Fitting Hornby 08 coupling rods

Has anyone any experience of how to fit the coupling rods to the cranks on the wheels of the Hornby 08? (The detailed model not the old jinty chassis one)  The rods are supplied with what look to be screws, but on closer inspection they have no screw thread, could these be rivets? And if so how do I fit them? They are a mystery to me and until I can work out how to fit the blighters my 08 is withdrawn from service.

Please someone help me!

It looks like there's at least 2 variants. These ones definitely aren't threaded.  After much bodging and fiddling and a little opening up the hole in the cranks, I managed to make a very basic jig to support the wheelsets  and hammered them home. Success!

But then when test running I noticed there was a very slight tight spot, the quatering was slightly out. It was such a slight hesitancy, i could have lived with it, but no, i decided to fix it. One slight tweak and, #$%&¥, the flaming coupling rods snaps! It seems to be made of aluminium, so I can't solder it, and it's too flimsy to glue,..... and Peters spares are out of stock.

Excellent.

• 5 months later...

Both sets I ordered from peers spares were threaded. I drilled one set out to fit  a Bachmann 08648. first one worked perfect and made a huge difference to the look of the Model. The second I snapped s i stupidly picked up the wrong drillbit an tried drilling to big a hole!. Ho Hum still works with one of each.