateTheFreight

Morning all,

I’d been watching some YouTube footage of the Swiss RhB Allegra units (they look attractive imho) and there were some clips of a unit in its 3 car formation hauling a number of freight wagons. 

Is this a regular occurance and if so what’s the reasoning behind it as opposed to running a dedicated freight service? Or is it more about limited freight volumes? 

Either way these EMUs seem to be very flexible as I’ve seen footage of them hauling coaching stock too. 

Thanks in advance. 

Greg 

Tail end freight is still common on most of the RhB, so very regular. The Allegras are very powerful units (without checking, I think they're more powerful than the GE4/4iii engines), last summer's holiday I regular saw an Allegra with an Albula set + Glacier express carriages behind, effortlessly hauling all 12 up towards the Albula tunnel.

They are dual voltage so also run on the Bernina line down to Tirano from St Moritz which is almost exclusively operated with various railcars. There's still quite a bit of freight along that line too so railcars with wagons is common.

28 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

The RhB treat the Allegras as locomotives; I've often seen them performing shunting activities with freight wagons!

I wish I'd taken pictures of that happening at Arosa when we visited. The unit we went up in (no tail load) played about shuffling some stone hoppers for about an hour before heading back down to Chur (again, none as a tail load!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes the three unit Allegra’s are effectively locos with 8 powered axles and more powerful than a 4/4iii. The four car Allegra’s are only powered on 4 axles and used as commuter sets on the relatively flat lines around Chur. The 3 car sets primary routes being the Bernina and Arosa lines where their power allows them to add coaches and freight as required. Mixed trains, especially with containers tagged on the back are common on certain services. The Bernina has always had railcars as it’s main power so mixed trains were very common. The Arosa only had a relatively short period of loco haulage when it was converted to AC, it was all railcars when DC, and it required regular swapping of the 4/4ii’s to even out thermal wear across the class. 

The new Albula coach sets have Allegra style driving trailers on the rear and are regularly seen with an Allegra or 4/4iii on the front. 

The new Capricorn units are arriving from March and over the next two years and pretty much all passenger services will be units or push pull with an Allegra or 4/4iii in two years time. 

The February European edition of Today’s Railways has an article on the RhB’s future. 

34778CE7-04B3-465E-806A-F15D17DEC090.jpeg.8a0ea0172cf6bdf89f1b32bf819328c4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coryton said:

Wow.

They don't look like the most convenient things to use as a shunter.

Driver tends to stay put in one cab and the Shunter controls all his moves by radio so no more cumbersome than a small shunter in reality :) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Similar vein but demonstrates their flexible approach -  Driving car at the front, passenger coaches in the middle, loco at the end and Oh! stick on some post wagons after that.

image.png.4cfd959c427233847b1864b98bee9de4.png

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 27/02/2019 at 20:28, Nutbrook said:

I took this a couple of years ago at Chur, an Allegra shunting stone and cement wagons

Swiss_Tour_2014_072.jpg.1e34cf1b00425f67d8be683ea4faab81.jpg 

For God's sake, don't let anyone at DaFT see that photo. Who knows what they might insist on for future UK stock on new franchises?

• 2 weeks later...