Small loco works, 3d printed models

heres something Ive been working on purely for myself, patterns for the tender and driving wheels for Fire Queen in 16mm scale, drawings for this loco are few and far between which is a shame because she would make a legitimate 00 gauge model, maybe some day

fqdrwhl.png

fqtender.png

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 5

If anyone has drawings for this nlr Sharp Stewart I think it would make a nice companion to the millwall extension railway manning wardle already available and L49s outside cylinder 2-2-2wt in a hypothetical Victorian London micro 

wp5acccd41_05_06.jpg

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1

I had planned  a GE/Blackwall/Millwall Extn themed micro.  A capriccio, if one likes.  Could be tempted to revive the idea!

Who wouldn't want one of these? 

The practicalities of motorising again concern me. 

It would also have mire appeal if suitable stock could also be printed. 

• Like 1

Well, I keep returning to the idea of modelling Blackwall, and given I've been told that I may soon be heavily involved with the NLRHS I guess I ought to consider an NLR layout at some stage!!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Killian keane said:

If anyone has drawings for this nlr beyer peacock I think it would make a nice companion to the millwall extension railway manning wardle already available and L49s outside cylinder 2-2-2wt in a hypothetical Victorian London micro 

wp5acccd41_05_06.jpg

I think I might very well be in love.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I'm working on a Thwaites & Carbutt 0-6-0 with a gothic firebox as owned by Mr Boulton (4 examples, his Wellington, Nelson, Hercules and Mountaineer) if anyone has any idea what the smokebox door was like please do let me know, sorry about the prototype image, it came from evilbay hence the nasty watermark, Im trying to stay as loyal to the drawings as possible, but my logic tells me the wood lagging might have covered the full sides of the firebox, what do others think?

I've just tonight released the chimney for Seaford, with the whole loco soon to follow, though I wouldn't advise ordering one until I know the design doesn't need altering

https://www.shapeways.com/product/H4VLSQPJK/seaford-chimney?optionId=90247232&key=0f98ee1c1b6e82f01019d5d2dee64ff8&li=shop-inventory

thwaitescarbutt.jpg

wellington2.png

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Here's what I've come up with for Seafords chassis, the front two axles are fixed and the rear one simply goes along for the ride, essentially she's a 2-2-0 with cosmetic trailing wheels, how well this system will work we shall find out, also just released a 009 clay wagon

seafchas.png

clay.png

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Queen of the forest is nearing completion, I will be doing alternative saddle tanks and chimneys to represent its later guise as Ant, the only hard part left for the modeller being the extravagant lining!

2019-04-01-17-09-48.png

2019-04-01-17-08-42.png

2019-04-01-17-10-47.png

ant1.jpg

boulton yard (3)_LI.jpg

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

More brilliant work, however, the Thwaites and Carbutt 0-6-0 particularly appeals, as I feel I could have a use for it on the Norfolk Minerals.

On 12/03/2019 at 14:57, Killian keane said:

I'm working on a Thwaites & Carbutt 0-6-0 with a gothic firebox as owned by Mr Boulton (4 examples, his Wellington, Nelson, Hercules and Mountaineer) if anyone has any idea what the smokebox door was like please do let me know, sorry about the prototype image, it came from evilbay hence the nasty watermark, Im trying to stay as loyal to the drawings as possible, but my logic tells me the wood lagging might have covered the full sides of the firebox, what do others think?

I've just tonight released the chimney for Seaford, with the whole loco soon to follow, though I wouldn't advise ordering one until I know the design doesn't need altering

https://www.shapeways.com/product/H4VLSQPJK/seaford-chimney?optionId=90247232&key=0f98ee1c1b6e82f01019d5d2dee64ff8&li=shop-inventory

thwaitescarbutt.jpg

wellington2.png

My first question, then, is whether these designs will be for sale?

If so, a number of questions, growing in impertinence suggest themselves:

- Where and in what materials will you print it?  I think I can offer you an SLA smooth resin print if you have not access to a Photon machine or similar.

- Will you be drawing the loco chassis and the tender?

- The wheels look to be 4'6", so pretty easy to come by, but the style is distinct, will you, therefore, print wheel centres to match the prototype?

- The wheelbase looks to be 7' 1/8" +  6' 6".  What would you suggest concerning coupling rods?

- There is not a lot of room under the bonnet in 4mil.  How would you plan to motorise?  A motor geared to the centre wheels and slanting back into the firebox would seem an option.  Would you specify a motor and gears and print a motor mount to suit?

- Body details:

• Will you include the footplate-mounted springs behind the splashers?
  • Will you include the footplate-mounted sandboxes?
  • There are 3 features on the fooplate between the splashers
  • Will you include the cut-out at the rear of the cab side sheet?
  • I do not think you have the top of the hay stack fire box quite right, if you can possibly forgive me for saying so.

I assume that you are working from the Locomotive Magazine drawing published in Mike Sharman/Oakwood Press volume?

Apologies for the rude intensity of my interest in this one.  If I find any clue as to the smoke-box door arrangement, I'll let you know. Also, I don't know now to interpret the square form forward of the smoke-box.

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

More brilliant work, however, the Thwaites and Carbutt 0-6-0 particularly appeals, as I feel I could have a use for it on the Norfolk Minerals.

- Where and in what materials will you print it?  I think I can offer you an SLA smooth resin print if you have not access to a Photon machine or similar.

- The wheels look to be 4'6", so pretty easy to come by, but the style is distinct, will you, therefore, print wheel centres to match the prototype?

- The wheelbase looks to be 7' 1/8" +  6' 6".  What would you suggest concerning coupling rods?

- There is not a lot of room under the bonnet in 4mil.  How would you plan to motorise?  A motor geared to the centre wheels and slanting back into the firebox would seem an option.  Would you specify a motor and gears and print a motor mount to suit?

- Body details:

• I do not think you have the top of the hay stack fire box quite right, if you can possibly forgive me for saying so.

I assume that you are working from the Locomotive Magazine drawing published in Mike Sharman/Oakwood Press volume?

Apologies for the rude intensity of my interest in this one.  If I find any clue as to the smoke-box door arrangement, I'll let you know. Also, I don't know now to interpret the square form forward of the smoke-box.

Neither rude nor intense Mr Edwardian sir! to answer the questions at hand

yes the designs will all be for sale in the relatively near future (I do not like to set deadlines though I've committed to so many as to warrant not starting on any more until the present crop are out!)

The prints will be done on a resin printer, or failing that (unlikely) shapeways fine detail plastic

the chassis and tender will be done in due course, seeing your interest in the T&C goods that's moved up on the queue

the wheels as you say are of a special pattern and centres will be printed to fit commercial 4'6" tyres

It is my intention to print rods to suit the wheelbase, pending suitability of the material, Mr Turbosnail of this parish seems to have done so successfully for his rather nice sharpie saddle tank

the idea for motorisation is to have the motor mounted either vertically or slanted in the firebox driving onto the middle or rear axle, I cant recommend a motor as of yet simply because I haven't built a prototype(!)

regarding the body

yes there will be springs behind the splashers (I despise modelling springs more than anything else!)

the sandboxes will be present the render you see there is early and largely incomplete

I believe the three features between the splashers could be boiler mounting brackets but Im not sure, in any case I will do my best to make the most accurate possible model I can of these locos from the one drawing and one photo I have, the cut out at the rear of the cab sidesheet is not present on the image shown again purely because its at an early stage in that image and will be present on the final model, and finally yes I agree about the firebox top, I'm far from satisfied with it myself (this is the second attempt), the drawings are indeed the old Oakwood press ones, and between these and that photo are the only illustration of this class that I know to exist, thanks for the interest ;)

thwaitescarbutt.jpg

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Killian keane said:

Neither rude nor intense Mr Edwardian sir! to answer the questions at hand

yes the designs will all be for sale in the relatively near future (I do not like to set deadlines though I've committed to so many as to warrant not starting on any more until the present crop are out!)

The prints will be done on a resin printer, or failing that (unlikely) shapeways fine detail plastic

the chassis and tender will be done in due course, seeing your interest in the T&C goods that's moved up on the queue

the wheels as you say are of a special pattern and centres will be printed to fit commercial 4'6" tyres

It is my intention to print rods to suit the wheelbase, pending suitability of the material, Mr Turbosnail of this parish seems to have done so successfully for his rather nice sharpie saddle tank

the idea for motorisation is to have the motor mounted either vertically or slanted in the firebox driving onto the middle or rear axle, I cant recommend a motor as of yet simply because I haven't built a prototype(!)

regarding the body

yes there will be springs behind the splashers (I despise modelling springs more than anything else!)

the sandboxes will be present the render you see there is early and largely incomplete

I believe the three features between the splashers could be boiler mounting brackets but Im not sure, in any case I will do my best to make the most accurate possible model I can of these locos from the one drawing and one photo I have, the cut out at the rear of the cab sidesheet is not present on the image shown again purely because its at an early stage in that image and will be present on the final model, and finally yes I agree about the firebox top, I'm far from satisfied with it myself (this is the second attempt), the drawings are indeed the old Oakwood press ones, and between these and that photo are the only illustration of this class that I know to exist, thanks for the interest ;)

Thank you, that is all very good news from my perspective. I will await developments with interest!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

- Body details:

What a characterful loco! How ironic that a modern technology is making it possible to make models from an earlier era than previously.

To my eyes, looking at the photo, the firebox is not a straight-sided cuboid. It has a bit of a curve to each face.

Also, from the photo, the horizontal piece of timber at the top of the firebox cladding protudes further than the vertical staves.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Killian keane said:

The wheels as you say are of a special pattern and centres will be printed to fit commercial 4'6" tyres

I've printed wheel centres for my Neilson 2-2-2T and that works fine as long as you can turn them down slightly by holding the axle in a drill and sanding the edge to get it perfectly round.

Sorry to throw a small spanner in the works, but I'd be a little more cautious with conrods - I've managed to make them work on a couple of 0-4-0 chassis with a some fettling, rebuilding and occasional coarse language. The only 0-6-0 ones I've tried have never worked, despite many reprints, fiddling, fettling and a lot of coarse language!

If you are going to go down that route, I'd suggest driving the central wheels and having split conrods, so you essentially have two 0-4-0 chassis sharing the driving axle. I think that will save a lot of sanity... 

• Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, TurboSnail said:

I've printed wheel centres for my Neilson 2-2-2T and that works fine as long as you can turn them down slightly by holding the axle in a drill and sanding the edge to get it perfectly round.

Sorry to throw a small spanner in the works, but I'd be a little more cautious with conrods - I've managed to make them work on a couple of 0-4-0 chassis with a some fettling, rebuilding and occasional coarse language. The only 0-6-0 ones I've tried have never worked, despite many reprints, fiddling, fettling and a lot of coarse language!

If you are going to go down that route, I'd suggest driving the central wheels and having split conrods, so you essentially have two 0-4-0 chassis sharing the driving axle. I think that will save a lot of sanity... 

Follow the prototype in terms of splitting the coupling rods?

Can one commission bespoke rods? 

I think here also of Derwent

24 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

Follow the prototype in terms of splitting the coupling rods?

Can one commission bespoke rods? 

I think here also of Derwent

If you're referring to bespoke printed rods, it's difficult to get the dimensions right if you're using a different printer due to the setup being slightly different. What I did for my F class test model was print 4 sets, each 0.1mm longer than the last and just used the ones that fitted. I'm sure you could commission them (I'd happily draw some up for free, it's a very small job) but you'd need to find someone who could print them for you.

Metal rods would be much better if the builder has the skill/equipment to do it (or knows someone who does), as the printed ones are not particularly stiff, which doesn't help with the alignment. They work, but you have to get your chassis setup spot on.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...