All new RTR Class 91 and Mark 4 carriages

Grimleygrid

Hi all. I feel that hearsay has reared its head again.

At this point we have not decided on how the coaching stock will be sold as yet.

Our latest thoughts are that the dvt, buffet and TSOE would be sold as a set, as each train would need one each of these, then the TSOs and TFOs would be available seperately with enough differing running numbers of each to form a full rake if necessary. Of course that way you can build up a rake of any length that you require.

As mentioned previously we will be issuing an update on project 225 this weekend.

Regards

Cav

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 6

On 15/01/2020 at 22:20, RBE said:

Hi all. I feel that hearsay has reared its head again.

At this point we have not decided on how the coaching stock will be sold as yet.

Our latest thoughts are that the dvt, buffet and TSOE would be sold as a set, as each train would need one each of these, then the TSOs and TFOs would be available seperately with enough differing running numbers of each to form a full rake if necessary. Of course that way you can build up a rake of any length that you require.

As mentioned previously we will be issuing an update on project 225 this weekend.

Regards

Cav

Looking forward to the update; I also think your approach to the coaches is spot on.

I’m hoping there will be info on how to order the ‘Flying Scotsman’ LNER loco & dvt - that is the one I’m waiting to preorder!

All the best

cwam

• Agree 1

Has anyone asked this yet on here, I had a look and couldnt see?

Will the loco and DVT have some form of hidden/exposed NEM pocket at the sharp end to allow drags/blunt end operation?

For those not on DCC will the loco have sensibly switchable lights (more akin to the Bachmann 90 implementation than the Hornby 87!!).

Edited by sanspareil
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, sanspareil said:

Has anyone asked this yet on here, I had a look and couldnt see?

Will the loco and DVT have some form of hidden/exposed NEM pocket at the sharp end to allow drags/blunt end operation?

For those not on DCC will the loco have sensibly switchable lights (more akin to the Bachmann 90 implementation than the Hornby 87!!).

I think Hornby have certainly gone about it the wrong way - they have a hole cut into the valance of the loco.

I'd prefer something like a swinging bar arrangement that clips onto the bogie or the underframe behind the valance and goes underneath it - one type for CL91 to DVT connection and another with an NEM pocket on one end for cl67 drags.

Cheers,

Edited by 60800

I just received the news by e-mail that Cavalex are sadly no longer producing their 4mm Class 91 (2mm still being produced). Are you still considering the Mk4 coaches and DVT in OO gauge?

Edited by BR(S)
  • Thanks 2

Very sad news that.  I just don't trust Hornby to produce the best version of anything!   I agree it is not clear in the email whether they will still produce the coaches or DVT.  They did say that they were still considering the N gauge version though.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m sorry to hear that but I think from your point of view with Hornby’s intervention it would have been a risk too far .

It does, however, put us in the position that we have to rely on Hornby for an accurate model and there are no signs of mk4s . While generally a Hornby supporter this is leaving a bitter taste . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Very sad news indeed, but probably inevitable given Hornby's decision.

However, it was far from being a pointless exercise - no doubt it was the Cavalex 91 that prompted Hornby to update theirs.  Also, N gauge users will still get what is likely to be a fantastic model.

Well done Cav and Alex, and all the best!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes I'm annoyed about this - I'll be honest I wasn't going to buy one from either of the two manufacturers but I've no doubt that the far superior option has now been taken away from the market and fans of the Class 91 - Thanks Hornby ........

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, classy52 said:

This has left a very sour taste thus will now be left with more than likely a lesser model with an 8 Pin decoder socket, crap lighting functions and so so detailing...change my mind!

Not to mention there are no mk4s to go with it . Cavalex was doing whole train. Hornby as usual have just smiled and said maybe yes maybe no . So we are definitely one step back  this evening .  If Hornby want to divert some ire they could at least say we will look at it for 2021

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Legend said:

Not to mention there are no mk4s to go with it . Cavalex was doing whole train. Hornby as usual have just smiled and said maybe yes maybe no . So we are definitely one step back  this evening .  If Hornby want to divert some ire they could at least say we will look at it for 2021

Too be honest Hornby can have it, I won't be touching their Class 91 project with a barge pole regardless what they churn out so yeah good luck to those who end up buying it.

Edited by classy52
grammar correction
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Whilst I wasn't in the market for a 91, it is disappointing news. Regardless of whether Hornby's action was reactive or not they have got what they want and will just encourage them to do it again. But I mentioned on another thread earlier about not thinking the marketplace was big enough for two good 91s (and it would seem Cavalex agree). I am just hazarding a guess one of the companies involved could potentially afford to run the project as a loss to cut the nose of a company who probably couldn't if both went ahead.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Too be honest Hornby can have it, I won't be touching their Class 91 project with a barge pole regardless what they churn out so yeah good luck to those who end buying it.

I wouldn't reward them with sales after crushing the opposition

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Disappointing news.

It’s tricky with a 91 in that they only work with Mark 4’s (other than L/E obv) and have never been freight locos. For me there seems little point in me purchasing a Hornby 91 with no MK4s and DVT as Cavalex were to produce.

You have conducted yourselves perfectly gents and I feel very sorry for you. I wish you well for future projects and hopefully some that I will be able to support.

Chris

• Like 4