All new RTR Class 91 and Mark 4 carriages

Grimleygrid

• RMweb Gold

Yep, and it was that tilt proposal that led to the Mk4 profile, one that I have never decided if I like or not. 

That livery though - it was so fresh when launched and now looks so retro, particularly as an artist impression! I guess we have all got so used to the plethora of post privatisation liveries. 

Roy

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Just gone to register an interest and the page has gone.  Has it been removed, or have the IT fairies been playing in the night! :)  

Rich

This one: https://www.cavalexmodels.com/class-91-expression-of-interest-form

Edit: which works for me.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Appreciate it's still very early days, and price etc will have to wait until you get quotes for the design, but has any further thought been given to how to how the locos/coaches/DVTs will be split up for ordering?

I think the way it's executed could have a big bearing on the success of the project. 

For example, I don't expect this would be the case, but if the only option was to buy a full 9 coach set in a chosen livery, I'd personally probably order 2x Virgin/LNER and that'd be all.

If there was the option to buy separate locos/DVTs, I'd probably end up with 4/5 Class 91's, 2 sets of stock and 3 DVT's.

Any additional locos in one off liveries would no doubt tempt many people too, even as rule 1 purchases. 91110 and 91111 being obvious candidates

Edited by ash39

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, ash39 said:

Appreciate it's still very early days, and price etc will have to wait until you get quotes for the design, but has any further thought been given to how to how the locos/coaches/DVTs will be split up for ordering?

I think the way it's executed could have a big bearing on the success of the project. 

For example, I don't expect this would be the case, but if the only option was to buy a full 9 coach set in a chosen livery, I'd personally probably order 2x Virgin/LNER and that'd be all.

If there was the option to buy separate locos/DVTs, I'd probably end up with 4/5 Class 91's, 2 sets of stock and 3 DVT's.

Any additional locos in one off liveries would no doubt tempt many people too, even as rule 1 purchases. 91110 and 91111 being obvious candidates

I think the various options and indications of price are shown in the expressions of interest form . But it looks like you can order individually locos and coaches or go for some coach sets . 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Legend said:

I think the various options and indications of price are shown in the expressions of interest form . But it looks like you can order individually locos and coaches or go for some coach sets . 

Yes we will be offering locos and dvts seperately.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, virginhst539 said:

looking forward to the new model as the old one was well overdue an upgrade. as for prototype 91108 will official be retired after working 1S28 1800 Kings Cross to Edinburgh tonight

91108 Should be being retired tomorrow, not tonight. So that it ends up at Bounds.

There was some confusion caused by LNER's Twitter post implying today.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Wild Boar Fell said:

91108 Should be being retired tomorrow, not tonight. So that it ends up at Bounds.

There was some confusion caused by LNER's Twitter post implying today.

Just seen at Peterborough and it seemed to be in fine fettle.  Makes sense to retire it tomorrow when it’s back at Bounds Green.  Is the component recovery going to be done at BN or Wabtec in Doncaster?

On 08/07/2019 at 19:55, ash39 said:

I agree. I'm not going to replace my Hornby IC225 as it has sentimental value, being my first train set. But I'd probably buy a OO model of 91110 in its Battle Of Britain livery if it was produced to a reasonable standard and not excessively expensive.

1 hour ago, Rhydgaled said:

I agree. I'm not going to replace my Hornby IC225 as it has sentimental value, being my first train set. But I'd probably buy a OO model of 91110 in its Battle Of Britain livery if it was produced to a reasonable standard and not excessively expensive.

We are offering Locos seperately.

As for standard and price. The standard will be very high, like our wagon range however with that comes a cost.

Pricing is very subjective. One persons small change is anothers life savings so to speak. I for one find all rolling stock expensive these days however being on the other side of the fence I now understand that you simply cannot get anything made cheaply nowadays with the quality required and small production runs that the hobby now has to work with.

The loco will be in line with current pricing from the other manufacturers.

Regards

Cav

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

On 25/07/2019 at 23:43, adb968008 said:

91108 is still alive and kicking tonight in the bay at Doncaster.. powered on, pantograph up.

On Standby incase things get too hot.

It got shoved onto a Mk4 set at Donny and sent to York to cover for a failed 91. Ended up working York - Kings Cross - Newcastle and then ended up at Bounds Green the day after. Last run eh? :blink:

Hi John,

No we do not send out confirmations for the expressions of interest. At this stage it is a tool for us to assess the potential sales for each option.

Once we open our pre-orders, which will be soon, we will send out confirmations to anyone that orders.

Regards

Cav

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, JackB95 said:

It got shoved onto a Mk4 set at Donny and sent to York to cover for a failed 91. Ended up working York - Kings Cross - Newcastle and then ended up at Bounds Green the day after. Last run eh? :blink:

Went upto Leeds too, via Edinburgh.

kind of makes you wonder if scrapping it so soon makes sense.

91108 - when is a withdrawn loco not a withdrawn loco - when it's withdrawal was a marketing stunt to tell people the Azumas are here.

Joe public won't realise it's still in use, just us.

Is there a mileage limit by which the G exam must be undertaken, they can't wait for it to fail if they have to return it in full working order like a lease car.

On 02/08/2019 at 22:13, ash39 said:

91108 is withdrawn. It was handed back to the leasing company by LNER on 31st July.

It's currently sat in Doncaster West Yard - pantograph down. Most likely forever...

Indeed, there was a list going around last week of two 91s that various parts of 108 were destined for, hence it's moving to Wabtec's Doncaster works.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/08/2019 at 12:32, Darlington South Junction said:

My only request for this project is that you add a little Jeremy Corbyn sitting on the floor in one of the VTEC coaches! :D

He would have to be removable so he could be out at the first station, then in at the second, then back out at the third!

• Funny 1