Small loco works, 3d printed models

On 19/06/2019 at 20:10, Ian Simpson said:

Hope Killian doesn't mind me posting a couple of shots of his excellent Sharp 0-4-2 goods loco print here:

2102123206_KilliansSharp0-4-2parts04.jpg.d87f3c1c63d247db2257054c670ece54.jpg

1087469495_KilliansSharp0-4-2parts05.jpg.304cff23013f8aa2a109d2fd4bae3fcb.jpg

912421549_KilliansSharppossiblemotor.jpg.9d0bc7dc4651967029a489c25efeaaee.jpg

In 3.5 mm, I'm afraid, so please ignore the ruler in the first photograph.

Is this like I.W. Boulton's Trent (Fig. 4 in The Chronicles of Boulton's Siding)?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Killian keane said:

Speaking of her,  you wouldn't be interested in the possibility of a printed firebox top would you?  I appreciate the turned version would aid adhesion more though and represents the shine of brass perfectly 

There is no way I'm making a second one.......in 4mm........:rolleyes:

• Funny 1

The LCDR is a line Ive always had an interest in, as such I have two projects related thereto, those being the 1860 hawthorn pannier tank Magnus which is on hold until the box tank is finished, and the new announcement of the Europa class, that being the most modern loco Ive ever done, but still of some vintage built 1873

hkktnskamqw1oaj171n9.png

Sub%20Section%2011_clip_image002.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

theyre both based off the WSMR Neilson (370/56) and are pretty much identical to the one in the PDF drawing save for the cab which has been slightly altered, the low profile box is an experimental request (fictional) with the aim of fitting the port of par loading gauge, as for powering it I don't have a specific plan, Ive left as much space under the boiler as possible while still fitting between 00 wheelsets

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Killian keane said:

Ive made the offer elsewhere and Ill make it here too,  a free print of this loco in exchange for a drawing of it  

I doubt that it helps, but some years ago I reverse engineered something similar from the 5&9 castings for a Sharpie tender loco (you commented on it at the time on a thread entitled "a small problem"). 

P1010014.JPG.aa822a8dbbc04606504873c18ea47df9.JPG

The Colne Valley tank loco had started its life on the LB&SCR as a Sharp tender loco. As was Mr Craven's way, as they became outclassed, they were converted to tank engines and one of them was eventually sold off to the Colne Valley and Halstead Railway - hence this photo.

There were several sizes of Sharpie as the design evolved  but there is probably enough information to give you a reasonable starting point. Of course there is also the issue of the rather agricultural extension of the bunker. Somehow I doubt that there was ever a drawing of that: just a rather energetic bit of panel beating and riveting. 

I look forward to seeing what you produce. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi Eric, I hope youre enjoying the seaford print (its rather inferior to my current designs), Ive found the wheel diameters from its later use on the colne valley and halstead, and Im extrapolating from the photo, it would be such a shame to waste such a delicious loco, what Ill probably do is map the features onto an existing drawing of a similar loco (something like no.14 from the lbscr society site perhaps?) and arrive at something approximating the Sharp in question, as we speak Im at an advanced stage on the dome

I still maintain your Sharpie is magnificent, and as you can see from the tender above I have one in progress

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Killian keane said:

roughed out the shape of the next loco, an LCDR small scotchman

2019-12-11-19-20-16.png

I am fairly certain they never got as far as Faversham, or if they did not as late as 1894, so I think I might be safe.

What are your thoughts on motorising it?

1 hour ago, ChrisN said:

I am fairly certain they never got as far as Faversham, or if they did not as late as 1894, so I think I might be safe.

What are your thoughts on motorising it?

my thoughts are that they'll be the easiest of my models to motorise as compared to the little craven tanks the boiler is colossal with an internal diameter of 16.2mm, for this one I think Ill build one up and motorise it before letting it out outright so Ill post what I end up doing

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If anyone's in the minority of British modelling in H0, Ive just brought out an E1 to fit a Dapol terrier chassis

https://www.shapeways.com/product/8CTRJZ4WB/h0-scale-lbscr-e1?optionId=144975080&li=shop-inventory

and a conversion piece to make a Dapol terrier into an A1

https://www.shapeways.com/product/JNLSHQMJ4/lbscr-a1-smokebox-door?optionId=144995965&li=shop-inventory

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Disaster has struck!

As the West Norfolk started off with E B Wilson's, I thought that enough of an excuse to order the Jenny Lind components.  This is a somewhat hefty investment, with Shapeways' pricing structure (ordering buffers individually to a combined total of $28 was a bit of an ouch moment), but I thought it woud be worth it and diligently ordered a full set of components.

I was, therefore, horror struck to find that the order for three of the components; safety valve, chimney and tender body were "cancelled".  Shapeways offers no explanation, and, as a loco without boiler fittings and a tender chassis without a tender body does rather put the kibosh on the project, I thought I'd come to the font, as it were, and ask what can be done?

I certainly did not cancel them.  I placed the order, was charged and then partially refunded, so why might this happen?  Are these items not capable of printing?  I'd re-order but, of course, depending on the reason for the cancellation, that might prove a waste of time.

A lesson learned in trying to purchase a complete locomotives by component.  

Help gratefully appreciated.

Jenny Lind Order 1.jpg