Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Colin Parks has passed away.

Re6/6

A huge loss to the hobby, and to his family of course. That is no age. What terrible news.

Colin's Newhaven Harbour is/was one of the greatest inspirations to my resumption of modelling SR third rail. He had something special.

Condolences to all his family and friends.

• Like 6
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium

Very sad news. Colin was a modeller of the highest ability. I too corresponded with him regarding his model making , he was always willing to share information and would listen if I had additional information that could improve his model. Thank you Colin for some very inspirational modelling. Rest in peace. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I am very shocked to hear of Colin's passing. It seems only yesterday we had a long conversation at D.E.M.U. on all things Southern Electric and he spoke kindly of my efforts in that field. He insisted that I had been a reason for his taking up the baton. I still think he was being kind there but I thank him away.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace Colin

John Wass Hull.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hugely sad news, I remember chatting to Colin and Barry at the Bristol shows when they were at Canons Marsh, always enjoyable and fascinating.

Colin had an amazing modelling talent, his Plastikard modelling is easily on a par with Geoff Kent I think. His EMU models are just breathtaking and as Mike says his Newhaven Harbour was something else.

RIP Colin and sincere condolences to Barry and Colin's family.

Simon

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I can only add to the condolences to Barry and Colin's family. A very sad loss indeed.

Colin used to regularly drop by my layout thread and was always warm and generous with his praise. As others have mentioned, his EMU models are breathtaking, as is Newhaven Harbour.

Sadly, I was completely unaware of his condition, something which I think says a lot about Colin.

RIP Colin. We may unfortunately have never met in person, but I'll miss seeing you on here and your contributions.

• Like 3

Very sad news indeed. A fantastic modeller and very knowledgeable. 

I never got to meet in person, but he was always helpful and his modelling was inspiring.

Newhaven Harbour is listed as attending the Railex show in May.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Very sad news indeed. My condolences go out to his family.

Again, as with Mike Storey, Colin's fantastic Newhaven Harbour and his multiple unit builds, was the inspiration to come back to British outline modelling and SR 3rd rail in particular.

RIP Colin 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I am so sorry to hear of Collin's passing.

He was a truly excellent modeller, but was also very helpful and supportive of we who are not quite so good modellers. His responses to my efforts were always positive and friendly.

I didn't know him personally, but nevertheless, he will be missed.

Jeff Lynn.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I am stunned by the news ................ never met Colin but felt to have known him through his incredible work and his measured & considered comments and views.

Deepest sympathy to those close to him for his passing - a great loss to dare I say .. Humanity ?

• Friendly/supportive 2

I'm so sorry to have to read this. Colin was a truly talented guy and a top gent. Always supportive of people's efforts and always looking at ways to improve what he did.

My condolences to his family, RIP mate and thank you

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Very sorry to hear about the passing of Colin 

My Condolences to the family. I had the privilege of meeting him once when he was showing of Newhaven Harbour a few years back at Burton DEMU show. Was very happy to talk and answer the many questions I had about that fantastic looking layout and stock . He really was a Modeller of the highest calibre and his willingness to share his knowledge with people incredible.

RIP Colin and thank you very much for your time that day and the advice that you gave me.  

He will be sorely missed by the Model Railway community and anyone who new him. 

Regards Trailrage

Edited by TRAILRAGE
Spelling mistakes
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I was lucky enough to see Colin operate Newhaven Harbour at the Tonbridge show a few years ago.  It may well have been its last outing with Colin.  Although very busy operating by himself at the time, he was kind enough to chat with me for a while.

It was the stand out layout for me at the show. 

Exceptional modeller, fine chap.

RIP

A very sad time Indeed.

Just off to find the Issue of RM which featured Newhaven Harbour and rekindle my memories of what Colin expertly created.

If there is such a thing as '3rd rail heaven'; I'm sure he'll be there.

Edited by leopardml2341
Punctuation
  • Friendly/supportive 2