Sunderland Wear Viaduct

• RMweb Premium

Was going to Stadium of Light yesterday and noticed a large and partly demolished rail viaduct over the Wear, upstream  (I think) of the fancy new road bridge. What is its' history please as the whole area has been massively re landscaped from the look of things. 

Thanks

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't open to rail very long closed about 1928. Always thought the structure was quite excessive for a freight only line. It was one of those  bridges that was still a BR asset and maintenance liability long after the railway had finished with it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The road deck continued in use although I imagine that the new bridge has drawn ff a lot of the traffic. One of the route options considered for extending the Metro system from Tyneside to Sunderland involved carrying it over the Wear on the rebuilt rail deck. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Shame that never happened. I suppose if happens in the future it will be too late for the British built metrocar trains and will almost certainty be some foreign tramcar type thing

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Caledonian said:

The road deck continued in use although I imagine that the new bridge has drawn ff a lot of the traffic. One of the route options considered for extending the Metro system from Tyneside to Sunderland involved carrying it over the Wear on the rebuilt rail deck. 

The north end is demolished, leaving the viaduct/bridge looking very sad.

Phil

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, russ p said:

Shame that never happened. I suppose if happens in the future it will be too late for the British built metrocar trains and will almost certainty be some foreign tramcar type thing

They would have to do something like Sheffield when they extended again over the Midland Station for the Tram extension.

Couldn't really see if there was still railway space left on the north bank side where it was almost all light industrial and office units (where the footy Park and Ride operates from.)

P

• RMweb Premium

Queen Alexandra Bridge; found on google earth and now see what is what thanks. Had not quite twigged that the road was still in use; an impressive bit of engineering.

Phil

Sunderland.jpg

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1