Distilleries - steam era features?

justin1985

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

Translations on receipt of distillary products! 

Jim 

If it’s all the same, Jim, I’ll keep the products and after a while, won’t be worried about a translation!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

A wedding wish:

May the moos ne'er leave yer girnal was a teardrop in its e'e

Translations on receipt of distillary products! 

If my own model distillery gets into production, I'll send you a miniature for translating "May the moos ne'er leave yer girnal was a teardrop in its e'e"

1 hour ago, Caley Jim said:

That should have been ".....wae a teardrap......"

Jim (b****y predictive text again!) 

I think it's supposed to be "wi' " (with) - "wae" would be the Scots version of "woe".

Sorry... this is all getting a bit OT, probably because I used the word "lum", as my dad did in his 1966 RM article....

Alasdair

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

This is all rather surreal; a discussion on Scots language and the weaknesses of predictive text!  When I was at school the use of Scots vernacular anywhere within the grounds was regarded as insubordination, and was treated as such.  That was official Scottish Office Education Department policy!

Fascinating thread.

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• 1 month later...

I'm in Pitlochry visiting family and went to Dewers Aberfeldy site to have a look round. The loco and wagon sit on what I believe is original siding. With a planned project in mind, I can't see if there were more than one siding/ headshunt etc. The O S map only indicates one set back siding. If anyone has a detailed track plan, it would be most helpful.

Tod

3 hours ago, SweenyTod1 said:

I'm in Pitlochry visiting family and went to Dewers Aberfeldy site to have a look round. The loco and wagon sit on what I believe is original siding. With a planned project in mind, I can't see if there were more than one siding/ headshunt etc. The O S map only indicates one set back siding. If anyone has a detailed track plan, it would be most helpful.

Tod

Apologies. Had I looked at page 2 I would have seen the impressive OS map and aerial photo overlay by AJCT. That is exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks for that and others showing building drawings. All together, you have you lot have given me no excuses for not "getting on with it!" 

Now when I get home...........

Thanks eveyone

Tod

18 minutes ago, SweenyTod1 said:

Apologies. Had I looked at page 2 I would have seen the impressive OS map and aerial photo overlay by AJCT. That is exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks for that and others showing building drawings. All together, you have you lot have given me no excuses for not "getting on with it!" 

Thanks eveyone

Tod

You're welcome !

Alasdair

2 hours ago, SweenyTod1 said:

Thanks eveyone

Tod

You've actually reminded me about this, as I was having doubts about my own track plan. I'm now reassured that both Aberfeldy and Dallas Dhu (just sount of  Forres, if anyone cares to look) have the same configuration of sidings as what I have planned.

• 1 month later...

Reply to AJCT, yes I do remember Mr. Julian of 'Homecrafts'. The shop was not far up Home Street from where my in-laws lived in Tollcross, when I lived in Edinburgh. I'm sure I got my first copy of Railway Modeller from there, and my first advice about more serious railway modelling. How much of a coincidence is it, that I have just bought a bottle of Aberfeldy 12-year old malt whisky today - the container for which depicts their old 'pug' shunter - and there within your posts on the subject, is a photo of the distillery! The image on their packaging is that of an industrial steam shunter type I recognise, but I have e-mailed them for any details of the 'pug' which might be in their archives anyway. As an aside, on a slightly different topic, does anyone (perhaps ACJT) know anything of the Edinburgh & Dumfriesshire Dairy plant in West Bryson Road, Edinburgh, in the 1950/60's? It was rail-connected I believe, and serviced I think by milk trains consisting of 6-wheel ex-LMS tank wagons. Information on layout, buildings, tank wagon livery, train schedules etc. would be a great help. Apologies for having  gone off subject gents.   

On 13/10/2019 at 17:19, SweenyTod1 said:

Thanks eveyone

Tod

Hi Tod,

I can supply a drawing showing layout at Aberfeldy Distillery if you ping me your email.

kind regards,

Robert

On 26/11/2019 at 16:51, MacDuff999 said:

Reply to AJCT, yes I do remember Mr. Julian of 'Homecrafts'. The shop was not far up Home Street from where my in-laws lived in Tollcross, when I lived in Edinburgh. I'm sure I got my first copy of Railway Modeller from there, and my first advice about more serious railway modelling. ............................................ As an aside, on a slightly different topic, does anyone (perhaps ACJT) know anything of the Edinburgh & Dumfriesshire Dairy plant in West Bryson Road, Edinburgh, in the 1950/60's? It was rail-connected I believe, and serviced I think by milk trains consisting of 6-wheel ex-LMS tank wagons. Information on layout, buildings, tank wagon livery, train schedules etc. would be a great help. Apologies for having  gone off subject gents.   

Yes, I think I bought my first whitemetal kit from Homecrafts in the 1970s - a Gem "Glen", which Mr.Julian thought should be within my then capabilities....

Sorry, don't know anything about the E&DD rail connection, though I've often wondered about the purpose of the siding referred to in this pic from RailScot - https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/50/881/

Alasdair

18 hours ago, Corrour said:

Hi Tod,

I can supply a drawing showing layout at Aberfeldy Distillery if you ping me your email.

kind regards,

Robert

I'd be interested to see that too, to see if my assumption holds true that the sidings could be worked by both Up and Down goods trains...!

Alasdair

114906348_P9091146(2).JPG.79f02a7334589d75eb31a45369e00d8b.JPGP9091148_(2).JPG.3876a45c91facc1703e8651b590e5412.JPG1445548031_P9091149(2).JPG.be2ad7e3a6846f571e2316b21a74147f.JPG1442971843_P9091150(2).JPG.6be44f6c9c8d0be8afa250aa092e7e88.JPG1611524631_P9091151(2).JPG.13700ab3aff09f110e4808a16678c640.JPG

On 26/11/2019 at 17:06, MacDuff999 said:

Re other photos ACJT, would be interested to see those. My proposed project is hovering between the dairy topic I mentioned earlier, and a possible distillery diorama or similar. Nothing to do with the malt whisky of course! 

OK: it was a rather dull day so I've lightened the pics a wee bit. Looks like the pug could do with a little TLC, though.

HTH - Alasdair

P9091146 (2).JPG

P9091148_(2).JPG

P9091149 (2).JPG

P9091150 (2).JPG

P9091151 (2).JPG

Edited by AJCT
Tidying up.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AJCT said:

OK: it was a rather dull day so I've lightened the pics a wee bit. Looks like the pug could do with a little TLC, though.

HTH - Alasdair

P9091146 (2).JPG

P9091148_(2).JPG

P9091149 (2).JPG

P9091150 (2).JPG

P9091151 (2).JPG

Nice pics AJCT. Here's signalling diagram and an old pic that may be of interest. The Distillery did have its own signal box which closed in 1935 being replaced by the GF.

kind regards,

Robert

Aberfeldy [Distillery GF] M5 1947 [A6].jpg

Aberfeldy_Dist_[HR].jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 27/11/2019 at 18:43, Corrour said:

Hi Tod,

kind regards,

Robert

Hi Robert, I did PM my email to you, but not received your drawing yet. I have had to buy a new laptop recently and it doesn't recognise much of my details' I still am in the process of updating, changing passwords etc. I hope RMweb knows who I am now???!!

Please try again to PM me, if that doesn't work, flag it up on the usual pages, then we can go from there.

Many thanks for your offer, I look forward to seeing it.

regards 

Tod

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a Scottish themed layout and would be grateful for any of the following information:

What would be the best way of finding a 2mm drawing of a distillery?

Are there any manufacturers out there that produce any models?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, allan31956 said:

Hi,

I'm in the process of building a Scottish themed layout and would be grateful for any of the following information:

What would be the best way of finding a 2mm drawing of a distillery?

Are there any manufacturers out there that produce any models?

Feel free to drop me a line and I can point you to some info on distilleries.

• 1 year later...

Hello, I am French and I would like to reproduce a Scottish distillery with a railway connection.
In the topic " Distilleries - steam era features? ", I can't see the photos on edge, chrome, firefox and safari browsers.
Are the links still active?
Cordially. Pascal

Bonjour, je suis francais et j'aimerai reproduire une distillerie Ecossaise avec un embranchement ferroviare.
Dans le topic " Distilleries - steam era features? ", je n'arrive pas à consulter les photos sur les navigateurs edge, chrome, firefox et safari. 
Les liens sont ils toujours actifs? 
Cordialement. Pascal

• RMweb Premium

Bonsoir Pascal,

There was a major problem with RMweb last year which nearly resulted in the complete loss of the site. This did not happen but many images were lost as a result. Some of these may eventually reappear in time but some may be lost permanently.

It would require the original member to repost these pictures.

It is not a fault with your browser.

Edited by keefer