Heljan 7mm Class 56

delticfan

Is there any updates on this, I have seen a later video of what I assume is a demo model running. I must admit that it looks a little 'square' to my untrained eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT2Zi870-_Q

Does anyone know where I can find out the latest updates, Hattons appear to be the best source of information at the moment. The option for a smoke generator would be great.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=597

28 minutes ago, APT Fan said:

Is there any updates on this, I have seen a later video of what I assume is a demo model running. I must admit that it looks a little 'square' to my untrained eye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT2Zi870-_Q

Does anyone know where I can find out the latest updates, Hattons appear to be the best source of information at the moment. The option for a smoke generator would be great.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=597

There's a lot of guides posted on the previous page that show a number of flaws with the shape of the Heljan Class 56. Nothing new though.

• 6 months later...
49 minutes ago, uk_pm said:

Latest samples from Heljan: https://www.Heljan.co.uk/post/national-grids

Sadly, I'm sure there's something wrong with the front end - but I can't put my finger on it.  

Gosh -  its hard to know where to start - as I'd say there's lots of small cumulative errors going on there - the cab roof profile looks wrong - particularly the leading edge/out extemities/corners - The look of the cantrail grilles suggests overall that the roof is a wee bit too flat , the relationship between the windscreens and the cabside windows looks 'off' as well.   On the BREL locos the cab roof doesn't have the same shape 'footprint' as  the bodywork it sits on so they have a distinctive overhang from the gutters - its a feature that is sometimes not always apparent depending on how the loco has been painted, but its most obvious on the cabsides- and looks like Heljan have picked that up - nice .   Its not present on the Romanian built ones which are totally different - I always thought, aesthetically , the Romanian cabs had the nicest cleanest 'lines' -  The track /low level shots look far better and  make the cab errors less obvious i think - 

Jon 

Edited by 43179
only 4 hours sleep - cant spell
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, uk_pm said:

I'm sure there's something wrong with the front end - but I can't put my finger on it.  

This general comment nowadays always makes me giggle. I'm sure there's something wrong with my backend too, but damn, I just can't put my finger on it.

• Funny 1

On 04/11/2019 at 18:31, tomstaf said:

Hi Ben, Brian and team Heljan, thanks for sharing the 56 CAD recently. It looks like with a little more time spent you’ll be on the road to a top model. I’ve pulled together a list of core issues with the model CAD that can help you correct it. I know how time consuming and difficult it can be to make things right on CAD so hope this fresh view helps you correct the artwork so you can bring a decent model to market. I know lots of us are really excited by this model and want to support you bring out a great model of the 56 :sungum:

HJ 56 recommendations final pdf.pdf 33.44 kB · 78 downloads

Cheers

Tom

HJ issue 3 and 6.jpg

HJ issue 4 7 8 & 9.jpg

HJ 56 image issues 1 2 .jpg

HJ issue 3 & 5 .jpg

Just leave that there, from 2019…

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

Why?

Because it’s true?

The windscreens and the cab side windows both have issues - this is perhaps disguised to a degree by being painted black on the large logo models, unlike the rail blue models where they’re bright yellow. 

Jon

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, 43179 said:

Because it’s true?

The windscreens and the cab side windows both have issues - this is perhaps disguised to a degree by being painted black on the large logo models, unlike the rail blue models where they’re bright yellow. 

Jon

Well, they looks stunning to me. The model captures the sheer weight, bulk and presence of the real thing. Customer pre orders of 50+ so far also make it the most popular 0 gauge diesel release to date. For me anyways.

I am also lucky in having seen them in the flesh. Too many folk seem to form instant impressions from pre production images.

Edited by blueeighties

I must say I find it odd that folk seem to turn a blind eye to quite obvious discrepancies in 7mm models, such as the whole bodyside being too low on the HJ37, yet scream blue murder if the driver seat is half a mil out on a 4mm model.

Saying that though, to reach the same standard of build and finish from kits would take a hell of a  lot of work, a hell of a long time, and awful lot more money than what Heljan offer RTR in 7mm so they definitely deserve praise for continuing to offer these locos' at decent prices.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Monkersson said:

I must say I find it odd that folk seem to turn a blind eye to quite obvious discrepancies in 7mm models

I went to school with twins. Some people couldn't tell them apart some could. In RMWeb world, the ones who could were wrong!

Edited by Hal Nail

I’ve got two locos on order large logo and br blue, £1200 is a fair bit of cash so if one doesn’t do it for me I’ll have to dump it, down to personal pref I suppose. There’s a lot of distraction on the large logo and I agree it captures the bulk and hides most things I’m not too happy with. I agree not to read too much into the pre orders but you don’t get much chance to see the real locos until they drop through the door and it’s too late then. The 56 will be a sell out in some liveries so it’s a bit of a gamble, sods lawbr blue will look ok but I’ll have to make the call at some point, guess it’s my money. Would love a Romanian front end in br blue but doubt it’ll happen.

14 hours ago, Monkersson said:

yet scream blue murder if the driver seat is half a mil out on a 4mm model.

Saying that though, to reach the same standard of build and finish from kits would take a hell of a  lot of work, a hell of a long time.

Personally I think in 00 people are more accustomed to having multiple locos to choose from, for example the Heljan 25. If people weren’t happy with that, they can wait for Bachmann or slw models.In 0 there is no other choices other than expensive kits, which is why any RTR is seen as a great thing even if the model is flawed. I also think many won’t notice the shortcomings, that’s fine. My main issue is that they were pointed out ages ago and nothing was done and from my perspective they weren’t even acknowledged.

Edited by Class 158 productions
  • Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

An update on Tower today to say these are en route. Looking at their livery photos, many of which are fairly side on, it seems to have the same flattish plane across the windscreens as the 47, which may be contributing to the feeling that something is amiss.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...