The Billy Bookcase layouts

Phil Parker

57 minutes ago, sjrixon said:

I always thought the Ekby could have a layout on top, with the stock in the draws to put it away. Watching this with interest, but don't we need a full forum for them all :)

Why not!? It would be great to have hundreds of layouts based on these units! The more the merrier :) If so we should all be taking out shares in Ikea mind! :laugh_mini:

2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If this goes well Phil, how about upping the ante for the next challenge and designing a layout to be fully self contained in one of these?

I ponder the possibilities every time I am in Ikea!

https://www.ikea.com/es/en/products/storage-furniture/wall-shelves/ekby-alex-shelf-with-drawers-white-art-20192828/

Mike.

I've also considering the Ekby as the basis of a layout - I've been considering using two for an O gauge layout. The built-in shelving will provide excellent storage too! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Here is another plan for the same area. Like the previous one it's drawn using AnyRail 5, but this time I've shown the part numbers. It's based on The Art of Compromise--not the version created by Chris Ford, but the original plan by Roy Link from the October 1978 RM (a copy of the plan also appears in the October 2018 RM too, along with an article by Chris Ford as to how he created the new version (published after the layout had been sold, to mark the 40th anniversary of the original plan).

BRM-Compromise.png

Like the Roy Link original, it isn't possible to run round a B-set in the loop, but you could run round a single coach--a Collett or Hawksworth brake for example, or an auto-trailer.

Edited by D9020 Nimbus
  • Like 5

Hi, how about this plan...

The concept is a goods-only light railway that - at one end of its route - makes a junction with a 'mainline' company's rural branch line on a somewhat awkward corner…

The original 'mainline' company's feelings towards the minor line ranged from apathy to antipathy, and they required the light railway to fund most of the station and keep most of the engineering works to 'their side' of the boundary line. That's resulted in some odd shunting that makes the driving staff swear from time to time.

It's very loosely based on Cliff Common on the DVLR. (Well, when I say 'based on' I mean I looked at it for inspiration and then monkeyed about with the idea significantly).

I have to admit I wasn't thinking about it sitting in a book case, and it's just using the shelf as a plank. Is this an error?

scar-stray.jpg

Edited by BackRoomBoffin
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This is my attempt.

692304921_Screenshot2019-03-03at09_17_37.png.85cc9764d3f351df378dafc4de2e3a96.png

It's two layers, a goods yard on the bottom layer with a small sector plate allowing for a removal of trains, possibly shunted by an 08. There are challenges with a lack of a run round. 

The line in orange would be a single line to a platform going out behind some tall buildings. I would envisage a Dapol 121 shuttling back and forth. on this.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sjrixon said:

While I like the track plan, any mention of running around a collett gets my vote, but you would need a fiddle yard/stick and that 's going to be quite tough on the 3rd shelf :)

One of the beauties of using a standard sized shelving unit such as this is that it offers a great opportunity for expansion and amendment over time. I think the strict parameters imposed mean that it requires some very careful and somewhat lateral thinking. Obviously it lends itself to 2mm scale, and definitely 009 scale, but there are already some excellent small layouts in existence on the forum based around Ikea shelving units in a variety of scales. Notably see NHY 581 and his 'sheep-based' layouts! :laugh_mini: There absolutely wonderful. 

1 hour ago, BackRoomBoffin said:

Hi, how about this plan...

The concept is a goods-only light railway that - at one end of its route - makes a junction with a 'mainline' company's rural branch line on a somewhat awkward corner…

The original 'mainline' company's feelings towards the minor line ranged from apathy to antipathy, and they required the light railway to fund most of the station and keep most of the engineering works to 'their side' of the boundary line. That's resulted in some odd shunting that makes the driving staff swear from time to time.

It's very loosely based on Cliff Common on the DVLR. (Well, when I say 'based on' I mean I looked at it for inspiration and then monkeyed about with the idea significantly).

I have to admit I wasn't thinking about it sitting in a book case, and it's just using the shelf as a plank. Is this an error?

scar-stray.jpg

I really like that concept. I'm a big light railway fan,  including of the DVLR, so it is really good to see an idea based around this. Again, the size limitations imposed mean that it is maybe more suited to a goods only scheme with short wheelbase wagons and small shunting locomotives. 

14 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Here is another plan for the same area. Like the previous one it's drawn using AnyRail 5, but this time I've shown the part numbers. It's based on The Art of Compromise--not the version created by Chris Ford, but the original plan by Roy Link from the October 1978 RM (a copy of the plan also appears in the October 2018 RM too, along with an article by Chris Ford as to how he created the new version (published after the layout had been sold, to mark the 40th anniversary of the original plan).

BRM-Compromise.png

Like the Roy Link original, it isn't possible to run round a B-set in the loop, but you could run round a single coach--a Collett or Hawksworth brake for example, or an auto-trailer.

I do like the art of compromise plan. You reference Chris Ford's attempt at it - I know he had issues with squeezing it in to the necessary space and making things work. I think there was another case of the 'optimistic pencil' in the planning stage! :laugh_mini:

I'm going to get some point templates and wagons out to see whether any at all is possible in 7mm scale! Unlikely, but God loves a try-er after all!! Definitely no room for turnouts but careful use of a sector plate might mean that something is possible...... 

Edited by south_tyne
Added some stuff....
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think the size of 760mm x 260mm - roughly 30" x 10" in old money - lends itself quite well to a minimum space 2mm/N layout, but as has been said allowing for an 'add-on' fiddle stick is probably where the challenge lies. Indeed, the 2mm scale association currently has a Diamond Jubilee layout challenge going for it's anniversary in 2020. Here the size limits are 60cm x 9.42". The dimensions are of course for the years, and the gauge, so explain the mix of measurement standards.

However, it's not quite so easy designing a layout using fixed dimension RTL track rather than being abe to adjust pointwork to suit the space and then handmake it. But I do think that perhaps 'less is more' is the key whatever.

Izzy

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

I've actually got an OO based one on the go, but so much else has intervened it's not progressing at all. Extreme simplicity, one turntable, no points. Its a micro locomotive depot.  The opaque plastic on the shelf above hinges down to act as a dust cover.

15516213600281187224548.jpg

Graphic1.GIF.25c634fe20b6c60d4503ff96fcc4ad38.GIF

The turntable is a Peco N gauge one with a 4mm deck slung on top, which scales to a good approcimation of 40 feet. The office is Ratio.

Edited by JimC
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Neil said:

You could have one of these in EM, or four of them in N gauge.

950358949_si02.jpg.f6ed6ad0be81b10b8a5b83e47c6aa962.jpg

1463673307_si01.jpg.416d80c776ce28b34ce5a2d42b065c18.jpg

Neil,

A true classic of the genre. :yes:

David

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

BRM-Compromise.png

I have a feeling that a couple more inches could be squeezed (squoze?) out of/into this by  building it on a diagonal, with the right hand side  being moved up into top right corner, and the left hand side moved down into the bottom corner - you never know when a couple more inches may be handy!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, shortliner said:

I have a feeling that a couple more inches could be squeezed (squoze?) out of/into this by  building it on a diagonal, with the right hand side  being moved up into top right corner, and the left hand side moved down into the bottom corner - you never know when a couple more inches may be handy!

For a 76 cm x 26 cm shelf, the diagonal gives you an extra 4.3 cm (1.7 in); taking into account the width of the trackbed (6 cm would be prototypical in 4 mm/ft scale) that comes down to just 2.6 cm (1.0 in). Of course a curved formation would give you a bit more length. Assuming a continuous radius with the track centre 3 cm from the front edge at the ends and 3 cm from the back edge at the centre, you get 89 cm (35 in, i.e. extra 5 in) on a continuous 46 cm (18 in) curve - that is, I think, the maximum length you could squeeze in.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Neil said:

Lovely to see Shell Island in this thread - I've never seen it in the flesh, sadly, but it is truly inspirational at every level.

In the context of this challenge / invitation, I wonder if one of many things that gives it such atmosphere is the additional width (15", I think I read somewhere). The length is fine for Billy, but the ratio of 2:1 (width:length) is quite different (Billy is 3:1, though was this a Barry Norman diorama recommendation at one time?). Anyway, keeping to the width (and straight) presents a further challenge, I guess.

One thing in the contributions is the choice between a self-contained layout and one which either removes for operation or has some other means of adding to the sides: hat's off to those sticking to the shelf-contained option.

With 23 pages of micro-layout threads to look through on RMWeb (nearly 600 topics) plus Carl Arendt's website (250 micro-layouts plus small layout updates since May 2002), there's plenty of expertise out there (oh, and over 60 million Billy bookcases worldwide per a 2017 BBC report).

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Okay, here's my effort, done with Anyrail 6. I used Peco code 80 because it is more versatile than the code55, and is also easier to work with/lay IMHO. As Anyrail overlays the product codes I have done it without.

1815349764_Ikeaplankplan01.jpg.8a7b351d5110856214d644fba63926e6.jpg

Platform behind the track so the train hides the fact no passengers ever get out. Track, and particularly goods sidings, at the front for easier hand un-coupling if needed. Room for some buildings/scenery towards the rear.

On a curve so only the loco release is a reverse curve. Enough room in the headshunt to take up to a small tender loco, Farish 4F or 2MT, or Diesel such as a 24 to 31. Maybe a 37. Platform could cope with a couple of Mk1's + loco. Not sure what the loop will allow in the run-around stakes.

Personally I would use a 1/2 car dmu plus loco for goods/parcels whatever you fancy etc.

Izzy

• Like 5

12 hours ago, south_tyne said:

I really like that concept. I'm a big light railway fan,  including of the DVLR, so it is really good to see an idea based around this. Again, the size limitations imposed mean that it is maybe more suited to a goods only scheme with short wheelbase wagons and small shunting locomotives. 

Yes, I really only intended the 'mainline railway' (which is a light railway really, considering the nature of that curve) at front to have minimal passenger services - an autocoach, or just one Victorian 4-wheeler and a brakevan. It's a shunting layout disguised by a station.

More goods-only fun... (This could get distracting - this whole thread has taught me Anyrail!)

I remember seeing a picture in Railway Bylines of a railway yard in Kent (I think) where the yard was alongside a canal wharf but the railway track exited through a tunnel which had originally taken the canal onwards but had since been filled in and rails added.

And so the attached sprung up. Maybe it's where the good-only line mentioned previously is going to...

lieutenant.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tanatvalley said:

I have a part built 0 gauge layout (shunting plank) on top of two Billy bookcases. The fiddle yard is extra and awaiting building!

Sound great! Have you any photographs? Being a fellow O gauge modeller, I would love to see what you have done.

David

• Agree 1

On 03/03/2019 at 14:16, Neil said:

Neil,

Great to see Shell Island again; one the true classics of recent years. If anyone manages to achieve something half as good in terms of quality and atmosphere through this process then they will be on to a winner!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

A question for those who understand these things (ie: who've built layouts): is there something about a bookshelf layout that means there are multiple viewing points - close up (as usual) and from across the room (seated and standing)?

I'm currently sitting 8' away from Billy and 2' below the eyelevel shelf. That's over 200 scale yards (4mm) on an upwards diagonal.

What will be eye-pleasing at this distance, I wonder?  (I imagine few photos in BRM are taken from here).

Just a thought.

• Like 1

Keith, I actually do have an idea that might address your point but am not allowing myself any more doodling time this week... (not that I've ever managed an actual finished layout).

An issue with N has always appeared to me to be what you do to use height effectively, without the layout looking ridiculous. But there are / were stations in locations with really interesting height contrast...

• Thanks 1

Well done Neil.

On a day when commiseration is welcome, it was nice to come across Shell Island again.

As the weather closes in outside, it cheers you up to see a Class 2? errrm ticking over in the sun.

Back to putting my books on the Bookshelf!

Ian.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

With a bit of free time this evening I had a play with a couple of ideas for a 4mm scale / OO Billy shelf design.  The first was based on an unbuilt Metcalfe Brewery Kit I have (now discontinued).  There'd need to be a "fiddle-stick" added to one side.  Points were Peco Streamline Medium Radius.  A siding disappearing between the brewery buildings stopped at the end of the shelf - one end of the layout would have inset track, something I'm keen to try.  I've been given some old unused "Townscene" backsheets, which I included to see the effect, while some low relief terraces were ones I'd already made (Metcalfe again). 

I quite liked the scene, but it seemed a bit closed in given the narrow width (10") available.  I tried reversing the backscenes to show a plain white mock-up, and this seemed to open up the scene.  There's nothing radical here, but I was quite happy with the basic idea.  

My real interest is passenger operations, so I also had a very quick go at a GWR station too.  I used a paper template to represent the footprint of the Ratio Castle Cary Station kit (used by Phil Parker on the BRM Edgeworth Project Layout).  The point was Medium Radius Streamline again: there isn't room for the large radius that would enable the bullhead rail to be used instead.  This module needed two entry tracks to one side (unconnected on the layout) - one feeding the platform and one two short sidings.  There wasn't sufficient width for a run-round track serving the platform, but an Autocoach with the 14xx would work (rather than the Ratio 4-wheelers I used). 

My signal box (another Metcalfe kit) was probably too big for this station, but I enjoyed building it, and it has provision for point-rodding.  I put another carriage in the first siding, but in reality it would probably be a goods loading dock rather than a bay platform if it was a branch terminus.  

What did I learn?  There are options for a 4mm layout in 30", but for the kind of ideas I'm drawn to, an additional fiddle yard would be necessary.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
Edited for text only as photos no longer available.
  • Like 3