All new RTR Class 91 and Mark 4 carriages

Grimleygrid

Great news, guys. Looking forward to watching developments on this. 

I think a rake in InterCity will be winging its way to Waverley West.

I must resist one in GNER livery though. I always thought it a very smart livery, one of the best privatisation liveries (not that that's saying much), but it really is outside my era. Must resist, must resist...

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There will be a dvt of course. How the logistics of selling the sets and how the different vehicles are available outside the set will be something that we bottom out over the coming months. At this stage we are working to get the model built and the liveries that we will produce.

Waverley West would look great with an intercity one. Did many run on to Glasgow back then?

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Wow, potentially a very expensive announcement for me :lol:

I would consider adding GNER & East Coast to the liveries produced. I understand the need to keep things simple with crowdfunding, but 4 liveries in total wouldn't be anywhere near as complex as the myraid of liveries proposed for the Revolution 321. 

For me personally I'd like to model the 2015-2016 era where the changeover from East Coast to Virgin took place, so I'd be looking at ordering a full rake in East Coast, a full rake in VTEC/LNER, then a mix of locos to haul both sets. I also think you'll get a lot of requests for the special liveries on 91110 and 91111, I'd probably be tempted by 110.

Edited by ash39

Good to see this as the mainstream players (cough Hornby) have been dragging on a new model, Hornby really missed the boat here in territory historically theirs! 

However while I am very sure this will only have the very best detail but I do fear how much this is going to cost versus that if say Hornby had produced it maybe at slightly lower detail granted (but not Railroad spec). Anyhow lets see.

I wonder how this might tempt Hornby (who dont seem afraid to ruffle the feathers right now) to respond in the next years if this ends up as a high priced/high detailed project (thinking MK2F case here)? Maybe a Railroad+ kind of new model or a significant tweaks of current model (NEM couplings/lights/better pantograph etc)? Or they just leave as now (basically a basic Railroad model).

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RBE said:

There will be a dvt of course. How the logistics of selling the sets and how the different vehicles are available outside the set will be something that we bottom out over the coming months. At this stage we are working to get the model built and the liveries that we will produce.

Waverley West would look great with an intercity one. Did many run on to Glasgow back then?

Yes, I think two workings a day were extended through to Glasgow Central via Carstairs as soon as that route was electrified.

I'll just have to imagine the catenary though, but that won't be a problem.

Oh dear, I think my wallet just fainted ................

Repeat after me: Not my era, not my area .... not my era, not my area ..........

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RBE said:

How the logistics of selling the sets and how the different vehicles are available outside the set will be something that we bottom out over the coming months

For what it's worth, I thought Dapol had a sensible approach with their most recent HST booksets. Include the one off coaches like the TGS and Buffet/Restaurant with the power cars, leaving people to add standard/first coaches as required. Perhaps something similar would work here with the TSOE & whatever designation the restaurant coach is these days?

Tom.  

• Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

No need. Just put a dummy HST power car in place of the DVT.

It'll be interesting to see the specification, particularly the N Gauge version. Will it be all singing and dancing like the Bachmann Mk2s (with a price tag to match), or something more simple (and afforable) like a Dapol Mk3?

Steven B.

John Dutfield LLP in Chelmsford, Essex will once again be supporting Cav and Alex sell these products through the shop. 

Whilst it is early days with prices and delivery dates TBC, any pre-orders through both Cavalex and ourselves will give a good indication of interest.

4 hours ago, RBE said:

Just my suggestion.....

Train Pack:
- Class 91
- Coach B Standard Class (non-gangway end)
- Coach H Standard Class/Kitchen
- DVT

Coach Pack 1:
- Coach C Standard Class
- Coach D Standard Class
- Coach K First Class

Coach Pack 2:
- Coach E Standard Class
- Coach F Standard Class
- Coach L First Class
- Coach M First Class

Sorry for any errors in classification, whatever information I got is from Wikipedia as I couldn't find a better source so soon.

Cheers!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Deltic said:

John Dutfield LLP in Chelmsford, Essex will once again be supporting Cav and Alex sell these products through the shop. 

Whilst it is early days with prices and delivery dates TBC, any pre-orders through both Cavalex and ourselves will give a good indication of interest.

What's the best way to pre-order?  PM on here or via email?

7 hours ago, 60800 said:

I think a very sensible decision regarding the 4mm version would be to plug ahead with the locomotive and DVT regardless of the viability of the Mk.4 stock. This is why; 

People already have Mk.4 stock, simple as that. People already have 91’s too, but when you look at the models, the Hornby Mk.4 is good shape wise, the roof detail is ok and the only major issue is the lack of skirts at the coach ends - you’d need an all singing and dancing Mk.4 to convince people to replace them as the existing model is ‘good enough’, in my eyes at least. The Hornby 91 is a dog. The shape is wrong, the details don’t match the current 91/1 designated locos, there’s no lights, no decent cab interior and the mechanism sounds like a knackered traction motor blower... 

My personal thoughts behind this and my reason for posting it is that I would like to have two rakes of Mk.4 stock (in LNER) but I wish to have four locos (05, 10, 11, 19) and don’t see enough wrong with the current Mk.4’s to not repaint them. Don’t get me wrong, I will want one full set from yourselves in LNER to go behind 91105, but i’m also more than happy to save money and upgrade / repaint my existing sets and put the money into the locos instead.

Others may think this way too, hence why I am saying please, if the coaching stock fails to be viable from pre-order numbers, still look at producing the loco and DVT regardless. 

Cheers,

1 hour ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Just my suggestion.....

Train Pack:
- Class 91
- Coach B Standard Class (non-gangway end) TSOE
- Coach H Standard Class/Kitchen
- DVT

Coach Pack 1:
- Coach C Standard Class
- Coach D Standard Class
- Coach K First Class

Coach Pack 2:
- Coach E Standard Class
- Coach F Standard Class
- Coach L First Class
- Coach M First Class

Sorry for any errors in classification, whatever information I got is from Wikipedia as I couldn't find a better source so soon.

Cheers!

The existing Hornby Mk4's are o.k.ish and are indeed of scale length/correct overall dimensions but are hardly the best.

For example lack of flush glazing, no bespoke interior for the catering vehicle and translucent roofs on the East Coast Trains 'Flying Scotsman' variants.

There is also the matter of the 'Mallard' refurbishment which resulted in some significant internal and external alterations particularly to the catering vehicle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting. I’ll wait to see prices  before making decision.  My fear is that there are lots of goodies to sign up for at moment .  Not so sure about crowdfunding . It is a hobby not an investment, but let’s see terms and conditions . 

• Like 1

Hi I think that we need to maybe clear up concerns regarding our business model currently. 

We do all of our design work in house so we do not take any money from people until at the mould cutting stage. At which point the model is going ahead. We then take 50% as a deposit and then a final 50% before delivery. No different to a pre-order service really. It just allows us to produce new products with minimal risk for every one involved.

We are happy to answer any questions and hopefully alleviate any concerns.

Regards

Cav 

Edited by RBE
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

As someone who ordered the original PGA wagon the whole process was very easy. I initially indicated how many models I wanted. When target was reached and the project was going ahead I received a request for 50% payment. Then towards the end of process the remaining 50% was requested. Updates were provided throughout the proces.

No connection just a happy customer.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Well done Cavalex!  Would'nt it be great if those who are interested in this development of Class 91/Mk 4s refrained from pointless speculation and uninformed criticism until full details are released? Then perhaps helpful and constructive comments to the manufacturers may be welcome.  

SWFRS.

• Agree 1

Hello Cavalex,

Unless I missed it above, is there an anticipated delivery date? Having just committed myself to a major purchase last week, I wouldn't have the funds at the moment for the 50% deposit :(. Need to save up a little first.

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, sirwilliamfrs said:

Well done Cavalex!  Would'nt it be great if those who are interested in this development of Class 91/Mk 4s refrained from pointless speculation and uninformed criticism until full details are released? Then perhaps helpful and constructive comments to the manufacturers may be welcome.  

SWFRS.

Where is this? 

Just a request for more information .  How much , what’s on offer  and when are we expecting it to arrive ?  Then I’ll make a decision on it .

• Like 2