The Billy Bookcase layouts

Phil Parker

The Ikea diorama/mini layout idea isn't new. I've been doing it for years. I'm curious to see what the BRM folks come up with. I have gone so far as to build display frames to hold the bookcase shelves when I go to shows with the dioramas on display. I used Besta/Inreda shelves as that's what I had at time time, I have a Billy as well now, and eventually doing something on it is on my to do list.

Some examples of my work:

image.png.817cb5dd51fdeed51b0153fed704cce7.png

https://sjgardiner.wordpress.com/2017/02/25/building-display-frames/

image.png.ca45daa3c2114f3fb4744a8ae5d7bbf3.png

image.png.72e4215e1ca0bc8785dd969ec1547ce0.png

https://sjgardiner.wordpress.com/2016/07/10/model-railroading-in-small-spaces-the-joys-of-the-unhappiest-place-on-earth/

image.png.a46ac1c0f1017caf81f14c03d7eac99b.png

https://sjgardiner.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/from-rpm-to-freelancing/

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by sjgardiner
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Comparing the constraints that apply to standard gauge layouts / dioramas in 4mm scale (including my own simple suggestions) with some quite spacious ideas for 2mm scale does leave me wondering what can be achieved in 3mm scale? I expect there are some very effective models in this space (or similar), I'm just wondering if there are some that could be linked in here to add to this conversation? It could be a very good advert for 3mm modelling.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Comparing the constraints that apply to standard gauge layouts / dioramas in 4mm scale (including my own simple suggestions) with some quite spacious ideas for 2mm scale does leave me wondering what can be achieved in 3mm scale? I expect there are some very effective models in this space (or similar), I'm just wondering if there are some that could be linked in here to add to this conversation? It could be a very good advert for 3mm modelling.

Agreed, I think the space suits 3mm scale perfectly and would give the opportunity for a small test project, particularly for new entrants to the scale, without committing lots of time and money. The other scale I think this concept lends itself to is 009 - the explosion in RTR in the scale over the last few years means that it should be very accessible to all those with an interest in narrow gauge.

• Like 1

I have a small 20 page booklet from The N Gauge Society, titled 'Plans For Small Layouts in N Gauge' bought for only 30p at their sales stand at the Derby Roundhouse exhibition a couple of years ago.

The ten layouts featured in the booklet are all built to the size of only 4ft x 1ft - which I believe is roughly the same size of the IKEA "Billy Bookcase" layouts as seen on these pages.

If you can get to buy one (Or someone you know has got a copy and will let you read it), I recommend having a look as it may inspire you!

Sam

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 01:38, south_tyne said:

Sound great! Have you any photographs? Being a fellow O gauge modeller, I would love to see what you have done.

David

Apologies for the late posting. It is a work in progress albeit very slowly... the baseboards measure 400mm x 800mm from Tim Horn. Point, there is only one, C&L. Buildings TimberTracks altered standard designs. The warehouse has not had the awning added yet... Wired for DC and DCC. Too much time spent enjoying DCC sound locos!

IMG_2143.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, tanatvalley said:

Apologies for the late posting. It is a work in progress albeit very slowly... the baseboards measure 400mm x 800mm from Tim Horn. Point, there is only one, C&L. Buildings TimberTracks altered standard designs. The warehouse has not had the awning added yet... Wired for DC and DCC. Too much time spent enjoying DCC sound locos!

IMG_2143.jpg

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply and there is absolutely no need at all to apologise. The layout looks absolutely great and shows you don't need masses of space in 7mm scale to do something interesting. I love the buildings, it's a very imposing scene. 

I would be really interesting in seeing more and following as the layout develops. Have you had any thoughts about starting a dedicated thread? I  definitely think there would be lots of interest. 

Is there are further board for the fiddle yard? I think basebaords of 800mm are the perfect length. Manageable, easily transported by one person and also of a size that most people can store in a reasonable space in their home. 

Do I spy an Ixion Hudswell Clarke there!? 

Cracking stuff and if you have any more photos to share then I for one would love to see them.

Cheers,

David 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I've taken the plunge and rescued a spare bookcase from the garage - not a Billy but close (my shelves are 75cm by 28.5cm, giving me a useful extra 1" width).  At some point I plan to build at least one of the OO Gauge 4mm scale ideas from this thread, but for starters I'm going for an HO Scale Diorama with a large city station as the signature centrepiece (why not - I think there's enough room).  It won't be an operational layout, so it's not quite what's been discussed here, but I've incorporated a split level design into the proposal to reflect the conversation on this thread:  Union Station - an HO Diorama .

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A great thread. Going slightly off piste but a couple of thoughts/observations:

1) You can currently buy a [Network Rail?] yellow Billy bookcase https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/bookcases/billy-bottna-bookcase-with-display-shelf-yellow-blue-spr-29284593/

2) for a fiddle yard just have another billy adjoining the first one and cut through the sides - or use one of their extended versions. Shelves could be used as cassettes for rolling stock?

Not going to do Billy modelling currently as creating longer fiddle yards for my micro layout by chopping 4' x 2' boards down the middle......

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, OhOh said:

Iincrease the available depth from 26 to 33cm. 

But wouldn't turning it sideways - effectively on its back - be against the spirit of the exercise? One might as well lay the whole bookcase on its back and build a 76 cm x 94 cm N gauge or 009 roundy-roundy on the backboard.

The solid sides of Billy have been mentioned as an obstacle to off-stage fiddle yards etc. My model railway, such as it is, is built on the Ivar shelving system, which lends itself to sideways expansion and is inexpensive.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

The solid sides of Billy have been mentioned as an obstacle to off-stage fiddle yards etc. My model railway, such as it is, is built on the Ivar shelving system, which lends itself to sideways expansion and is inexpensive.

Good point (why didn't I think of that...?).  Do you have a layout thread where we can see more?

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

But wouldn't turning it sideways - effectively on its back - be against the spirit of the exercise? One might as well lay the whole bookcase on its back and build a 76 cm x 94 cm N gauge or 009 roundy-roundy on the backboard.

Possibly, and I should probably have made the posting more in jest than as a serious suggestion in regards to this particular challenge, but mention has already been made of building a layout on top of the Billy, thus gaining an extra 4cm on the length.

As to laying it on its back … I think on its front would be more practical, but the shelves would fall out! :D

• Like 1

On 27/02/2019 at 16:34, Phil Parker said:

In the Spring issue of BRM, I've started a series of micro layouts designed to fit on the shelves of an Ikea Billy Bookcase.

There will be three layouts - OO, 009 and N

I'm keen to build an N gauge model to see how the smaller scale makes better use of the space. In theory, we ought to be able to fit a lot more model on the shelf than in the larger scales, but I don't want something crammed with trackwork.

So, I'm throwing down a challenge to N gauge modellers via RMweb. We have a shelf, how would you fill it?

I'll have a look at the plans, pick the one that I like best and build it. As far as the design goes, we don't have a lot of N gauge stock so something operable with a single loco would be perfect. Any era and any prototype will be considered but the stock at least, must be available ready-to-run.

SHelf_rmweb.jpg

The shelf is 76cm by 26cm. I'm assuming any fiddle yard would be separate and hanging off the end - unless someone can come up with a design that keeps it on the "board".

I'd prefer plans drawn up in something like AnyRail, or made from Peco point plans printed out and stuck on a full-sized rectangle.  That way we have half a chance it will really fit. I'll certainly be drawing out the plan before ordering track. 

My H0e layout is built around the IKEA Ivar shelf range, this uses a 800mmx300mm spacing. From this i have a number of modules, a simple 1 point halt, a 1 point metal works, some junctions, and a two module through station (1.6x0.3). 

But some of the designs could transpose to a Billy shelf... if interested... 

J

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 11/03/2019 at 23:50, BackRoomBoffin said:

Ok, so having dared myself and drawn attention, here goes.

The protypical location is Hotwells station, a GW / Midland terminus on the Bristol Port and Pier Railway (closed c1920 to build a new road). This was a tramway / railway / ferry interchange in the Avon Gorge, with 1 platform, directly below the Clifton Suspension Bridge. More info about which here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotwells_railway_station

A map can be seen here: http://maps.bristol.gov.uk/kyp/?edition=

(this is a historic mapping site for Bristol City Council … type 'Portway' into search bar at top left, and look for a map using the options at right that will show you sometime between 1890 and 1920 … you'll see two different track plans).

http://maps.bristol.gov.uk/knowyourplace/media/her_pc/18833.JPG

It's taken me a while to get this 'right', but it combines some of the features discussed above - slanting the angle to get more in, not having a side access through the 'bookshelf wall', and 'less is more' (only four points and a cross over). But if one did model this location as accurately as possible, you'd need 2-3ft of height for the cliffs!

I've called this compressed plan 'Goram's Hollow', adapting the name of St Vincent's Rocks, which is the name for the cliff formation overlooking the site. (Goram and Vincent were two legendary local giants).

I'd suggest the tramline at front is unpowered.

gorams-hollow.jpg

Worthily chosen as the top pick in the May BRM (digital subscription edition out now). Delighted to see some of the other excellent N-gauge suggestions also given due prominence (and surprised to see one of my own 4mm scale ideas included too). I'm afraid it looks as if the gremlins might have struck during magazine production, as the design for this top idea appears to have been matched with text for another (also very good) concept by the same contributor.

Mind you, given the complexity of modern publishing, drawing on so many different digital sources, the occasional slip up is bound to happen - I wouldn't fancy trying to pull together a magazine every four weeks.

Anyway, well done to the challenge winner, and to the BRM team for another stunning edition of the magazine.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Worthily chosen as the top pick in the May BRM (digital subscription edition out now). Delighted to see some of the other excellent N-gauge suggestions also given due prominence (and surprised to see one of my own 4mm scale ideas included too). I'm afraid it looks as if the gremlins might have struck during magazine production, as the design for this top idea appears to have been matched with text for another (also very good) concept by the same contributor.

Mind you, given the complexity of modern publishing, drawing on so many different digital sources, the occasional slip up is bound to happen - I wouldn't fancy trying to pull together a magazine every four weeks.

Anyway, well done to the challenge winner, and to the BRM team for another stunning edition of the magazine.

Hi, Have I missed something, can you tell me please what layout(s) are being made?

Cheers

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Duncan. said:

Hi, Have I missed something, can you tell me please what layout(s) are being made?

Cheers

Hi Duncan, 5 layouts are shown on page 35 of the May BRM, with Backroom Boffin's spectacular Hotwells concept selected as the winner.  Hobb's Bridge Goods is one of the others featured.

The introduction at the top of the article explains this is the result of the layout planning challenge - and separate to the layout building challenge Phil Parker is engaged in: it doesn't indicate which N scale plan he will be tackling (it could be another one altogether).

Designs for the first two of the trilogy of layouts appeared on pages 44-46 of the Spring 2019 BRM, for models in 4mm scale and OO9.  Two alternative plans were suggested for the 4mm scale / OO model, and it's worth checking out the Piercebridge MIll thread here on RMweb if you've not seen it, where the original planner (Cornamuse) is now building the other idea Phil looked at but didn't go for.

Hope this helps, and that Hobb's Bridge Goods is coming along well.

Keith.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Hi Duncan, 5 layouts are shown on page 35 of the May BRM, with Backroom Boffin's spectacular Hotwells concept selected as the winner.  Hobb's Bridge Goods is one of the others featured.

The introduction at the top of the article explains this is the result of the layout planning challenge - and separate to the layout building challenge Phil Parker is engaged in: it doesn't indicate which N scale plan he will be tackling (it could be another one altogether).

Designs for the first two of the trilogy of layouts appeared on pages 44-46 of the Spring 2019 BRM, for models in 4mm scale and OO9.  Two alternative plans were suggested for the 4mm scale / OO model, and it's worth checking out the Piercebridge MIll thread here on RMweb if you've not seen it, where the original planner (Cornamuse) is now building the other idea Phil looked at but didn't go for.

Hope this helps, and that Hobb's Bridge Goods is coming along well.

Keith.

Thanks Keith,

I have made a little progress on the baseboards for Hobb's Bridge Goods- the wood is cut and shaped  I will be adding strengtheners and screwing together to check for viewing angles etc.... then I will take apart, paint the rear and end panel  with a 'sky' colour (probably cloudy!) then I will reassemble and glue and screw together ready for the track positioning and cutting of holes fro point drives ec. I have decided to build the points myself, use Finetrax for the plain track and use servo motors for point operation. I will use some dedicated stock which I will fit with DG couplings for fully 'no hands' shunting.

Actual progress is somewhat behind my thinking currently as I am full on training for my Yorkshire 3 Peaks Challenge which I am doing week Saturday, I have been walking miles up the highest and steepest hills I can find to get fit! Please check my page for details

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/duncan-hunnisett  and show your mates!!

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 24/04/2019 at 14:37, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Still pondering this. I like some of the ideas here though and hope they inpsire a few others to have a go. If you do, please post the results. We all enjoy seeing other peoples models!

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

If I hide this in here, maybe no-one will notice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdJ2aYcJ1Ho

Full details in the August issue of BRM, on sale in a couple of weeks.

Can't wait to see more!  Personally, it reminds me a little of Welshpool Station on the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Rly as it was a decade or so ago - I think they've added more sidings in recent years.  All you'd need would be the water tower by the buffers (opposite the platform) and it I think it could class as "inspired by."*

Is there a fiddle yard?  Oh, sorry, I should to wait till August BRM...

* From memory, their siding off the loop faces back up the running line, but I don't remember ever seeing anything in it when I was there, and there was a signal box, but now I'm heading into detail - it's the atmosphere the model has created that I love about the video.  That, and the variation on roundy-roundy...

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Is there a fiddle yard?  Oh, sorry, I should to wait till August BRM...

*Cough* Actually, I haven't done this yet, but I know how I will in the future. August is all about scenery...