Kernow commission Heljan to do 83301 and 33117

BR(S)

20 hours ago, Kelly said:

It doesn't need a motor bogie though as it was effectively a coach with the 73 providing power with a 4TC set.

Hello Kelly

You are of course correct  But I thought I would post the above as a point of interest or Help  especially for :-

A - people who are working on or to a strict budget and are maybe using an old lima Class 33 and 73 to model this train using their own method of producing the 4-TC

B - People who may have splashed out on the Kernow/Bachmann 4-TC and are using existing models to make the Class 33 and 73.

Occasionally Heljan Class 33 bodies can be picked upon e-bay and perhaps making your own chassis for this would work along with spare sideframes  and fueltanks from Howes. The old Hornby (ex - Lima) Class 67 Motor inc Flywheels, bogie towers, wheelsets & driveshafts (athough they would need shortening so maybe a universal drive shaft from Branchlines would be a better option) are available quite cheap so getting rid of an old pancake Motor and improving  the running and capability of the train itself. 

They also get to produce something themselves an improve their Modelling skills at the same time.

Cheers Trailrage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lyddrail said:

I am confused too, I can't find any other pics with added D number. Can't have been applied for very long.

Cheers.

Yep, but I think we can see the D number scrubbed off in the June pick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Hello Kelly

You are of course correct  But I thought I would post the above as a point of interest or Help  especially for :-

A - people who are working on or to a strict budget and are maybe using an old lima Class 33 and 73 to model this train using their own method of producing the 4-TC

B - People who may have splashed out on the Kernow/Bachmann 4-TC and are using existing models to make the Class 33 and 73.

Occasionally Heljan Class 33 bodies can be picked upon e-bay and perhaps making your own chassis for this would work along with spare sideframes  and fueltanks from Howes. The old Hornby (ex - Lima) Class 67 Motor inc Flywheels, bogie towers, wheelsets & driveshafts (athough they would need shortening so maybe a universal drive shaft from Branchlines would be a better option) are available quite cheap so getting rid of an old pancake Motor and improving  the running and capability of the train itself. 

They also get to produce something themselves an improve their Modelling skills at the same time.

Cheers Trailrage

If budget was an issue, Maybe consider a Lima class 20 motor / bogie towers. Rock solid, quiet and pulls the house down. It could be fitted into a Lima class 33 chassis with a little effort effort.  You can’t get much cheaper than an old 33/26/27 Lima chassis out there, <£10 sometimes, the Lima 20 goes around £20. The Lima 20 even comes with a plastic cradle you can use to screw into your other choice of chassis.

i recently bought a whole bunch of CD Rom drive motors from China for a £1 each, and Scalextrix worm gears to replace my Lima pancakes, an all in £1.50 solution too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I am curious about 33117.

In January 1988 she was used with a 4-TC to do shuttle service through Strood and Higham tunnels after flooding there prevented the 3rd rail stock from being used. Here is a link to the pick and she does not have the white picked out irons nor buffers.

33117 at Rochester

Kernow's Image from March 1988

Class 33/1 Diesel Locomotive number 33 117 departs Salisbury with the 1225 Exeter St Davids to London Waterloo. 6th March 1988

Then in June seen at Orpinton. Still with picked out lamp irons and buffers but no D number on the side (and still pretty dirty as January's pick)

Orpington 1988

What is surprising is that between January and March she got white painted rims on the buffers, picked out lamp irons and a D number yet is still as dirty as January's pick. By June the D number had gone.

I wonder why what the reason was for this particular treatment with no evidence of a full repaint....

If you click on the lower picture (flickr) and zoom to max resolution, the D numbers outline is clearly visible. perhaps the paint used for those numbers was soluable paint or an after thought unofficial paint application that just wasn’t durable.

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

If you click on the lower picture (flickr) and zoom to max resolution, the D numbers outline is clearly visible. perhaps the paint used for those numbers was soluable paint or an after thought unofficial paint application that just wasn’t durable.

Indeed, we can see that it has all but disappeared in June. Personally I'm wondering why the loco got it and the white around the buffers and lamp irons. There is no evidence of a full repaint of the loco between January and March.

The only thing left to my mind is that maybe the "controler" between Strood and Higham had a personaility similar to the one on Sodor "33117, your work in keeping the service open between Strood and Higham in the flooded tunnels has been most impressive. As a reward for being such a really useful engine, I will give you back your old pre-tops number and brand new white paint on your lamp irons and around the rims of your buffers. People will then know that you are a really splendid class 33/1".  

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Kind of a long shot, but March 1988 was when 319 / 442s were being delivered and were high profile, culmulating in an openday at Bournemouth in March.

i can see 33117 wasnt there, but other 33/1s were, including 33110, which has also acquired nice white buffers at this time. 33114 also got D numbers before it went NSE and was bulled up in BR blue.

i know it doesnt help, but I modelled my Lima 33/1 in this condition, picked out with white wheel trims, number 33114 / 6532 and 33108 6521 also with a D number. I have a 33105 with white cabs.

My modelling at this time was influenced heavily by BR opendays, and service changes (read end of an era), in 1988 the SR had more opendays than usual (Bournemouth, Woking, Portmouth, Stewarts lane) as Weymouth electrification was completed, I would have either seen it, or read it in Rail to have modelled them.

could it be just an unofficial clean up exercise associated to one of the opendays or typical “end of service” last breath polish ups by enthusiastic staff armed with a paint tin associated with Weymouth electrification being completed and end of 33/1 services.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

On 06/03/2019 at 08:03, adb968008 said:

In many ways it would be nice if Kernow commissioned 73205 at the same time, and request a paint match...

Dapol and colour matching, now that will be the day!!

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:03, adb968008 said:

In many ways it would be nice if Kernow commissioned 73205 at the same time, and request a paint match...

Colour matching aside, we would also need to sincerely hope that the murky waters between them from several years ago had finally passed under the birdge too. 

• 11 months later...

Picked up my 33117 yesterday. Very nice model, but I can't help but wonder why they chose such a short-lived appearance. There are however a few things that bug me. First of all, I wasn't expecting the buffer beam details to be glued in place from the factory. The lack of interchangeable head codes was a bit disappointing, as was the lack of a red tail light. Oh well, I guess you can't have everything.

90010301_3086156811404606_5185372337821712384_o.jpg