Peco’s Proposed Pointwork

clecklewyke

Without any modification at all, the large radius points are flexible enough that I was able to take a left-hand large radius point and (carefully!) bend it into a right-hand point, with the left-hand route being pretty much exactly straight. I'll admit I haven't tried bending them the other way, though, and I don't have any to hand right now. If you're prepared to cut the sleeper webs, you might be able to get even more bending. I don't know what sort of radius you'd be looking for, though.

• Like 1

I and others  have selectively curved the Peco FB large rad point - both codes 75 and 100 - with no problems arising in service after: the caveats being that they are then immediately permanently fixed down, and I have never tried lifting one subsequently for reuse (my guess, not possible).

Casual experiment with the new BH point suggests that it is easier to curve than the FB equivalents, but I have not got to the stage of laying this track. The curvature I primarily want to introduce is a lot less severe than that which Skinnylinny writes about above. My first aim will be to introduce just enough curvature to eliminate the 'threepenny bit' effect of RTL points.  It is certainly encouraging to read that they can be pushed much further, as an assymetric Y point would be useful, and while curving the large rad Y that Peco might produce would probably be less trouble, such a product is only a might at present.

Really, for the modest cost of one point to trial, I would suggest giving it a go for yourself.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1