Anycubic Photon and Mono X 3D DLP Printers

I've found Flashprint good for allowing me to put supports wherever I want. Yes its another piece of software but its a free download, very polished and its as simple to use as both the photon slicer and chitubox.  When you save it as an .stl you end up with both the original (unsupported) file and one with supports, suitable to put into the slicer.

http://www.flashforge.com/flashprint/

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Very interesting thread, thanks all for taking the time to introduce the subject and providing such good feedback on the pros and cons. 

Reading and learning, not quite tempted just yet but I'm warming to the idea. 

• Agree 3

The locomotive body shown previously was printed in one piece at a 30 degree angle and 0.035mm layer thickness. I got carried away with adding the supports having started by letting the slicer add them automatically and then manually adding/deleting as I saw fit and should have spent far longer doing so hence some suspect support marks that need manually carving away. The loco is very much a work-in-progress at present.

Another print from one of Jason's models is the GNR Railcar. This was too long to fit in the build area of the Photon (unless I placed it vertically) so it was split into the centre section and separate cabs. All printed at 30 degrees and again at 0.035mm layer thickness. After cleaning up the parts were then superglued together and joints filled:

IMG_8175.JPG.d8a96e6c09581a90c2970f0173dce187.JPG

IMG_8179.JPG.dc1afc0cb8a43407e1c1d3f4f639537f.JPG

IMG_8231.JPG.dc0e532ff6ec3d231609165dda06ea20.JPG

• Like 11

57 minutes ago, mvrattler said:

Do you have .stl files in 7mm . I will have to split the body also to fit the print bed ( Aldi Cocoon Create Touch)

All my models have been done in 4mm. For 7mm I have simply scaled them by a factor of 1.75. For the 7mm Gresley Sideframes I then reduced the scaled flange thickness.

• Informative/Useful 1

Nothing Earth shattering but I have a number of Romford turned brass coach wheels that could do with "improving". With that in mind I knocked up some contoured wheel centres:

IMG_8276.JPG.96cd0d4283c10008d06d408a25251ff5.JPG

IMG_8279.JPG.150d6513afc1f88a1e90309281cd3087.JPG

These were printed at 30 degrees at 0.02mm layer thickness. Interestingly the two holes on the prototype were 2inch diameter so the model was made with 0.666mm holes but have printed at nearer 0.3mm. Likewise the centre hole has come out slightly undersize. Fortunately fairly easy to remedy.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I did the same for a member of another forum - Gauge 3 Mansell disks for wagon wheels for an early wagon.   Printed at 30 degrees and 30 micron layers using Phrozen Gray

3DPrinting-018.jpg

Edited by flubrush
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I am continually amazed at what this printer is capable of. I have a love of the early LB&SCR and have a blog of various things I have designed but never really completed because of a lack of fittings.

see http://ianmaccormacmodels.blogspot.com/

This situation is now becoming fixed with the aid of the Fusion 360 and this machine.

I am getting quite excited about what is possible!  The photo shows 7mm parts at left and front and 4mm parts to the back right. The smallest parts are the smokebox lubricators, whistle and clack valves in 4mm.

Right, more!

Cheers and thanks for all the encouragement!

Ian

310319 Craven Slaughter Goods parts 4 and 7mm.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi Mike

Have you thought about producing an LNER bogie in 4mm with a 10' wheelbase for the Coronation/Silver Jubilee sets.  I don't believe that this has been done before ( apart from the Ian Kirk which is not available)

Regards

Norman Blackburn

I have considered many things but they all take time. At present these are for my own use only and I really do not want to start producing mouldings from the machine for third parties. This might all change if Shapeways' prices come down.

Is RMWeb capable of hoisting a small library of model rail 3D designs? It would be good to have a few tried and tested designs available here for 3D print newbies like myself. Thingiverse seems to offer very little of interest in that sphere.

Edited by dpgibbons
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, MikeTrice said:

I believe RMWeb will allow .stl files to be uploaded. Whether people would be prepared to upload them though is a different matter.

I wouldn't do this as it would potentially open the way for people to sell prints of my designs without any way to regulate this. A few years ago, I fell foul to somebody obtaining one of my designs without my permission and then selling the prints. I informed them of this but to no avail. As I haven't the time or money to take legal action, they are still selling the prints to this day - nor can I be bother with the problems of publicly saying who this is as I've seen how such public debates turn out on social media.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

673111310_lamptopbung.jpg.1628726e4b6df5cb909cb18fe38f5c58.jpg1049069730_lamptop.jpg.39c7e8f2bff7cec6aa77f30809e9ac25.jpg                                                                                                    Hi, I have been trying out some cheaper resin that Amazon are selling at £15.26 per 500ml. Elegoo LCD UV Rapid Resin. It's just increased in price to £17.49!

The holes in the top of the sides of the lamp top are 0.2mm and the handle on the top of the bung is 0.4mm diameter, still  using the 0.035 layers and the settings as Mike above. Surprisingly strong once UV Cured!

All sorts of possibilities are being thought about for this development, not enough hours in the days to properly learn the software to draw and then print it all!!

I have some carriages now with all the castings sorted and am making steady progress on some locos.

More when I have them completed.

Cheers Ian

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1