Nailsea Model Railway Show 2019

AySea

There's only five weeks to go until the 2019 Nailsea Model Railway Show, so thought it was about time to start a thread about it.

The below is copied from the Nailsea MRC website;

This two day event will have a range of model railway layouts covering many different scales, regions and eras, with numerous trade stalls as well as society stands and demonstrations.

When  – Saturday 6th April 2019, 10:30am to 5pm
             – Sunday 7th April 2019, 10am to 4pm
Where – Nailsea School, Mizzymead Road, Nailsea, North Somerset, BS48 2HJ

Ground floor with no known issues with disabled access
Free parking immediately outside the venue
Refreshments Available (Additional Charges Apply)

Admission Charges:
Adult – £6.00
Child – £2.00
Family – £14.00

List of Layouts:
Amiens 1918 – Tracks & Trenches – OO-9 gauge
Beckenvick – HO scale
Bristol Goods Shed – 7mm scale
Bristol St Philips – OO gauge
Calstock’s Halton Quay – O gauge
Cedar Canyon Junction – N gauge
Cheddar S&DJR – P4 scale
Children’s Corner – OO gauge
Longmoor – N gauge
Mutton – OO gauge
Port Washington Terminal – HO scale
Redford Junction – TT / 3mm scale

Roundy Layout – OO-9 gauge
Sans Souci – N gauge
Scharps Park & Kingswell Fairground – OO gauge
Smallcombe – OO gauge
Studland – “A Brick Brothers Project” – Lego Layout
Swanford – Gauge 1
Vinters Yard – EM gauge
Weston-super-Mare N-gauge group modular layouts; Clifford Chambers, Otterhampton, and Harry’s Rail Tours – N gauge

List of Traders:
David Smith Books
Freestone Model Accessories
Just in Case
Keith’s Bits & Pieces
Lord & Butler
Modelmania
Railroom Electronics
Ray Heard Model Railways

List of Other Demonstrators and Stands:
Nailsea Model Railway Club Information Stand and Test Track
3mm scale modelling with Mike Corp
4mm scale model buildings by Dave Barrett
4mm scale, 18.2 gauge. Achievable excellence by the EM gauge society
Building 7mm models by Ian Roll
Static Grass with Gordon Gravett
The Railway Series, Rebooted by Corwin Bainbridge
Childrens Hospice South-West
Dean Forest Railway Society
Ffestiniog Railway Society
WC&P Railway Group
West Somerset Railway

Edited by AySea
Updated Attendees
  • Like 1

There's now just over two weeks to go and I have just updated the attendees in the first post.

There has been an additional layout squeezed in bringing the total to 20 layouts and the West Somerset Railway will also have a stand there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nice to meet AySea and to have a nosey round at the varied and interesting layouts being set up this evening, as I mentioned to AySea I'm seen here showing off my collection post-Beeching Axe after everything's gone to Cashmore's.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf76.jpg.eef2117b905cb66595d5a369c0b65d17.jpg

• Like 4

On 21/03/2019 at 21:01, AySea said:

There's now just over two weeks to go and I have just updated the attendees in the first post.

There has been an additional layout squeezed in bringing the total to 20 layouts and the West Somerset Railway will also have a stand there.

Hi, just over a few hours to go now !

Do you have venue plan ?

Some years ago I visited a superb Nailsea show in a light, well spaced, airy, non shoulder_to_shoulder (sans anorack !) large room (main hall / assembly ?)  display area, well accessed from excellent car parking  & mobility.

Sadly  a few years later, the venue was the same school but the exhibits (and vendors) were crammed into corridors and side-rooms (classrooms?)

A shambles !

Should I visit again ?

Edited by BorderShed

40 minutes ago, BorderShed said:

Hi, just over a few hours to go now !

Do you have venue plan ?

Some years ago I visited a superb Nailsea show in a light, well spaced, airy, non shoulder_to_shoulder (sans anorack !) large room (main hall / assembly ?)  display area, well accessed from excellent car parking  & mobility.

Sadly  a few years later, the venue was the same school but the exhibits (and vendors) were crammed into corridors and side-rooms (classrooms?)

A shambles !

Should I visit again ?

I don't have a plan to hand at the moment, however I can try and upload one once I get to the show (I'm not one of the show organisers, just a Club member that helps out over the weekend).

I only recall one year where the show was held in a sports hall, but I wasn't a member then and can't remember much about that time. I know I didn't go every year around that time as it was before I went back to my model railway stuff. All the subsequent shows since I've been a member at the club, have been held in the School's Atrium, with a couple of layouts in the corridor and a couple of classrooms, so probably the same kind of area to when you last visited. There have been two small classrooms used in the past which we no longer use for various reasons, one of them being due to the lack of space and access. There is a larger classroom off of the same corridor that we still use, but that isn't so tight for space as the two smaller classrooms were.

Personally, I don't recall having had a problem with layouts being crammed in as such over the last couple of years (apart from in the rooms we no longer use as mentioned above), however I don't think I have ever been to a show that doesn't have some kind of pinch point somewhere. I expect it's difficult to predict exactly where people will stop and get in other peoples way. Not all of the layouts for this years show have arrived yet, so I'm not 100% sure of what space there is between everything yet. There are a couple of additional stands in the corridor though compared to previous years.

On the question of should you visit again, I'm sure we'd love to have you at the show and hope that you find it better than your previous visit, but I guess that it's entirely your choice as to whether any of what I have written above encourages you to visit or not.

Don't know how to resize photos on my tablet, so hopefully this is okay. I've attached a photo of the map on the back of the guide book. A couple of the layouts have swapped position, but otherwise, the layout is generally correct.

20190406_083612.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Day 1 went well, after an initial period for the layout to settle down. I am pretty hoarse this evening, which  means that I talked to a lot of visitors! Sudrian Histories is just across the aisle at one end and  Amiens 1918 is opposite. The EMGS demo is right behind me. 

IMG_8096.JPG.5c90aad1623bde79aeb3082082ff8056.JPG

Younger visitors seemed to use the steps more than I did and appeared to enjoy being asked to find things on the layout!

IMG_8098.JPG.577be3023843662284c21ca756487054.JPG

If you are in the area, pay a visit tomorrow!

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Cracking day today, need to remember to stay hydrated though, nearly talked myself hoarse by lunch time!

Nice to meet lots of people and a good chat with my layout neighbours/RMWebbers. People seemed interested in the NWR project and had nice things to say.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf98.jpg.17df5d38778d6ae100b473a95c7c456f.jpg

This large scale Jubilee is gorgeous.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf85.jpg.f05845d90e8a63eb397452780c294ca8.jpg

I tried Skarloey on the test track and it disgraced itself by running out of battery power too early, so a second attempt with 'Revenge' was made, which turned into a haulage test...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf93.jpg.cf540ff4af8cb1e3d309439df22f986f.jpg

IMG_2170.JPG.60df9d2a324c38f7721caee2e3ad1299.JPG 

The little Bagnall also had a go...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf8c.jpg.f37be640e8dc9dca05b422dd03c70fb4.jpg

I rather liked this Bulleid 'might have been', apparently the builder has made 3, and this one was made without any repainting needed!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf7b.jpg.d55cbd4c8c712c7c2a3b7ad24d12c148.jpg

Bristol St. Philips is a great layout.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_bf88.jpg.1f13ae029239e4ba9922c64ae367c95a.jpg

• Like 5

Unfortunately Modelmania and Just in Case didn't make it to the show yesterday due to vehicle troubles. Seemed fairly busy yesterday, although I don't know what numbers came through the door yet.

Following on from a visitors comment yesterday about a lack of seating areas for people to eat and drink their purchases from the catering, there is some seating in the schools Auditorium for this use which is located through a door to the left of where T5 should be or through a door to the right of where S6 is on the plan I posted yesterday. Apparently we've had the use of the Auditorium for a few years, but this is the first time a lot of us have found out about it because the school have charged extra for it's use this year. Hopefully we can get improved signage to direct people made up for next time.

• RMweb Gold

Rich offered to fill up ModelMania’s spot on the Sunday by bringing his RC Playmobil G scale stuff, so we were up late last night getting it all boxed up and ready to go.

A flurry of activity this morning and we had a nice little set up. Sabina wasn’t too happy about me borrowing the house plants but I think they helped vary things a bit. The station building was a dolls house we found in the school!

1051188C-F678-4829-B4A6-65A11EB5076B.jpeg.490f6010d5971dc30e0b756a3194497c.jpeg

6C1B864C-0917-4B09-A965-254CB5DD492E.jpeg.a6c26b74e912e60c2e8fec3c11fa1c2d.jpeg

BA8124CE-DE87-4544-A342-C588F5DE1284.jpeg.ca2d3a2267af26629bcc11ac5c7f5052.jpeg

F950545E-95F8-4FA9-9BC8-9FF435376E13.jpeg.15de747c775150ddff7b0d5911e011cd.jpeg

We got plenty of kids and grown ups having a go, only 3 derailments which was pretty good going considering the mad skids some of the children were attempting!

This chap is reading the show guide.

89F5E044-CA0A-4ED1-9ABA-76CFD1A222A7.jpeg.a26d95ab0105170ea66dde7ccc20aba8.jpeg

Madison the Husky/Collie mix looks on

EFDB11B8-5201-4BDA-8D5C-CC6721F90E1D.jpeg.f39066bf8581b37f717972f43c8fb369.jpeg

A bit of spare soil needed shovelling.

FC64F876-281A-4721-9FCA-DE35ACC8AD76.jpeg.a1c912da29a9580ed1faa5c3774d1989.jpeg

The test track had more awesome Australian models running, I couldn’t resist the opportunity to have a Garratt race...

CBD3EDED-E695-4892-AD84-CB484206FC12.jpeg.821ea0d74200c7c848ced9f24e85750c.jpeg

7D6052FC-722A-4471-9396-EF799D4DFCAD.jpeg.7b2a62ee1e75f912f6791254650ff423.jpeg

24F278CA-2711-408A-9B3C-8862797C6285.jpeg.7b2d5040431861250623a6365da03f2b.jpeg

Edited by Corbs
got my hair stuck in a ceiling fan
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Despite it being only a short gallop up the M5 from home, it's the first time I've been to Nailsea Show. It will most assuredly not be my last visit.

The whole thing really impressed me, and it is now firmly on my "go to" list for future years.

Of an excellent selection of varied layouts, sensibly laid out to avoid bottlenecks. One or two were familiar. However, quality exhibits like Calstock Halton Quay, Cheddar and Amiens generously repay repeated viewings. The overall standard was very high with Smallcombe, Vintner's Yard and Port Washington Terminal particularly standing out for me.

It was also great to put a couple of faces to familiar RMWeb "handles", NHY 581 (Mutton is a superb example of what can be achieved using mainly off-the-shelf products and a good dollop of creative nous) and Corbs whose imaginative adaptation of r-t-r locos is fascinating. Both gentlemen's conversational skills also helped ensure I stayed a good deal longer than I had anticipated! Hope to see you at Staplegrove.

That nice Mr Heard managed to give my credit card a gentle workout once again and the loco in question was able to get a quick canter on the Nailsea Club test track to prove it was as mint mechanically as it appeared cosmetically. Also, good refreshments and somewhere calm to sit and enjoy them. 

Super way to spend a Sunday in April. Only slightly blighted by the M5 roadworks on the way back and my new satnav's apparent determination to send me home via Cullompton.....

Very Good Job, Nailsea & District MRC, and my appreciation to all who made it go so smoothly. See you next year.

John   

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Had a wonderful weekend with Amiens 1918 at the Nailsea & District Model Railway Exhibition.

Was great to get to catch-up, and put a few faces to names too. As always, excellent food and cakes :)

The new Protected Simplex has certainly be taking up the miles. 
Well done indeed!

IMG_20190407_101036.jpg

IMG_20190407_153943_1.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

However, quality exhibits like Calstock Halton Quay, Cheddar and Amiens generously repay repeated viewings.

In that case I hope you are coming to Trainwest next weekend because two of those will be among the twenty layouts at the show.

Geoff Endacott

6th & 7th April 2019 saw the Nailsea & District Model Railway Club host their annual Model Railway Exhibition, at Nailsea School, Somerset. This years line-up featured no less than 19 layouts in a variety of gauges and scales, including my 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway - Amiens 1918, as well as a good selection of Trade Stands and Demos. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuB88owoklU

Nailsea-Model-Railway-Exhib.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the video of the show SDJR7F88 

had a great flash back moment around 4.20 when the WD 280 started going around with a bit of cotton wool comeing out of the chimney , very chigley/ trumpton esk     Took me back to being a kid when the song

"I like rideing on a train" as the little puffs of wool were pulled out of the chimney in the show

worryingly once I stopped sniggering ,I thought it looked better than nothing comeing out of the chimney!

Edited by Graham456