Windermere & Hincaster Junction

Merlin242

Steady progress on the next big project which is the train shed for Windermere station. I have built up the glazed ends and  roof trusses from plastic strip. Then I invested in a 3d printer to do the many different doors and windows. the top row is the outside and the bottom row the inside. I should have bought this printer earlier and I could have done a better job of the goods shed and engine shed. I have been diverted onto face mask production for carers in the community and so its done about 50 hours printing in the last week although the odd window gets squeezed in. Clearly the face masks takes priority at the moment. 

DSCF1694.JPG

roof trusses.jpg

train shed.jpg

3d printer.jpg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Windermere station is coming on quite nicely. The 3d printer has been worth every penny of the £169 I paid for as it makes possible inclusion of details hat would not be practical otherwise. For example there are 48 small roof supports which would have 6 pieces in each one. To produce 6 supports ready to use  takes 10 minutes on the printer whilst I do something else. I should have bought it earlier as I could have made the windows in the goods shed exact models rather than adapting commercial ones. Its  also been useful printing off ppe face mask carriers. That alone to hopefully help make family , friends and work colleagues safer is worth the cost.

view through door.jpg

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1388_(2).JPG

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

On 16/04/2020 at 15:55, Merlin242 said:

Steady progress on the next big project which is the train shed for Windermere station. I have built up the glazed ends and  roof trusses from plastic strip. Then I invested in a 3d printer to do the many different doors and windows. the top row is the outside and the bottom row the inside. I should have bought this printer earlier and I could have done a better job of the goods shed and engine shed. I have been diverted onto face mask production for carers in the community and so its done about 50 hours printing in the last week although the odd window gets squeezed in. Clearly the face masks takes priority at the moment. 

DSCF1694.JPG

roof trusses.jpg

train shed.jpg

3d printer.jpg

Wow! 

Great in in all aspects! 

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Signals are now sprouting in Windermere. A mixture of ratio kits LNWR & BR, Hornby Dublo , Sctratch built and Dapol. The intention is that all will work as part of the DCC system and are modelled on the real thing. The dublo starter still works perfectly despite being 60 years old.

IMG_6039 (3).jpg

IMG_6049 (2).JPG

IMG_6050 (2).JPG

IMG_6046 (2).JPG

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

All the 6 semaphore signals at Windermere Station are now in place and working. Half are also lit. I wish I had put leds in  them all  as the lit ones look much better especially when they are pulled off so I will go back and redo the remaining 3 in due course. I have drawn the line at making the ground signals power operated although at least the discs can be rotated. Having the signals working does add a lot to the atmosphere of trains arriving and departing. I have used parts of ratio kits with etched arms and micro leds running at just under 3 volts. The 4 signals I have built are dcc servo controlled. 

My next task is to do the station building which should not take too long as I have already printed out the windows and doors

IMG_6093 (2).jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Windermere station is coming on. The main task now is to build the covered coach loading area between the station building and the goods shed. I have printed the girders and roof trusses but still lots of glazing bars to do.

Train shedinside.jpg

station building.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 1 month later...

A slightly different view is now available as the viaduct is no longer floating at the ends. I made a mistake in not making it 6 arches so I could model Docker Viaduct. I was not aware of Docker when I put in the model and could not face ripping it out and starting again. But i do plan to add the cast cross supports and paint to match the original. There are pictures of a derailed duchess hauled train on the viaduct which would be fun to model.

IMG_6118.JPG

• Like 7

This arises from the coincidence of Hornby releasing it and an online discussion in the really excellent Cumbria Railways Association about which Stanier pacifics visited the Windermere branch. They were allowed on the branch but the turntable at Windermere is only 60 feet so operationally this was a pain. There are 3 documented visits in 1962 by 46221, 46252 and 46255. There is also an intriguing maybe with 46257 and the background to that is set out below. Also strangely no Stanier pacific had run to Windermere on my model despite a few running often on the main line. So i decided that this would be the first visit and to see if i could spark some new information by posting about it about on a few sites.

The responses were interesting. Sadly no new information has come to light. I was told they were allowed on the branch which i new and thought i had made clear in the posts.  But most took  delight in pointing out the photo was a fake. I was quite cheered by this as it implied there was some doubt it was a model. A least it needed more than a quick glance. 

If anyone has an interest in any of the railways of Cumbria do join the CRA. It has a great photo archive and a great collective knowledge. Over the Covid lockdown it ran a daily challenge ( now 2 weekly). This was a photo which had to be identified. The information which has emerged has added to everyone's knowledge and has now been collected and documented. Its also been great fun in trying times.

The post I put up was as follows:

46257 City of Salford at Windermere in 1962? There were 3 recorded visits by Stanier Pacific’s to the branch in 1962 and this possible. There is photo of this engine at Oxenholme in the branch platform with the road set for the branch. However it’s not clear if it carried on or reversed out and then carried on North to Carlisle. Any information about it or other visits to Windermere by Stanier Pacific’s would be most welcome.

The consensus among the experts is that City of Salford did not visit in the early 1960's and not until 2020 in model form as no parcels train was timetabled for the branch. There are no known examples of large parcels trains reaching Windermere. It was also not unknown for busy Carlisle bound trains to be put in the branch platforms at Carnforth and Oxenholme to be unloaded and then reverse back to continue North. The question which has emerged is how the daily Kendal to London Parcels train which was a busy one with deliveries from K shoes got its stock. There was no timetabled working to bring in the stock which is odd as it was a big train going out. If anyone knows that would be really useful. Of course as well any information on other visits by Stanier pacifics to the Windermere branch would be also be really welcome.

City of Salford.jpg

46257(1).jpg

• Like 11

• 2 months later...

A few recently renumbered locos mostly orginally from ebay. 46252 City of Leicester was one of 3 duchesses to reach Windermere. Morecambe and Heysham and Blackpool were where I worked and 43027 was a local Carnforth engine. All are underlined in my Ian Allan spotters book.

46252.jpg

45526 45524.jpg

43027.jpg

• Like 7

Oxenholme had a single Jinty 47503 allocated for many years. It was finally moved away to Barrow and Workington and never replaced. Details of its use are scant with few photos. However new information via the truly excellent Cumbria Railways Association chat group of it use on two coach early evening trains from Windermere in the early 1950's prompted a change from its usual shunting duties.

47503{1).JPG

47503.JPG

Edited by Merlin242
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Steady progress on renumbering and detailing more locos. The plan is to end up with a stud of engines which I have seen and are local to the area. I have not( dare not) counted how many there are but it must be in 3 figures. I am tending to do a class at a time and the Fairburn tanks are the current project of which i have 3 unless ebay bidding strikes again. 42105 and 42198 are largely done with the third one is yet to start. 

Windermere & Hincaster Junction | Facebook page

42968 42965.jpg

46252 & 46206.jpg

42198(2).jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I am quite pleased with this then and now comparison. The original photo of 45503 at Windermere is (Image JL Thackray/KWVR Archives). The now version was taken this morning. My guess is the original was on the up Lakes express which was often Patriot hauled in the 1950's and the train can only be around 6 or 7 coaches long from its position in the platform. The angle of the sun also suggests a morning photo Any suggestion welcome on the train or how the model could be improved.

45503.jpg

45503(1).jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Nice picture.

I agree re front coupling - definitely needs to go! No.1 job on my locos. If I ever need / want to double head, then I use the screw coupling but needs a decent hook on the back of the assisting loco so I always try and fit those as well, if they're not good enough as supplied.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Of course it is only after you have lamps fitted that you find a photo of the same loco with one white lamp and one black lamp fitted..and both lamps are different....

Baz

• Like 1

Another go is a little better. Then you see one of the lamps has twisted a bit. Its surprisingly hard to recreate the angle , depth of field and focal length of the original.

However this is the sort of what i am aiming for. Just need to be able to do similar comparisons on the whole layout. 

Mike

45503.jpg

45503(2).jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...

Another patriot has snuck onto the layout in the midst of sorting out a batch of jubilees. Following the neighbouring towns to where I live I settled on it becoming 45546 Fleetwood rather than 45548 as I found the nameplates easier to source and I had seen it in my spotting days. I do like the lines of these engines so I expect to succumb to temptation again sometime.

DSCF2094 (2).JPG

• Like 3

On 16/04/2020 at 15:55, Merlin242 said:

DSCF1694.JPG

roof trusses.jpg

train shed.jpg

3d printer.jpg

I have just found this thread.  Totally outside my era but I am here admiring the workmanship. 

Could you tell me which 3D printer you have and which design package you use in conjunction with it? Does it come with any design software or do you have to import models from other packages?

I have access to Autodesk inventor and normally at work I could get access to a 3D printer (although I have only ever printed  replacement shower screen towel rail fixing brackets- nothing for my layout as yet). I am working from home at the moment so I couldn't print anything even if I wanted to. 

Also, with regards to gravity shunting, I would be interested to see how you progress.  I have always wanted to have a hump yard layout but I came to the conclusion that the only way I could get consistent operation and realistic speeds would be to have one of wagons in the consist motorised. 

Whilst typing that last sentence it dawned on me that I would then have the problem of what happens when a loco attaches to the consist and tries to remove it?

I suppose my solution to is OK for consists which end up 'off scene' ie a gravity/hump yard in the background. 

Anyway, back to the drawing board for me. 

Keep up the great work. 

Stu