SD35 measurements between truck centres vs bolsters?

scaro

I have seen a few diagrams for SD35s.  All give 35' between what looks to be the two truck centres, which on an SD35 is the centre axle position, as from what I understand on an SD35,  the axles are evenly spaced.    That is :  6'9 1/2"  +   6'9 1/2". 

However, diagrams drawn by RRs and model magazines are not always right. A couple of the diagrams say the 35' measurement is 'between bolsters'. 

Since on many locos the bolster position is NOT the same as the truck centre, I wanted to check if anyone knows whether an SD35 is really 35' between truck centres?  

Cheers, Ben S. 

Hi, the Utahrails I had not seen, thanks for that.  

The Dieselshop I'm wary of as it actually indicates some of the problems.  Note that for an SD35 it tells us : 

Distance between Truck Centers  48'-07

I think I understand how he got that error,  but it kind of illustrates the problem.

Regards, Ben 

Edited by scaro

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, scaro said:

Hi, the Utahrails I had not seen, thanks for that.  

The Dieselshop I'm wary of as it actually indicates some of the problems.  Note that for an SD35 it tells us : 

Distance between Truck Centers  48'-07

I think I understand how he got that error,  but it kind of illustrates the problem.

Looks like he has provided the total wheelbase.

Yes: big problem. Is it lack of checking up, which raises questions over the accuracy of any information provided, or lack of understanding of the prototype, which raises the same concern - data may be accurate, but not reported correctly.

It indicates to me that there's not much checking going on and therefore the chances of wrong information getting repeated are high.

I found the other day for example that SD40-2s are really 43'3" rather than 43'6" between mid axles.  Surprised me as I'd seen the 43'6" figure for nigh on thirty years; it's in a lot of publications, so I assumed it was right. 

Not a huge difference, but the 43'6" figure is between bolsters.  The figure that's more important for modelling is the mid axle measurement, I 'd think . 

Ben

Edited by scaro