Minerva Model Railways announce a GW Open A wagon

mountaingoat

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, 81A Oldoak said:

It is important to remember that this is a photograph of the first assembled engineering prototype of the this model and is subject to review and amendment. We are not yet content with the buffers.  Note also that the moulded strapping inside the wagon is incorrect. It will not be present on the production version.

Chris Klein 

Thanks Chris.

I'm just curious how the process works. Easy to see how something like internal strapping appears as a mirror of the outside which could even be on the CADs and still easily overlooked initially, but i don't quite see how something would come out a completely completely different style and shape to the CAD? 

I had presumed the CAD designs directly drive the tooling but presumably that's not the case and they have to be adapted again, hence there is a first EP produced to check?

Understand if this is a secret of the trade!

12 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Thanks Chris.

I'm just curious how the process works. Easy to see how something like internal strapping appears as a mirror of the outside which could even be on the CADs and still easily overlooked initially, but i don't quite see how something would come out a completely completely different style and shape to the CAD? 

I had presumed the CAD designs directly drive the tooling but presumably that's not the case and they have to be adapted again, hence there is a first EP produced to check?

Understand if this is a secret of the trade!

It's very simple in this case. The engineer inadvertently used an earlier version of the CAD. The final version of the drawing we approved has the correct representation of bolt heads without the strapping.  Fortunately, it will cost us nothing to correct this error. 

Regards,

CK

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

16 hours ago, Welsh Signaller said:

Would these vehicles have survived into British Railways service? 

They’ll go very nicely with the Class 14 I’m sure.

We are doing Diagram 11. It is possible that a few may have survived into BR ownership and we will be producing a BR unfitted livery. Several ended up in private ownership in the 1950s e.g. Port of Bristol Authority (PBA) and it is these that have survived into preservation.  I will certainly be running a few in BR guise.

CK

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 06/06/2019 at 17:25, 81A Oldoak said:

We are doing Diagram 11. It is possible that a few may have survived into BR ownership and we will be producing a BR unfitted livery. Several ended up in private ownership in the 1950s e.g. Port of Bristol Authority (PBA) and it is these that have survived into preservation.  I will certainly be running a few in BR guise.

CK

Thanks Chris that's really useful. Do you know whether they would have strayed far in BR days or would they have been confined to the Western Region? 

1 hour ago, south_tyne said:

Thanks Chris that's really useful. Do you know whether they would have strayed far in BR days or would they have been confined to the Western Region? 

They were common user wagons as far as I know, so it is likely they would have strayed.

Chris

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 81A Oldoak said:

Correct. We changed our minds. 

Chris,

The 011 has a wider top plank as the sides were 3" taller than an 04 - the planks were not evenly divided.

Regards,

Craig W

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Craigw said:

Chris,

The 011 has a wider top plank as the sides were 3" taller than an 04 - the planks were not evenly divided.

Regards,

Craig W

A fair few variances which would make it a more typical looking wagon and much more easily converted to an 013 China clay. I say this as I was about to spent a rainy day converting a batch of coopercraft which might now be heading for eBay!

I don't know what the thing in the photograph is supposed to be, but it isn't an O4 and it isn't an O11. Minerva has known for 8 months that its CAD is in disarray, and it is curious an engineering prototype has been produced that Minerva knows is a fiction.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Is there  a "I bow to your superior knowledge button"...must admit to being a Philistine when it comes to wagons ,but it was great reading about different builds !! will still be buying a Minerva wagon or two tho !

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I don't know what the thing in the photograph is supposed to be, but it isn't an O4 and it isn't an O11. Minerva has known for 8 months that its CAD is in disarray, and it is curious an engineering prototype has been produced that Minerva knows is a fiction.

I'm glad to learn it wasn't just me being confused. I model at 4 mm/ft so my confusion is irrelevant but nevertheless I hope for everyone's sake Minerva produce a prototypically correct wagon in the end.

• Agree 2