Freight on the WCML

nhdesigns

I am looking for some prototype help. I'm modelling a freelance layout set in the West Midlands. I only know that intermodal/container traffic is often seen, as well as departmental stock from Bescot yard, if I'm right. But I'm sure there's more than that operated on the WCML, but what else?

I'm modelling the 1980s BR blue and sector eras up to the present day operating companies if that would be of help.

I remember being on Wolverhampton station in the early 90s & seeing class 58s haul MGR trains from the west through the station around the curve towards Walsall.

Bescot had several locos parked in the yard. This was & still is a large railway civil engineering yard.

Class 58s could usually be seen in the yard at Saltley.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

80s-90s period : Gulf Oil trains to the Albion terminal , Oil trains to Rowley Regis , Rugeley & Ironbridge Power stations , BOC tanks to Wolverhampton (Monmore Green) , Steel traffic to Wolverhampton steel , Wednesfield Road (wolves) , Wednesbury , Great Bridge , Brierley hill & Round Oak . Chemicals traffic to Langley Green (Chlorine and phosphorus) , Cars from Longbridge , Scrap from Handsworth , Bilston & Saltley . China clay to Stoke . Coal to Rugeley & Ironbridge Power stations . Household coal to Pensnett , Shrewsbury & Gobowen . Cement to Oakengates , Handsworth & Curzon street (Birmingham) . Concrete sleepers from Washwood Heath (west end) . Freightliners to/from Lawley street & Dudley Terminals . Imported metals to the smelter at Bloxwich . Stone to Witton . MOD traffic to Donnington . Fertiliser to Alscott (south of Shrewsbury) .

Edited by nexusdj
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nexusdj said:

80s-90s period : Gulf Oil trains to the Albion terminal , Oil trains to Rowley Regis , Rugeley & Ironbridge Power stations , BOC tanks to Wolverhampton (Monmore Green) , Steel traffic to Wolverhampton steel , Wednesfield Road (wolves) , Wednesbury , Great Bridge , Brierley hill & Round Oak . Chemicals traffic to Langley Green (Chlorine and phosphorus) , Cars from Longbridge , Scrap from Handsworth , Bilston & Saltley . China clay to Stoke . Coal to Rugeley & Ironbridge Power stations . Household coal to Pensnett , Shrewsbury & Gobowen . Cement to Oakengates , Handsworth & Curzon street (Birmingham) . Concrete sleepers from Washwood Heath (west end) . Freightliners to/from Lawley street & Dudley Terminals . Imported metals to the smelter at Bloxwich . Stone to Witton . MOD traffic to Donnington . Fertiliser to Alscott (south of Shrewsbury) .

Wow that's quite a lot of freight traffic indeed. Thanks ever so much for this. I'll be sure to look at having some china clay tanks and waggons, as I can easily get them from Kernow Models since I live in Conrwall! I do have some railfreight BDA waggons with steel girders as their load and some others. BOC tanks are certainly something I do like the sound of having. I never really thought of coal traffic being around the West Midlands unless it was diverted or coming from Wales and the south.

Here's some photo sites:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/richard_davies_collection/albums/72157628468483863

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rivercider/sets/72157631886693075/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52554553@N06/albums/72157636832767166

Coal mining was a staple industry in the West Midlands from at least the 17th Century; my sister (a geotechnical engineer) found workings going further back than that when surveying routes for a road near Dudley. The whole story of the Industrial Revolution pivots around Abraham Darby's use of local coal to produce coal for iron-making.

• Thanks 1