A weekend away in China - 2335 miles in 13.5 hours

Allegheny1600

52 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

….and continue to pay for through our choice and now dependence, on buying from China.

As well as an increasing need for Chinese finance throughout the west.

Except that, for various reasons we no longer have a choice.

Personally, I would rather pay a little more to buy products from other countries.

2 hours ago, SamThomas said:

Except that, for various reasons we no longer have a choice.

Personally, I would rather pay a little more to buy products from other countries.

I did say choice and now dependance, Sam.

We (the west) have dug a hole that could be very difficult to get out of.

Let's face it, their economic and technological power is still on the ascendancy with no sign of it abating and their growing military power is significant.

• Agree 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

There is now quite a lot of interest in Chinese models and standards tend to be extremely high. There are some brass models which are beautifully done but the more mainstream plastic and diecast models are also superbly done. They seem hard to source in Europe but there are vendors online who ship from Asia worldwide. However, prices are high, it might seem strange given many people in the Western world seem to assume China is a backwards and poor country (it isn't) but prices for Chinese model trains tend to be higher than UK OO. However, they are superbly done.

I must admit, I do have some nostalgia for the old Chinese railway. Many years ago in the early 90's I spent a lot of time travelling around by train, it was at the early stage of their opening up and modernization and at that time you didn't need to go very far from the Bund in Shanghai before it really did all feel very alien. For me that was part of the charm, it was a completely different experience and I found that although people would stare at me a lot as a white person they were invariably welcoming and went out of their way to help if they thought I needed it. Their high speed system is outstanding. I should look out my slides from the old days and digitize them if they haven't deteriorated.

• Like 2

On 08/07/2022 at 05:31, jjb1970 said:

I must admit, I do have some nostalgia for the old Chinese railway. Many years ago in the early 90's I spent a lot of time travelling around by train, it was at the early stage of their opening up and modernization and at that time you didn't need to go very far from the Bund in Shanghai before it really did all feel very alien. For me that was part of the charm, it was a completely different experience.

Yes, I agree totally. This was 1996 in minus 20 degrees and a real double-headed 2-10-2 train doing an honest day's work. I regret to say that an afternoon on one of our heritage railways didn't have the same appeal.

1175768065_EPSON006(2).JPG.0160d2abb9277168f0558e4563120d5d.JPG

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Wonderful!!

One of the things many don't realise is just what a diverse country China is, in terms of scenery, climate, people, culture, food and language. It really is a wonderful country to travel around.

To get a flavour I recommend people with Netflix watch a food show called 'Flavorful Origins', each episode is a short piece about a particular style of Chinese food, generally linked to different regions. The program is beautifully shot and gives a wonderful taste of what a diverse place it is.

4 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

One of the things many don't realise is just what a diverse country China is, in terms of scenery, climate, people, culture, food and language. It really is a wonderful country to travel around.

The railways could be pretty diverse too. No, this is NOT a tourist railway. These are everyday Chinese passengers on a narrow gauge railway in 2011.

DSC_1209(1).thumb.jpg.6ac22d77155d0c8b122abf8004bd8624.jpg

859036479_DSC_1211(2).JPG.0729fdc735c53380e47715a846af41c2.JPG

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...