Newbie question, 3-way point using pre-made frogs etc

GWR57xx

• RMweb Gold

I'm modelling in 7mm FS and would like to have a 3-way point for space saving.

I looked at Marcway and was tempted, but I think the lack of chair detail would niggle me.

So I'm coming round to the idea of building one but I don't have the confidence or experience to build from scratch.

I'd want to use pre-made frogs and wing rails, either Peco or C&L.

I've downloaded Templot and worked through the tutorial to create some templates for 3-way points, but I have no idea what the frog angle (for example) of the Peco individulay components is. Would I be restricted to (say) only making B6 turnouts with the Peco frog?

Can anyone recommend a "beginners" kit of parts to make a 3-way that would be compatible with Peco track?

I don't want to solder track to copperclad sleepers. I'd much prefer to glue chairs to either plastic or ply sleepers.

Sorry this is a bit rambling!

Its quite easy to find the angle of the crossings in Templot, simply left click over the Vee and press M (for make control) and in the information box (if not showing press F2) will show the angle. I doubt if you will find pre-made common crossings for all 3 (the first of the 3 crossings is normally a non standard angle), certainly no kits available to my knowledge. 

One option is to use copperclad timbers in the common crossing areas then use 1 mm copperclad or brass strip to raise the rail to match the chairs. Pre gap and fill the timbers first, clean up the joint to the side of the rails and add cosmetic half chairs

The second option is to solder up the Vees, fitting them to the timbers using chairs except for the tip of the vee, use 1 mm plasticard pieces to support the tip of the vee (for about 3 timbers) and superglue the tip to them. Form the wing rails and fit chairs, trimming them back where necessary to maintain the correct wing rail gauge gap and glue in place. I would only advise using plastic timbers owing to the strength of the bond required

• Thanks 1