Anycubic Photon and Mono X 3D DLP Printers

• RMweb Gold

After seeing @woko’s buildings and reading @Locksley’s layout thread, I thought I’d have a go at drawing up and printing a GNR waiting room. He recommended .3mm mortar lines that are .3mm deep - which worked out really well. The layers of bricks means the walls are 4mm thick in places, so it’s really sturdy!

I repaired the building in MS 3D Builder, sliced it in Lychee, then printed the thing flat onto the build plate of the Mono X with a small margin at the bottom that can be set into a platform. I used standard resin settings. I completely forgot to support the window structures, so they had a bit of a tough time. It has a hipped roof which I’ll probably do using thick card or similar.

64F93562-EED6-4746-BFBA-73C96F9BC694.jpeg.297555218a93806d075b35027e1bcc11.jpeg

8AE19855-F6EB-403B-B2AD-1F5163DFE3CF.jpeg.4fae935697af27d1137852692f004a3f.jpeg

I’ve used this first print as a test for my painting. The software is telling me it cost $1.60 to print.

7F4E2CB2-4DBF-4B1C-9314-F9B07AA78817.jpeg.8f4cfcc2efe933ea9485e0d97c370e05.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Lovely little model. I have been trying to design some buildings in Fusion but due to the number of bricks required I have found the software is crashing when trying to copy another row of bricks.

Do you have any tips on how to pruduce the bricks.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That looks fantastic sir! I have yet to do any resin printing for my buildings, but that result you have there looks great, I think I need to print something, top work sir.

@alangdance If you are struggling with the software, you could try splitting the model up into smaller sections to print! It may also be that you don't have enough RAM/memory in your machine to handle heavy files? 3D modelling does require a bit of a juicy machine in my experience! I chuck crazy amount of triangles around on my PC, hence having 64gb of memory! This is however a little excessive, but I would recommend anywhere between 16-32gb if possible of memory.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, woko said:

That looks fantastic sir! I have yet to do any resin printing for my buildings, but that result you have there looks great, I think I need to print something, top work sir.

@alangdance If you are struggling with the software, you could try splitting the model up into smaller sections to print! It may also be that you don't have enough RAM/memory in your machine to handle heavy files? 3D modelling does require a bit of a juicy machine in my experience! I chuck crazy amount of triangles around on my PC, hence having 64gb of memory! This is however a little excessive, but I would recommend anywhere between 16-32gb if possible of memory.

Are you using a desktop with a separate graphics card or a laptop with integrated graphics? Perhaps @alangdance is using an online version, I managed to 'break' an online version with only a very small brick wall:unsure:. Simon

2 hours ago, alangdance said:

Lovely little model. I have been trying to design some buildings in Fusion but due to the number of bricks required I have found the software is crashing when trying to copy another row of bricks.

Do you have any tips on how to pruduce the bricks.

Alan

I'd use rectangular patterns for the mortar lines. 

11 minutes ago, alangdance said:

I am using a desktop PC but with only 8g of memory. I believe fusion is installed onto my pc.

#I also think the graphic card is built into the motherboard so that could be an issue.

Fusion is on the cloud. You need only 4Gb memory on your PC, but check which version of Windows you are using 

Edited by billbedford

• RMweb Gold

I used Blender to model the waiting room. I'll be doing the rest of the buildings for Havenhouse (Lincs) over the next few weeks. I think I'll start a thread to put them on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JCL said:

I used Blender to model the waiting room. I'll be doing the rest of the buildings for Havenhouse (Lincs) over the next few weeks. I think I'll start a thread to put them on.

I realty like the architecture add on or whatever its called in Blender. especially the roofing bit. Just choose the tile/roof covering  that you want and it it creates a ready tiled 3D roof.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MikeTrice said:

I note a beta version of Chitubox that supports the Mono X is imminent.

I saw that, something else to try as people think it’s the bees knees.

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, alangdance said:

Any chance of a little tutorial on how you do it on blender.

Alan

I can in a couple of weeks - I’ll put it on the buildings thread

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, JCL said:

I saw that, something else to try as people think it’s the bees knees.

I think actually a lot of people think Lychee is better (I didn't, it's more versatile, but I've no issues with how Chitbuox works), merely that Chitubox is the ubiquitous solution for every printer other than Anycubic!

19 hours ago, JCL said:

Interesting, I'll have a look for it. Thanks for letting me know.

Yeah its called archipack and  comes rolled into Blender already but you need to turn it on in the preference to use it

Oh you need to do something like adding the libraries too from memory otherwise it hangs, unless they've fixed that bit up from when it happenned to me two years ago!

Heres a bit of a rundown, roofing bit is around 7.30 minutes. You can create several roof types, slate, corrugated surfaces etc with just a button click - its pretty cool.

Oh yeah, it even automatically adds the gutters for you too!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/01/2021 at 10:49, monkeysarefun said:

Yeah its called archipack and  comes rolled into Blender already but you need to turn it on in the preference to use it

Oh you need to do something like adding the libraries too from memory otherwise it hangs, unless they've fixed that bit up from when it happenned to me two years ago!

Heres a bit of a rundown, roofing bit is around 7.30 minutes. You can create several roof types, slate, corrugated surfaces etc with just a button click - its pretty cool.

Oh yeah, it even automatically adds the gutters for you too!

Unfortunately it's not working for me on 2.90.0. I only see a semi-transparent black box that I have to Esc out of.

11 minutes ago, JCL said:

Unfortunately it's not working for me on 2.90.0. I only see a semi-transparent black box that I have to Esc out of.

Being a trendsetter I've got 2.91 and it works for me.

Did you do the  "render preset  thumbs" bit ? - In preferences -> add-ons  select  the dropdown arrow beside the archipack add-on and it should open up preferences for it.  A bit of a way down is a wide button with "Render Preset Thumbs" on it. Press that, a DOS box will come up and run through a script that renders each element.  Can take a little while and it is confusing because it says "COMPLETED" after its done each element that makes it looks like it means its actually completed everything, so just let it run for 15 minutes or so.... 

Edited by monkeysarefun

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Being a trendsetter I've got 2.91 and it works for me.

Did you do the  "render preset  thumbs" bit ? - In preferences -> add-ons  select  the dropdown arrow beside the archipack add-on and it should open up preferences for it.  A bit of a way down is a wide button with "Render Preset Thumbs" on it. Press that, a DOS box will come up and run through a script that renders each element.  Can take a little while and it is confusing because it says "COMPLETED" after its done each element that makes it looks like it means its actually completed everything, so just let it run for 15 minutes or so.... 

Thank you! It was me. I'll write up some stuff about this on the other thread when I have a look at it, rather than taking over this one. :)