Small loco works, 3d printed models

Way back in this thread, there was mention of a plan to 3D print a little 2-2-2T, built by J C Craven and tidied up by Stroudley. Killian was kind enough to arrange for one to be printed for me and the photo below shows progress to date.

Seaford_05_02.JPG.fddb0c26903cc7d911cef33b137c6bdb.JPG

So far, the chassis has been built from scratch and now has wheels and motor fitted. It still needs pickups and the rather idiosyncratic brake rigging. The body has been cleaned up, painted and lined but still needs a considerable amount of detailing (buffers would make it look more convincing and these are on order). Lettering for the name "Seaford" and the numerals are also on order. Finally, there will need to be some weight added to every available crevice. At the moment, It would need a well calibrated set of postal scales to even notice that the body was there!   

Best wishes

Eric  

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

On 11/02/2020 at 16:33, Edwardian said:

Disaster has struck!

As the West Norfolk started off with E B Wilson's, I thought that enough of an excuse to order the Jenny Lind components.  This is a somewhat hefty investment, with Shapeways' pricing structure (ordering buffers individually to a combined total of $28 was a bit of an ouch moment), but I thought it woud be worth it and diligently ordered a full set of components.

I was, therefore, horror struck to find that the order for three of the components; safety valve, chimney and tender body were "cancelled".  Shapeways offers no explanation, and, as a loco without boiler fittings and a tender chassis without a tender body does rather put the kibosh on the project, I thought I'd come to the font, as it were, and ask what can be done?

I certainly did not cancel them.  I placed the order, was charged and then partially refunded, so why might this happen?  Are these items not capable of printing?  I'd re-order but, of course, depending on the reason for the cancellation, that might prove a waste of time.

A lesson learned in trying to purchase a complete locomotives by component.  

Help gratefully appreciated.

Jenny Lind Order 1.jpg

Via the Shapeways shop, prompt help has been offered, for which acknowledgement and thanks.  It is, as I suspected, Shapeways just deciding unilaterally not to print certain items, but offering no explanation as to the nature of the problem.

I have re-ordered the parts, as I believe they are fixed, albeit now only available in WSF.

The prints that Shapeways deigned to produce are exquisite.  I realise that an even better job would be done at far less cost if someone like Knuckles printed them, but, as I'd rather blotted my copybook with our host, I did not presume to ask him, or therefore impose on Knuckles.

Lovely though the Shapeways prints are, it's not going to be economic to keep ordering a whole loco worth of parts that way.

But, as I say, what has arrived is very good ...

IMG_6975.JPG.937747ddf93b697994bb1015ab9ef8b5.JPG

• Like 12

On 14/02/2020 at 22:01, Schooner said:

That lining is exquisite (transfers?), and the loco charming :) 

Thanks for the dose of inspiration this grim Friday evening. Much needed!

Sorry not to have come back to your query sooner. 

The lining is done with transfers, which were produced by the Brighton Circle. Current stock is exhausted but there may be a new batch in due course.

I am glad that the model cheered up your evening!

Best wishes

Eric  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 19/02/2020 at 08:39, burgundy said:

Sorry not to have come back to your query sooner. 

The lining is done with transfers, which were produced by the Brighton Circle. Current stock is exhausted but there may be a new batch in due course.

I am glad that the model cheered up your evening!

Best wishes

Eric  

Any idea what route the Brighton Circle use for producing their transfers? I have produced some Cambrian ones for the 3mm Society, but need to find a new printer due to the sad demise of Wessex Transfers (who produced some excellent stuff).

Nigel

20 hours ago, NCB said:

Any idea what route the Brighton Circle use for producing their transfers? I have produced some Cambrian ones for the 3mm Society, but need to find a new printer due to the sad demise of Wessex Transfers (who produced some excellent stuff).

Nigel

We had used Wessex transfers - and I had not heard the sad news about Rob until, prompted by your note, I googled the site.

I see that the equipment and IPR has been sold on to another business, but with no activity shown to date on production of transfers.

We had already been looking at alternative sources and the Marsh livery transfers are already advertised on the EBM website.

Best wishes

Eric  

By coincidence this month's BackTrack magazine dropped through the letter box, and it contains a good article, part 1 of 2?, on the Brampton Railway including photos of the dandies. It looks to me, though, that the dash boards should be slightly sloping, rather than vertical. 

• Like 1

I assume you're referring to this photo, I would surmise the vehicle has sustained a knock at either end, understandable, the only buffing gear being chauldron buffers pretty much flush with the end of the vehicle, I note that the replica at Beamish has vertical ends, though it is by no means an exact copy

dandy2.jpg

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Killian keane said:

in the view of the printed version you're looking at it from the opposite end, simple as ;)

But then surely if the carriage only has two doors at opposite corners, you turn the 3D print around and the door is still at the wrong end?

• Thanks 1