BR Standard 9f

Ian Beattie did them in B.R. Standard Locomotives To Scale. I think they were also reprinted in Railway Modeller although I don't know the date. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Rail-Standard-Locomotives-Scale/dp/0851533906

I've a feeling they were also printed in this. But I'm not 100% certain.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Drawn-Described-Collection-Locomotive-Accompanying/dp/0900586907

There was also very good drawings to 7mm scale in Your Model Railways. Shows a lot more detail.

http://magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/model-railways-magazine-march-1986-issue.html

Jason

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

beware of Beattie drawings though, you really need to check the real thing especially details

Yeah I've heard that one. I've got loads of photos though. The drawing is mainly to asses the best gearbox and where to put decoder, speaker etc.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RexAshton said:

...The drawing is mainly to assess the best gearbox ...

It is possible to drop a gear train vertically through the firebox with the centreline between fourth and fifth axles, and turn the drive ninety degrees forward onto the fourth axle, all fully concealed. I long ago did this using a 'Branchlines' gearbox plus extender, and it has worked beautifully ever since. Probably several alternative gearbox products now. (Never having looked at a Hornby loco powered 9F I imagine this is similar to that model. I was rather puzzled that the otherwise well thought out Bachmann has a visible drive line.)

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

It is possible to drop a gear train vertically through the firebox with the centreline between fourth and fifth axles, and turn the drive ninety degrees forward onto the fourth axle, all fully concealed. I long ago did this using a 'Branchlines' gearbox plus extender, and it has worked beautifully ever since. Probably several alternative gearbox products now. (Never having looked at a Hornby loco powered 9F I imagine this is similar to that model. I was rather puzzled that the otherwise well thought out Bachmann has a visible drive line.)

Thanks for that. The plan is Mashima 1424 motor (more than enough power for what it will be pulling), High Level gearbox and flywheel if there's room. Got to  fit sound somewhere as well but there should be plenty of room.

• Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, RexAshton said:

The plan is Mashima 1424 motor (more than enough power for what it will be pulling), High Level gearbox and flywheel if there's room. Got to  fit sound somewhere as well but there should be plenty of room.

Space wise, there's a ton of room. I'd fit an 1824 if you can get one as there's ample width in the firebox and boiler end, then moving forward weight in the bottom half of the rest of the boiler with the decoder on top, speaker in the smokebox.

(Conversion to loco drive of the old Hornby 9F with an 1830 and packing most of the rest of the body with lead, made for a 600g loco with the balance point on the centre driver, and still left room for later fitting of Lenz Silver decoders. Tractively superior to the Bachmann, although this was 'overkill', a legacy of my long past habits developed for an outdoor OO operation where plentiful traction is king. Watch that modest breeze stop a train of mineral empties...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Conversion to loco drive of the old Hornby 9F with an 1830 and packing most of the rest of the body with lead, made for a 600g loco with the balance point on the centre driver ...

CHASSIS_-_MASHIMA_+_HIGH_LEVEL_SLIMLINER+.JPG.27267a9c6427923f636369fb77c1a417.JPG

This is how I intend to do it - loads of room for tractive ballast !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

CHASSIS_-_MASHIMA_+_HIGH_LEVEL_SLIMLINER+.JPG.27267a9c6427923f636369fb77c1a417.JPG

This is how I intend to do it - loads of room for tractive ballast !!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Looks like the business. Weight isn't an issue of course with the DJH kit as its got a one piece whitemetal boiler.

2 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Presumably that would work with a Britannia too

But keep in mind the driven axle is centred 2.3mm higher relative to the firebox top, so the top motor bush housing may foul, and the bottom of the gear box will be close to the truck pivot. The more conventional arrangement of motor shaft parallel to boiler axis will equally work because there isn't the significant clear air gap between frame tops and boiler underside on the Brit, so you can drop the gear train vertically directly onto the axle. Motor ahead of gearbox then leaves pretty much equal spaces fore and aft for weight. Added inducement if using DC power: socking great flywheel can be employed.