All new RTR Class 91 and Mark 4 carriages

Grimleygrid

15 hours ago, RBE said:

Feel free to wish list!

Anything modern.

Class 175, 180, 185, 195, 222 - I'm a diesel person but would certainly buy a 332/333 if it was around.

I also am interested as you said until you'd got a lot of CAD work ready, you didn't announce anything.

I appreciate that as I'm not a fan of companies that come out with a drawing only.  Need something more juicy in this day and age.

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, RBE said:

Feel free to wish list!

Go on then, I’ll bite!

A nice heavy diecast YMA Salmon / YKA Osprey would be lovely and have a great appeal covering pretty well the entire network and still in use today (or certainly up till recently) from as far back as the 50s in their earliest guises, I can’t think of any other rolling stock spanning such a broad timeframe. And most people could find a reason to run an engineers train, long or short. Cambrian do a fine kit, but it’s a little too lightweight for me, and no real place to hide weights on an empty load.

FWIW, I was never in the market for a 91, but as a businessman can well understand where you guys stand with your decision as your business is still in its infancy, it’s perfectly understandable to reduce risk. I have no particular axe to grind over Hornby’s recent announcement of theirs as I don’t know the facts, so don’t know how long it’s been in the pipeline internally for them, or how far back progress goes, but do feel for you over the unfortunate timing of it.

On the face of it you have a fantastic business model, and rightfully a fantastic support, you’ve given confidence to the crowdfunding concept in this industry right when it was needed, and I wish you ever success, which I’m sure you will duly achieve.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

42 minutes ago, Foden said:

Go on then, I’ll bite!

A nice heavy diecast YMA Salmon / YKA Osprey would be lovely and have a great appeal covering pretty well the entire network and still in use today (or certainly up till recently) from as far back as the 50s in their earliest guises, I can’t think of any other rolling stock spanning such a broad timeframe. And most people could find a reason to run an engineers train, long or short. Cambrian do a fine kit, but it’s a little too lightweight for me, and no real place to hide weights on an empty load.

29 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I'd probably be able to find an excuse to buy some YMAs or YKAs

These are currently being progressed by Footplate models, think they are doing some adjustments to the tooling.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, RBE said:

Feel free to wish list!

A big gap as MGR Hooper has said is an 80s to date EMU   313/314/315/507/508  or 317/318/455 in OO gauge .  Not on any manufacturers lists at moment .  If anyone was going to do it I would have bet on Accurascale or yourselves . I think it would be too expensive if it was Bachmann , who in any case still seem to have production capacity issues , and I just don't see Hornby into AC EMUS  

Edited by Legend

11 minutes ago, Legend said:

A big gap as MGR Hooper has said is an 80s to date EMU   313/314/315/507/508  or 317/318/455 in OO gauge .  Not on any manufacturers lists at moment .  If anyone was going to do it I would have bet on Accurascale or yourselves . I think it would be too expensive if it was Bachmann , who in any case still seem to have production capacity issues , and I just don't see Hornby into AC EMUS  

Is there also similarity between the 317/318/455 and 319 and 320/321/322 families? obviously the ends are different, but the bulk of the bodysides look very similar with a few differing window sizes at the ends. Could clever tooling from one lead nicely onto the next and there is a good geographical spread there too

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GordonC said:

Is there also similarity between the 317/318/455 and 319 and 320/321/322 families? obviously the ends are different, but the bulk of the bodysides look very similar with a few differing window sizes at the ends. Could clever tooling from one lead nicely onto the next and there is a good geographical spread there too

Anything around a 319 would be another potential collision in the making.

Bachmann are doing the 319 in N, it will end up in 00 and with Bachmann now running silent and deep on new toolings it could surface in any quarter rather like a 91.

With more manufacturers and less volume selling models to go at I think it is getting harder to find something that won't be up for a challenge from another manufacturer.

If though you're looking for something with a motor in it to make, why not look to the West Coast and do something in the 81-84 classes - with the 87 from Hornby and the earlier 86 coming from Heljan you'd like to think those modelling the 60s and early 70s might like to add some of the other electrics into the mix on their layouts.

• Agree 1

@RBE just an idea, could you possible press ahead with the mk4 and DVT to beat Hornby to the market and possibly gain the capital to make models wirthout the deposit funding? yes we're getting a Hornby class 91 but we're not getting the stock to go with it!

I'm not expecting a reply just wanted to voice my idea.

Edited by Adamphillip

35 minutes ago, 87023Velocity said:

With regards to the 313 and 314, I would not be suprised if Revolution did not consider doing a 4mm version once the 2mm one is completed, as per what they have done with some of their freight stock.

Cheers

Simon

Or Accurascale do it as they seem to do a lot of CAD sharing with Revolution?

I would expect 4mm CAD to be the better starting position though unless they have a "master" full size model with details which are then removed when scaling down from the real thing. I don't know where they start with CADs, whether they model the prototype in as much detail as they can and then remove stuff which cannot be done at the size of the model or whether they start at the model size so don't put it in to begin with.

I’m still hoping someone someday will release a 123/124 Trans Pennine unit and a 120 would be nice

an 01 shunter would be good but I suppose it's a bit too niche... I would say an 06 but knowing Hornby they would claim that as their own too!

But to be honest as long as your next choice is diesel or electric I'll be supporting you :D

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

These are currently being progressed by Footplate models, think they are doing some adjustments to the tooling.

Cheers

Simon

Apologies Simon, I’d not noticed these latest announcements.

I’d feared this project was dead in the water after a long period of time!

I thought you had massive balls for taking on a class 91 + mk4s when previously I was only aware of wagons. The 91 didn't suit my layout, which is WCML based, although the day before the announcement I dropped an order for an early 91 figuring I could run it on test trains/commissioning/original light-loco run from Crewe to Bounds Green. I'm sad that it hasn't worked out for you.

Now onto wishlisting, it's already been mentioned but how about a 317? It's had a long life, has been on many regions (ok only relatively short-lived on WCML but it fits within my era), and I don't think anyone else is doing it RTR in any scale -- i hold out hope that maybe the 319/320/321 'N' gauge from various manufacturers may make it into OO.

If i'm honest what I really hanker after is a 304 or 310, but think the 317 might reach a wider audience; I appreciate this would still be a giant leap of faith.

*Edit* alternatively what about some infrastructure, still crying out for decent "RTR" OHLE, which would help make a market for future models.

Edited by sorabain
last minute thought
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Anything around a 319 would be another potential collision in the making.

Bachmann are doing the 319 in N, it will end up in 00 and with Bachmann now running silent and deep on new toolings it could surface in any quarter rather like a 91.

With more manufacturers and less volume selling models to go at I think it is getting harder to find something that won't be up for a challenge from another manufacturer.

If though you're looking for something with a motor in it to make, why not look to the West Coast and do something in the 81-84 classes - with the 87 from Hornby and the earlier 86 coming from Heljan you'd like to think those modelling the 60s and early 70s might like to add some of the other electrics into the mix on their layouts.

True about the 319 and it was more of an afterthought to me initially after starting with 317,318 and 320-322, but it depends on how tenuous links are to be made between similar things - does having Class 150 sprinter bodyshells give Bachmann a good start towards those and 325 EMUs?

does having an 85 possibly put Bachmann in the driving seat for an 81, the cab shape is pretty similar although shorter and different underframe.

Classes 82-84 may be more suited to Cavalex than volume manufacturers if they're more of less produced to order and getting firm commitments up front for sales quantities (with purchasers also having the benefit of knowing they'd make a good job of it - which cannot be said of Hornby!). I could be way off here, but I got the impression Cavalex were more current day modellers than 1960s to 1980s so I dont know if that could put a sway on which prototypes they'd look at.

• RMweb Premium

I'd love to see proof of the numerous comments that Hornby have deliberately "spoilt" Cavalex's class 91.

The Cavalex project was anounced in March 2019. Given that Hornby are currently listing a December 2020 release date I would imagine that Hornby had their new model planned before Cavalex's was anounced.

Steven B.

• Agree 7

I generally model late 80s early 90s Gordon but Cavalex isn't about making model for us to run. Its about the modelling community in general and if they want 60s to 80s stuff we'll happily do them.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Steven B said:

The Cavalex project was anounced in March 2019. Given that Hornby are currently listing a December 2020 release date I would imagine that Hornby had their new model planned before Cavalex's was announced.

Agreed, and as stated earlier. As is so often the case, however, small breaths of common sense are drowned out by the howling gale of indignation.

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that Hornby have a number of projects that are being worked on  at any one time . Some see the light of day, others don't .  If you look at their old book of trains (1979) it shows a Snowdon Mountain Railway train and a TEE unit . I think V2s , N7s Claytons have been mentioned in Pat Hammonds books . The J36 was first proposed in 1980. All got to proving models but were not continued. We know from Hornby that the 91 was first looked at in 2016. But there is a big difference between looking at it and advancing to become a production model . My thoughts are that in March/April 2019 Hornby had a go/ no go decision to make and they decided to defend their turf and advance the 91 so that it would be included in the 2020 range.  The lack of mk4s is possibly because they were waiting to see the reaction without going to the expense of tooling up a new range of coaches . whether they will now do this , or bring out their old coaches to match remains to be seen.  

Would you like to take a bet on the 91 appearing in 2020?

Edited by Legend
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Legend said:

I suspect that Hornby have a number of projects that are being worked on  at any one time . Some see the light of day, others don't .  If you look at their old book of trains (1979) it shows a Snowdon Mountain Railway train and a TEE unit . I think V2s , N7s Claytons have been mentioned in Pat Hammonds books . The J36 was first proposed in 1980. All got to proving models but were not continued. We know from Hornby that the 91 was first looked at in 2016. But there is a big difference between looking at it and advancing to become a production model . My thoughts are that in March/April 2019 Hornby had a go/ no go decision to make and they decided to defend their turf and advance the 91 so that it would be included in the 2020 range.  The lack of mk4s is possibly because they were waiting to see the reaction without going to the expense of tooling up a new range of coaches . whether they will now do this , or bring out their old coaches to match remains to be seen.  

Would you like to take a bet on the 91 appearing in 2020?

I suspect they might have been short on design or production slots time to produce both a 91 and Mk4s so they decided to concentrate on the loco itself in 2020.

But I wouldn't expect to see it in 2020, if they're still on 3D prints rather than tweaking an EP

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

19 hours ago, KDG said:

How about IHA (Sfhimmns) bogie curtain steel wagons, or an up to date warwell wagon with warrior cradle etc?

Love the BBA's.

Really think the IHA would be a massive seller. One of the last steel carrying wagons that hasn't been produced. Been around years and still running today!

• Agree 2