DCC Decoder Loco uncoupler For Tension Hook Using Micro Magnetic Coil

has anyone tried to use these micro magnetic actuator's on a DCC chip to lift a coupler on a loco ?

http://microflight.com/radio-systems/actuators-and-servos/miniact-magnetic-actuator-1-1g.html

i am going to try it anyway, but any pointers from others would be helpfull etc, and i have search site but could not find anything atm

Many thanks

Edited by calvin Streeting
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm getting an expired security certificate message for that URL on both Chrome and Firefox.

microflight.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate expired on 09 February 2019, 18:20:38. The current time is 1 March 2019, 12:00. Error code: SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE

I expect they just forgot to renew it, but to be on the safe side I haven't proceeded any further.

Rob

ok alot of googling latter and yep mentioned (alot) on here  didn;t find on this search (mainly due to wording etc, hence posting on here for info), but going to try and make some coils etc as i want them on a shunter (only the loco) so it can shunt trucks with standard (Hornby) couplers, but loco can let go on command etc... 

will post findings here etc. :) 

(

Mmm! I have just started building a prototype of a tension lock hook lifter  using servos. early tests prove the concept works for 00 scale wagons and bogie coaches. to allow the coupler to work as normal I have used some polyester sewing thread to give a flexible connector between the servos and the coupling hook extension. I bought my servos from Micron Radio control

http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk/servo.html

I think I will start a topic when I have done more testing and learn how to make some simple video of the stuff working

It will be in the radio control section because that is what I use but no reason why DCC should not work as well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

finding this is a rabit hole of products... 

first intresting build / test https://nigelcliffe.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-03-03T13:47:00-08:00&max-results=7&start=14&by-date=false

second a comercial product that seems to be built ontop of a 12v PCB relay http://www.keen-systems.com/DCC Uncoupler.html 

I also not probably will need a Transistor to do switching, which is np as built ALOT of thoses in my life

and now i am rading the tiny magnets from old nokia head phones... (also have alot of those lol )

20190311_110654.jpg.f32e74f89bb0d268d85504cea3389acc.jpg

20190311_110659.jpg.5e37977d7599874193d9a001145fe514.jpg

update time.. got some 36AWG enameled wire (rather than trying to rob old relays) and built a LEGO Coil  winder

20190317_011319.jpg.ad2bcc668e2f9a5133e5ae1d3b1af569.jpg

Then wilst that core is drying (evey now and then glue is applyed to coil, esp last layers)

So i looked at standard 0-4-0 Hornby loco plastic chassie and cut the two end holes,

20190317_021435.jpg.3ab3fb1332542e4abe3424f8ed380f21.jpg

Coils tuck away quite nicely :) 

20190317_021753.jpg.baaceb9ccdc1835be5461323dba6e6f7.jpg

20190317_021803.jpg.04565f85e35ddacec65dc98a861435d4.jpg

all things look good and seem to line up ok :) 

20190317_021743.jpg.b3951c84d23a55f7aaf89296544c21ac.jpg

So thats a result, next onto transitor circuit and wind another coil to replace relay wire version.. ooh and calcs for ma etc...

20190317_024310.jpg.9396615b1ea2674f7bd8aa5d166ee7e3.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, Tony Cane said:

For design rules for electromagnets get the December 1977 and January 1978 issues of Model Railways.

This has all the formulas in a user friendly format and lots of practical tips on winding coils.

Cool thanks.. will hunt down a copy. That's nearly as old a as me.. :) mind you I suppose coil design won't have changed since Michael Faraday's days.. :) still need to decide whether I wire them individually or in series (both ends) for single or double control.. 

YAY :)

This is using a gaugemaster dcc27. With attached stay alive capacitor, solderd to DC end of diode rectifyer 

Capture.JPG.78928a2d45a686d2da53551b396a3f4a.JPG

And a simple transistor (2N3096 PNP) switch circuit that lets the coil be driven from DC of diode rectifyer, to avoid to much amp draw through the dcc decoder like this one were relay is coupler coil  

Schematic_2.gif.1326f48be7d16a1618f3e8399e1c78a4.gif

The Coil is wound in 36AWG enamaled wire and i used green and purple function wires so inderpendent rear and front control

find me on thingiverse (will publish stl files etc. , just want to write it up properly

https://www.thingiverse.com/calvinstreeting/about

• Like 1

finaly got around to finding circuit drawing program. This is current version of circut, bit crude atm, and need to explore ways to avoid coil burnout :) rather than releying on me remeber to oly activate it for a few seconds. 

2101807676_Schematic01.JPG.53bfdfea7ea3fe947c08b3c334de23b2.JPG

Edited by calvin Streeting
added flyback diode on coil

Calvin Streeting.      All good stuff but you are starting with the wrong coupler.  you can pull with a tension lock hook but not push.  Actually the big weakness of tension locks, apart from being pug ugly, etc  is they have very little depth and unless aligned perfectly the loops tend to ride over each other when propelling.

I did a similar magnetic operating arm many years ago on Hornby Dublo/ Peco couplings by removing just the last bend of the coupler and having a hook very much like the one above rise and drop to allow uncoupling.   The set up allowed propelling exactly as per the normal coupler while uncoupling could be achieved even while travelling at speed.   It was  used in a slip coach and also in a shunters truck

I used a massive relay but one of these mini relays would make installation much easier.

Mine worked on DC on the principle of an in line capacitor.  I can't quite remember the circuit but it picked up from the track and when powered up the hook would rise as the cap charged then fall again.  The trick was to power up gently so the hook cycled before the train moved.    The slip coach needed a bit of dexterity to switch off a section of track after the loco passed but before the  coach got to it.  The Mk 2 has radio control from an under baseboard transmitter but is still in the design stage as is an operating mail coach where the net swings open some distance before the net using the same circuitry.

The concept is good, it works but not on a tension lock unless you can drop the loop as well as lift the hook, which actually shouldn't be impossible.  See pic for suggestion of how to make loop drop and hook rise

TL1.png

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 1

hi :) thanks for comments .. allways helpfull to hear other options etc.. :)

27 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

you can pull with a tension lock hook but not push

yep.. i statred with this as didn't want to have to adapt all my wagons etc.. :) i am planing on only shunting small amounts of wagons, probably in singles. and thus will be putting a "dumb buffer" on shunter and thus use buffer to push, as have very tight curves on this little private wharf yard. hence why i removed the loop for this case.

but as you stated it should be esay to move a loop down rather than hook up..and that also would meen no apation of wagons etc. :) i will draw something, and hopefully not have to adapt coil mounting pivot.i will have a think. wonder if o could do both mmmm :) 

currently working on circuit with saftey systems to avoid coil burnout, and a write up for thingverse, (note tho if anyone wants STL files can PM them) 

I am constructing some prototypes of a tension lock coupler which uses a servo to lift the coupling arm. In my case they will be mounted on wagons/coaches rather than locos. Having a flexible connection between the servo and the coupling hook allows the coupler to function as a normal tension lock as well. I use radio control for the servo with a small battery for power. Must take some photos and learn how to produce video

• Like 1

intresting ping some pics when you can.. i upload video to youtube and share it here... there are SOOOO many options for connecting trains / wagons and what to control etc...  :) 

I looked at servos but would meen i would need to control them. and that ment more stuff in very limited loco :)  but note each to own so keep ideas comming 

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised that something like this hasnt been developed by the industry. I'd have thought that a DCC uncoupler would be the obvious next step, especially from a manufacturers point of view - separating modellers from their money!

• Agree 1