All new RTR Class 91 and Mark 4 carriages

Grimleygrid

• RMweb Premium
On ‎04‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 02:49, JaymzHatstand said:

Ooooo! Colour me intrigued! I've still got my 1992 Hornby version in its box (it's had plenty of use though) and have been considering updating it, now it can stay as it is for nostalgia!

50869309_IMAG54022.jpg.039936f2feb9e2afc4d5421f8d24a3b5.jpg

Very much looking forward to seeing this develop, and hopefully joining my collection eventually! I'm presuming that in the fullness of time, and licenses permitting, we'll see more liveries including maybe the commemorative ones. 

Cheers

J

I'll see your Hornby one (I also still have the model I got as a Christmas present when they came out) and raise you!

This is part of my collection, built by the late Andy Elliot and purchased by me from his collection after his death, classic MTK with a Lima class 87 mechanism, kept for sentimental purposes, it would be interesting to see if there are any others out there??

437638501_MTK91.jpg.e59ecf21bb1a1355a9c6340ab591f086.jpg

I'll definitely be looking at the new model, I started on the railway in early 1992 when these were still new on the ECML, used to make use of my passes every couple of months to get to London on daytrips from Falkirk, 06:30 from Edinburgh which got into KX around 10:30 then either the 16:30 or 17:00 back home, great days!

Edited by Craig Watson
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RBE said:

The one in the picture.

Which livery are you interested in C6T?

I'm speculating at the moment Cav whether I would actually commit to purchase. I'm kinda hoping you don't do my must have, purely on the basis I haven't the funds right now!

If money were no object, I'd have a last knockings Inter-City and early years GNER (stainless steel light surrounds on both obv's). Certainly wouldn't be interested in red door coaches. As I said GNER is an easy livery to state, the nuts n bolts of timestamp differences is rather harder to pin down.

C6T. 

8 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

I'm speculating at the moment Cav whether I would actually commit to purchase. I'm kinda hoping you don't do my must have, purely on the basis I haven't the funds right now!

If money were no object, I'd have a last knockings Inter-City and early years GNER (stainless steel light surrounds on both obv's). Certainly wouldn't be interested in red door coaches. As I said GNER is an easy livery to state, the nuts n bolts of timestamp differences is rather harder to pin down.

C6T. 

Fair enough bud. I suggested the red door one strictly through personal taste, I like the way the red breaks up the blue, however I'm strictly an intercity man as you all know!!

Regards

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RBE said:

Fair enough bud. I suggested the red door one strictly through personal taste, I like the way the red breaks up the blue, however I'm strictly an intercity man as you all know!!

Regards

that's a hard one to Swallow.....

Have to admit though, they never looked better than they did in that 1991 livery.  Wore it better than APT-P

Edited by Bob Reid
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Bob Reid said:

that's a hard one to Swallow.....

Have to admit though, they never looked better than they did in that 1991 livery.  Wore it better than APT-P

Got to agree, as a 16 year old starting out on my own railway career at the same time as they were pretty much brand new it was all really exciting seeing them at the Waverley when all we seen on the job at Greenhill then was 15x after 15x, and we got to ride behind/in front of them for free.

• Like 1

I loved the fact platform ending at Peterborough I could see the cardan shafts to the axles and at a lower angle, the body mounted traction motors and brake discs at the free end. As someone appreciative of engineering, I found that as fascinating as steam locomotives motion.

C6T. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Grimleygrid said:

First of all may we take this opportunity to thank everyone for their interest and feedback on our Class 91 and Mark 4 project, it is much appreciated.

We are excited to announce that we will be adding GNER to our list of proposed liveries for our 4mm and 2mm Class 91 and MK4 sets.

91011HambletonJcn_110902_NeilHarvey.jpg.d0cf1fd9373b2833ce7a0753057fa463.jpg

Photo courtesy Neil Harvey

They are not the most handsome of locos but I must admit that shot in GNER livery really does something for me and smacks of pure nostalgia (if something from so recently can do so!). I do like them in Intercity colours but it was in GNER blue that I did most of my travelling backwards and forwards along the ECML. I think the 225 really suits those colours. Good choice! :good_mini:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, south_tyne said:

They are not the most handsome of locos but I must admit that shot in GNER livery really does something for me and smacks of pure nostalgia (if something from so recently can do so!). I do like them in Intercity colours but it was in GNER blue that I did most of my travelling backwards and forwards along the ECML. I think the 225 really suits those colours. Good choice! :good_mini:

I always thought that the GNER livery was very striking, especially when they had the gold lettering and put the cast crests on the coach sides instead of the transfers.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I always thought that the GNER livery was very striking, especially when they had the gold lettering and put the cast crests on the coach sides instead of the transfers.

I'm by far an expert but did the Mk4 ever have the cast crests? I thought they were right on the limit of gauge so there wasn't room unlike the Mk3s?

Morning chaps!

Excellent announcemennt and very exciting. I'll be ordering a set or two. Also, they would look great with a MK3 rake and my Intercity liveried HST DVT.

For those of you who are talking about alternative rakes. Here is a selection of videos of them on test in and around Grantham.

Incidentally, this guys channel is well worth watching as he has loads of videos of the ECML in and around Grantham mid 80's onwards.

Good luck with the project!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I'm by far an expert but did the Mk4 ever have the cast crests? I thought they were right on the limit of gauge so there wasn't room unlike the Mk3s?

Mk4s are 2730mm wide at the waist, maximum body width allowed in the loading gauge is 2946mm approx so a bit of clearance.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, cornish trains jez said:

Morning chaps!

Excellent announcemennt and very exciting. I'll be ordering a set or two. Also, they would look great with a MK3 rake and my Intercity liveried HST DVT.

For those of you who are talking about alternative rakes. Here is a selection of videos of them on test in and around Grantham.

Incidentally, this guys channel is well worth watching as he has loads of videos of the ECML in and around Grantham mid 80's onwards.

Good luck with the project!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Proper times those. Sad they are over. :(

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, south_tyne said:

When somebody says that the GNER livery smacks of "pure nostalgia" it makes me feel really old...…..being a "from the start" Inter-City man.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

if its been mentioned before apologies in advance but what is the level of coach interior detail, tint level to the glazing to mimic the real stock, table lamps and overhead interior lighting to all areas (like the Bachmann DCC Mk2fs) or the option for DCC and non DCC?  

Are rm webbers bothered about having such features on this model?

I assume a good close coupling set up will be de riguer.....

• Like 1

We are looking at a highly detailed interior with lighting but of course that depends on cost v desirability. Do people want to pay the extra for that? 

We have a close coupling solution in hand.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, RBE said:

We are looking at a highly detailed interior with lighting but of course that depends on cost v desirability. Do people want to pay the extra for that? 

We have a close coupling solution in hand.

Personally I'd prefer basic interior with the interior moulding matching the colour of the prototype and a basic light bar.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Definitely lighting for me! And a reasonably detailed interior if possible.

They wouldn't need all singing and dancing functions like the Bachmann Mk 2f's. A simple on/off switch would suffice, but after my experiences with the Bachmann Mk 2f's (with a little flickering with dirty wheels and track), I think a capacitor on the light bar is essential. 

I'm happy to detail the interiors by painting seats/tables and adding passengers, etc., but I don't really want to faff about fitting lights too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1