Signal boxes on the S&C

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was just wondering on how many signal boxes are still in use on the Settle & Carlisle Line?  The only ones I can think of are Settle Junction, Blea Moor and maybe Kirby Stephen.  Are there any more?

• RMweb Premium

Looking at TRACKmaps (Quail) the signal boxes shown as open are: Hellifield, Settle, Blea Moor, Garsdale, Kirkby Stephen, Appleby North, Kirkby Thore, Culgaith and Low House.

Edit: Missed one, Howe & Co Sidings (thanks to Bedlington North).

Edited by iands
  • Like 1

What is the future for these boxes under Network Rails signalling modernisation / centralisation programme ?

Such a shame to loose them and their signalling on this historically important line.

Brit15

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think there's a plan to preserve Garsdale, which is probably the easiest, being on a platform (although I don't recall where I heard that). Kirkby Thore is a portacabin and the current Kirkby Stephen was only put there in the 70s (came from Kendal) so isn't that significant either. No idea about the rest.

There's already one preserved box on the line, Armathwaite, and another (Ais Gill) is doing a job at the Midland Railway Centre these days. Selside box was moved to Carnforth years ago but last I heard it was in a poor state.

It'll be very sad to see them go, just for once it would be nice to have some progress I could feel enthusiastic about.

• Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, APOLLO said:

What is the future for these boxes under Network Rails signalling modernisation / centralisation programme ?

Such a shame to loose them and their signalling on this historically important line.

Brit15

The last mention I saw of them in a Nettwork Rail document was that they were to be gone by 2029 (end CP7). However, given the other GNRP and HS2 projects still in the queue I would be surprised if they were a priority. Absolute end date for centralisation is (was ?)  2040.

They are expensive to operate, so the cost-benefit analysis almost writes itself. However, the performance benefit is almost nil, so other resignalling projects get priority.  The upside is that the S&C Development Co / FoSCLA are likely to be keen to preserve as many in situ as possible (think Armathwaite) and probably rather more innovative/committed that other community groups in finding alternative uses for them to make that viable. Garsdale would make a lovely cafe.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Having had a trip on the line yesterday, what struck me was the poor external condition of some of the boxes, Hellifield and Kirkby Stephen being particularly bad with some rotting wood and peeling paintwork.

Douglas

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, iands said:

Looking at TRACKmaps (Quail) the signal boxes shown as open are: Hellifield, Settle, Blea Moor, Garsdale, Kirkby Stephen, Appleby North, Kirkby Thore, Culgaith and Low House.

Edit: Missed one, Howe & Co Sidings (thanks to Bedlington North).

Settle Junction rather than Settle (station) Ian

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Wheatley said:

However, the performance benefit is almost nil, so other resignalling projects get priority. 

They're quite widely spaced, but did the addition of intermediate block signals several years ago provide all the capacity the line's likely to need in the foreseable future?

1 hour ago, Reorte said:

They're quite widely spaced, but did the addition of intermediate block signals several years ago provide all the capacity the line's likely to need in the foreseable future?

Exactly, there's no benefit in resignalling beyond what's already been done. Also delays on the route, for passenger trains at least, tend to have limited knock-on effects on other routes.  

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, drjcontroller said:

Having had a trip on the line yesterday, what struck me was the poor external condition of some of the boxes, Hellifield and Kirkby Stephen being particularly bad with some rotting wood and peeling paintwork.

Douglas

Sadly its not unusual for signalboxes to be in poor condition. I'm writing this sat in a box that is being helped to stay upright by 8 acrow props....

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1