Turntable layout with loco shed and coaling

Paudie30

Hi everyone,

I am starting a new layout and looking for some inspiration for a small layout with a turntable.  I want a multi track engine shed / storage and a coaling point.  If anyone knows a good place to look that would be most helpful.

This is a OO gauge layout with peck track and a peco turntable in DCC.

Probably use scalescenes stone engine shed 

thanks,

Paudie

Edited by Paudie30

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paudie,

What size are you thinking of?

I've just started a similarly themed layout here: Hinton Road Engine Shed

Mine will be 16' x 3', but that's in 7mm O gauge.

In OO that should easily fit in 8' x 2' or less.

There are several threads on here on similar layouts - search for "road engine shed" or "coaling stage" will bring some up.

Edited by GWR57xx
correction to sizes

Which region/railway are you thinking of? Different railways had different coaling arrangements - an LMS coaling plant like Carnforth takes up a lot less space than a GWR coaling stage like Didcot. And many other railways just had simple coaling platforms - either single or double sided.

Thanks GWR57xx,

I have about 600mm 2’ x 1500mm 5’ to play with.  Really like your plan.  I am looking for something a little different with the turntable feeding a multi track engine shed.  2 road engine shed with 1 beside.

Currently doing plans on computer program and sticking loose bits together.

RSJ1977, looking to be flexible and not sticking to a region.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paudie,

If you haven't come across it yet I recommend the program AnyRail for your track planning.

It's a free download for evaluation and as long as your layout is less than 50 pieces of track.

It's very easy to use, and has pre-configured libraries of track geometry for most ranges of track, including Peco.

You just drag and drop track into place, and you can easily manipulate them to represent flexi-track.

It will show you exactly what will fit in your space.

Many RMWebbers use it, myself included.

I went through a similar exercise and as I am not good at track design I asked the good people of this forum to help. I am very happy with the outcome and here is the relevant thread which may or may not be of help to you:-