Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Scottish LMS O gauge line in RM, spring 1971

Hi,

Just putting this here because I really can't think of where else to post it.

I have had for many years a copy of RM from early 1971 (acquired secondhand) which had an article entitled 'A Scottish O Gauge Line' and featured a system built in a loft by Nigel McMillan. I was wondering 1) what became of the layout and 2) if the builder was still with us today. Despite it being years before my time I always found this layout interesting (I think the main station was called Eastwood Central) and wondered if anyone else recalled it or knew more info about it.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

All I know was that Nigel McMillan was a well known figure in the Scottish Model railway scene . I think he had a model of the Campbeltown and Macrihanish light railway that I well remember seeing at Model Rail Scotland 1973. I also remember him having a large mining layout that used to be one of the main layouts in the balconied hall for a few years.  I think he had , or perhaps it was his father, 2 or 3 model railway shops  in the Cathcart , Busby and Eastwood areas of Glasgow, so the name Eastwood Central certainly makes sense!   I thought he was fairly old in 1973 (but then to an 11 year old everyone beyond 30 is old) so I'm not sure he is still around .   Sorry don't know anything more than that.

Edited by Legend

I think Nigel McMillan is still with us but he must be into his 80's. He was an engineer at the North British loco works in the 1950/60s? and has published a book based on his experiences.   As well as his well known model he also had book on the Campbeltown and Macrihanish Railway published.

I do not recall any connection between Nigel and Bill McMillan the owner of the model shops in Glasgow but memory is not infallible!

Malcolm

I recall an article on a Nigel McMillan layout based around a coal mine with all the appropriate facilities.  I think it was in one of the March Railway Modellers when they used to go a Scottish slant to coincide with Glasgow Model rail.  They seem to have stopped this now.

At a guess the issue was around 1974.

JG

23 hours ago, JinglingGeordie said:

I recall an article on a Nigel McMillan layout based around a coal mine with all the appropriate facilities.  I think it was in one of the March Railway Modellers when they used to go a Scottish slant to coincide with Glasgow Model rail.  They seem to have stopped this now.

At a guess the issue was around 1974.

JG

The year was 1976, and the article was called "Moving Coal." . This must have replaced the loft layout.

The layout was/is transportable, because its current version, Lyoncross Colliery, was exhibited at Ally Pally a couple of years ago. So I think Nigel McMillan is probably still around  [ I should read threads to the end , where a sighting of him a couple of weeks back is reported...]

Edited by Ravenser

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2019 at 22:58, SD85 said:

Hi,

Just putting this here because I really can't think of where else to post it.

I have had for many years a copy of RM from early 1971 (acquired secondhand) which had an article entitled 'A Scottish O Gauge Line' and featured a system built in a loft by Nigel McMillan. I was wondering 1) what became of the layout and 2) if the builder was still with us today. Despite it being years before my time I always found this layout interesting (I think the main station was called Eastwood Central) and wondered if anyone else recalled it or knew more info about it.

Thanks

I remember that this layout had a triangular very short crossing. Looking at the photo, no leg is longer than 2 wagons!

Edit to add.

That issue is 1971 March.

Edited by kevinlms
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Hi Everyone,

This is my Dad, Nigel Macmillan, you are discussing above.  He’s still going strong at nearly 91 and exhibiting his layouts, although the heavy work and running of the trains is all done now by my brother, Gordon Macmillan.

Dad was great friends with Bill McMillan (no relation, different spelling), who owned the model shops.  Bill died quite a few years ago now.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

Good to hear your dad is still going and well. Please pass on my thanks to him for the layout (which appeared in RM half a century ago now); I thought it an interesting system.