Malcoms Way

Tomsontour

Good Morning all :)

Welcome to my first N gauge trainset. I do have a larger layout planned but I'm using this as a way to ease myself into N gauge and have some good fun at the same time :) Inspired by Trinity Road, I was amazed just what you can fit into a small 4 feet by 2 feet board. But before the track plan lets go into a bit more about the layout...

The name? Well this is almost a tribute to my late uncle, a huge influence on my life, without him I wouldn't have got into this fantastic hobby, or have found my love for railways which has ultimately led me to a career on the iron rails, So uncle Malc this one is for you buddy. He left a large amount of N gauge to me, and I am to put this to good use on this layout :)

Location? Loosely based somewhere in the Surrey Hills, aiming to have a nice rural feel but something that has plenty of interest

DCC? 100% I now have a ZTC controller and I love it, yes it maybe a tad outdated now, but for me its perfect :)

Track? Code 55, I could go down the finetrax route but as this is a starter layout lets not run before we can walk! Points will be manually operated in the fiddle yard but using servos in the scenic section

Stock? Steam is my main preference, although a cheeky Hymek or Warship will be seen. Southern moguls and standards will form the backbone of the fleet, on passenger and goods trains, although the collection has plenty of variations, so no doubt rule one will apply a lot of the time :)

So the basic track plan....

33341905128_c33b95e91e_b.jpgmalcs way track plan by Matt Toms, on Flickr

As you can see I have taken a huge inspiration from Trinity Road, check out the topic on this forum Nigel is absolutely smashing it and showing just whats possible with a board of this size :)

and the scenic idea...

33341905228_79f25c20ed_b.jpgmalcs way scenics by Matt Toms, on Flickr

So the idea is to have the layout on three levels for the scenic. Starting on the left hand side there will be a church, I have already assembled the superb Severn Models church kit, so this will be taking up this corner. Moving down we find the station building on an over bridge, with a footbridge coming down to the platform. Then there is the yard area, I will probably have magnets under the track here to allow for hands free shunting, a small good shed will be in the yard too. a road will lead from the yard area down and the under the main running line, with a pub on the corner. Beyond this will the tunnel/road bridge for the scenic break, with a farm up on the far right hand side. A road will link the station with the scenic break on the other side of the road, maybe a few houses along this road, but hoping not to over crowd the area. 

So ladies and gents I give you Malcolms Way, an attempt at building a layout in N gauge in a space of 4 feet by 2 feet, the board has been started so hopefully i'll have some photos for you all soon

All the best

Matt :)

• Like 2

Can't wait to see how it all unfolds Matt! I like the way you have created more storage space by tagging 2 storage sidings to the inside loop. I agree that Severn Models buildings are excellent. There's a Severn lineside building on Trinity Road. Good luck!

• Like 1

Many thanks Nigel :) the Severn model kits are lovely, I'm hoping to have a few on the layout to help populate the scene :)

Fingers crossed the longer sidings will hold the passenger stock, can't wait to get cracking on now

All the best 

Matt 

• Like 1

So I've been working on this Ratio goods shed for a little while, added a few bits of my own, not that you can see it from this photo, but have added roof beams inside, the skylight still needs finishing and glazing but its coming along slowly. The drain pipes are shall we say fiddly to paint! But I'm really enjoying the challenge of N gauge. Barrels have been added from the ratio range, and yes they still need finishing, but feels good to be making a start :)

33355350158_f022b73a90_b.jpgRatio n gauge goods shed by Matt Toms, on Flickr

And another building started is the Severn Models etched 2mm church kit, today I picked up some etched primer so fingers crossed I can get cracking painting this one up. A beautiful little kit, and shall certainly be getting a few more for the layout, I just hope they do a Southern region signal box at some point :)

46507618594_7af6ca00ea_b.jpgSevern models etched 2mm Church kit by Matt Toms, on Flickr

So that's all for now, but I am making a start on a few of the buildings :)

More soon, 

All the best

• Like 1

Morning all :)

So this morning I have gone and got some polystyrene in preparation for when i'm ready to begin laying track, hopefully this can begin after next payday :) but in the meantime I have been painting up the road bridge. This is the Peco tunnel 

47245676021_d33c7b59eb_b.jpgLRM_EXPORT_174898069145708_20190301_100106415 by Matt Toms, on Flickr

Also adding a photo of one of the N classes I have, I have three currently and this is the only weathered loco of the class, weathered by grimey times and picked up for me by a good friend at Warley last year, and I think it looks superb. I shall certainly be having more weathered by Grimey :) although I have started doing my own weathering, i'll show more in a future update. 

32303578597_52a47ddfa4_b.jpgLRM_EXPORT_239930684592034_20181218_161958192 by Matt Toms, on Flickr

And finally a very quick photo from my small photoboard of the Dapol M7 on a short van train

32303581317_c3c1811e39_b.jpgLRM_EXPORT_290603954222324_20181114_175100698 by Matt Toms, on Flickr

Currently cracking along with the Ratio Station building, so hopefully an update soonish :)

All the best Matt :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Update part one...

Having visited Ally Pally last weekend, mainly to see Lymebrook Yard and wow what a superb little layout, the guys were kind enough to answer a few of my questions and allow me a peek behind the scenes :) so with my enthusiasm fired up I set about hitting a few of the traders, and they helped my wallet out with a workout! First was a visit to Severn Models

46573833785_67f0c704e3_b.jpgModelling p2 by Matt Toms, on Flickr

yup that is a signal box and the interior kit, and yes I will need new glasses for it haha :)

46573833955_c2be3a281a_b.jpgModelling p2 by Matt Toms, on Flickr

Here we have the stables and the manor house, the idea is for this to be a well off horse trainer, and these will sit over on the right hand side by the road bridge and should allow for some scenic over this side :)

47436207282_5ea339e42c_b.jpgModelling p2 by Matt Toms, on Flickr

Next up we have the sidings workshop which funnily enough will end up in the yard somewhere, maybe as a messroom for the staff working in the yard and also a lineside hut or two, im sure one of these will go trackside and maybe another in the yard 

40523128753_bf45a1766c_b.jpgModelling p2 by Matt Toms, on Flickr

Next was a visit to BH, I think I could have and probably should have spent a lot more with these guys, but for now a simple water tower that will sit at the end of the platform

And finally a visit to YouChoos, ive been considering this for some time, and have finally taken the plunge. Pushing myself out of my comfort zone but its the only way im going to learn :)

47436207432_45111fff3f_b.jpgModelling p2 by Matt Toms, on Flickr

This could turn into an expensive play option, but hey why not :)

Part two coming up and includes some actual modelling

All the best

Part 2

So with a trip to Cornwall on Monday and Tuesday I returned with more items left to me in my uncles collection and I've wasted no time in starting to get some track on the board to fully figure out the track plan.

As you can see I have most of the scenic side now sorted track wise, and ive changed it slightly from the original plan, with a 3 way point added in. But moving bits around I think it should offer some good play value, and also allow for plenty of scenic work  The layout will be raised up so I can have a road coming under the track to the yard and also a higher level for the road to run round at the station building level. 

33612460838_3be7f90aaf_b.jpgModelling by Matt Toms, on Flickr

General view over the yard area

33612460718_1d6aa134df_b.jpgModelling by Matt Toms, on Flickr

Now this you will have to use your imagination for. But the track will be up high an embankment will ease down towards the road with a bridge carrying the railway over, A standard 4 shunts in the yard as another Standard sits in the platform taking on water as an N classes slowly enters the station....

32547156997_76169d6233_b.jpgModelling by Matt Toms, on Flickr

Like I say you will have to use your imagination, but hey its a start :)

All the best

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Not a huge update but I have been continuing to collect items for malcolms way :)

Today I successfully installed a youchoos sound decoder and speaker into one of my n classes, very nervous doing it but man it sounds great :) hopefully an update over the weekend on how I'm getting on :)

Also I've decided I will be modelling this as though it's autumn so hopefully that will allow to get creative with the scenery and something you don't see modelled all that often, perhaps I'm about to find out why haha

Anyways pics to come soon 

All the best matt :)

• Like 1

Not a huge update but I have been continuing to collect items for malcolms way :)

Today I successfully installed a youchoos sound decoder and speaker into one of my n classes, very nervous doing it but man it sounds great :) hopefully an update over the weekend on how I'm getting on :)

Also I've decided I will be modelling this as though it's autumn so hopefully that will allow to get creative with the scenery and something you don't see modelled all that often, perhaps I'm about to find out why haha

Anyways pics to come soon 

All the best matt :)

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

All change on Malcolms Way! 

Having had a play with the layout in its current form I have made a decision... 

Yup I'm starting afresh. A little more storage room at home has allowed me two four foot by 3 foot boards. This opens up the opportunity to really grow this layout. Gone are the tight curves, hello 4th raduis. I noticed on the orginal layout some locos were struggling, well I did have first raduis at certain points. So with the added length and width I can have more realistic curves, slightly longer trains and just have something I can really get my teeth into. The track plan will mainly be staying the same, just less cramped and have a slightly more open feel :)

Shall be making a start on the new baseboards in the new year, so hopefully I can have some track down and wired by early next year. But for now I wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy New year :)

All the best 

Matt 

• Like 1