Heljan 7mm Class 56

delticfan

Hope you all don’t mind starting a new thread but I got a copy of The Power of The Class 56 at a second hand stall at the weekend, printed in 1983 it has loads of great BR blue photos, with only 56036 and 56085 in large logo. The Romanian examples look great covered in coal dust and I’m hoping Heljan make the body shell so that the cabs could be swopped on later issues a bit like the 20s. What examples are we all wanting of this varied class, for me I would love a Romanian one but the shape of 56077 etc would be good too, in banger blue with maybe large logo.

I'd love to see a weathered one of the 5609X - 5610X LoadHaul examples, that used to shake the offices at Polmadie in the years 1998 - 2000 as they passed on loaded coal or iron ore workings.  Twenty years ago but it feels like a fortnight!

• 7 months later...

I keep looking at the can front windows and can't decide if the rake from the sides into the roof is too pronounced and the windows are too high above the 'shelf' of the cab front. Need to look at more pictures I think and find a head on one to compare. All in all though it's certainly looking like a 56!

Edited by D6775

• RMweb Gold

Gosh.  It isn't until you examine the prototype with a really critical eye that you appreciate all the subtle details in its shape.  I have looked a little more critically than I have before because the CADs above simply do not look right.  I agree that the dome above the cab appears too shallow, and so too angular (indeed, it reminds me of the available O gauge kit of the 56 which has never looked quite right) - though I appreciate that perspective is important (although it looks too shallow in all the CAD shots, to my eyes).  Neither am I certain (from the attached photo) that the windows are parallelagrams; is the upper edge parallel to the lower edge?  I am not sure.  But also wrong, surely, is the sudden change of angle in the cab sides, just below the cab side windows.  On the CAD there is a distinct line, where, on the prototype, no such line exists.  That attached photo, I think, demonstrates the mistake.  Note how the gradual taper of the cab is apparent in the line immediately behind the cab door (although I appreciate that the angle may become more pronounced towards the top).  Note also that the bottom of the cab "dome" is rounded, whilst the top of the windscreen is flatter - creating a deeper recess in the middle of the cab windows (where the windscreen wipers are mounted) than is present at their outer edges.  I can see that it is a really tricky shape.  But I do hope that they can get it right, since this could be a model with real presence.  

On a different note, what, I wonder, is that device in the centre of the chassis behind the circuit board (and what are the plugs for in the chassis)?  Smoke?

Finally, and as always, the cab appears to be a work of art.  

I'm very excited about this one; I do hope they can get it spot on.

PM

Screenshot_2019-10-05_at_11_23_23.png

Edited by uk_pm
  • Like 2

the winscreens do indeed appear too square on the CAD, also way too small. definitely  a curve on the bottom no present on the cad, and indeed also missing are the eyebrows created by the roof above the windscreens. admittedly it still is a work in progress, but the face really needs to look right or it won't sell as well as it should, and personally, you can keep the smoke generators, they never look real anyway and are just gimmicks. dont fit them and knock £10 of the RRP

It seems to be a matter of perspective.

Some of the computer generated images indicate 'roof doming' which perfectly matches that of the prototype, others not quite, but it's more the viewing angle.

There does appear a bit of curvature on the lower edge of the front windows not that evident in the computer images - again, perhaps its just viewing angle / perspective, or simply the resolution.

Al.

The cab windows can be very subjective, the different batches are really quite different among the 12":1' class members. The Doncaster builds in particular to me look like the windscreens finish more than an inch lower on the cab front than the Romanian and Crewe builds. Whether that is a result of the roof dome being different between the different batches or the windows are actually located differently, I'm not sure. The one thing I know is that when you compare 56303 and 56312 side by side, they are VERY different.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 04/10/2019 at 19:43, D6775 said:

I keep looking at the can front windows and can't decide if the rake from the sides into the roof is too pronounced and the windows are too high above the 'shelf' of the cab front. Need to look at more pictures I think and find a head on one to compare. All in all though it's certainly looking like a 56!

I had thought exactly the same re the front windows being too high above the 'shelf'

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sun Chariot said:

Has Heljan got any O gauge Diesel release spot on ?

Of those produced already, I think the Class 45 Peak was probably their best effort in capturing the correct body shape

The 05?, 20, 33? & 42 are pretty good I believe but many others need a bit of correction, some more than others.

The forthcoming 03 looks good although it is not such a difficult shape to reproduce I guess.

It is a bit encouraging that with the 56 they appear to be (finally) asking modellers for their thoughts from the initial CAD images because in the past it was basically there is your loco buy it or leave it!!

Hopefully the new 47 with have time spent on it to get it spot on because if they do they will sell loads. Surely it is worth taking the time to get it 100% correct.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The later 25 is very good as well.

That said, as the original comment suggests, there have been plenty of irritating gaffes, so pleasing to hear they are soliciting feedback. Retooling the 47 is a costly lesson when you think how many Hymeks they will have sold after the latest batch.

Hattons A4 and A3, the 45, 25, 52, Falcon, Warship and 20 are good for me. The 40 and 37 less so but still ok. The Deltic is pretty horrible so is the 47 but on the whole not too bad. Hattons took on board loads of constructive comments for the A3 and A4 if they do the same for the 56 it will be a cracking model but that’s Ben Jones job to ensure it happens. If you don’t like their stuff you can always buy an MM1 kit but you’ll be forking out another 3 or 400 quid extra assuming you can wield an airbrush. 

6 hours ago, admiles said:

As far as I'm aware (and I'm happy to be proved wrong) the MM1 kit hasn't been available for many years.

Wasn’t being specific to any MM1 kit I just meant your choice would be to kit build if you weren’t happy with Heljan.

On 27/02/2019 at 10:24, 'CHARD said:

I'd love to see a weathered one of the 5609X - 5610X LoadHaul examples, that used to shake the offices at Polmadie in the years 1998 - 2000 as they passed on loaded coal or iron ore workings.  Twenty years ago but it feels like a fortnight!

Only on coal traffic and the dog food from Deanside, no Iron Ore as the Ravenscraig circuit had stopped by 92.

4 hours ago, thedman said:

Two name and numbered version to be released by Heljan will be:-

56101 ‘Mutual Improvement’ in trainload coal and

56110 ‘Croft’ in trainload construction 

56110 in numbered construction sector....awesome, one i won't have to repaint or number