BBC Four - James May's Big Trouble in Model Britain

AY Mod

1 hour ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

That said the Hellcat does look tasty and he did a good job painting that engine assembly.

I think plastic kits look reasonable value for the amount of hobby time you’d get out of them. Do they own corgi ? Their models look awful value - IiRC 1/72 sea harrier is over 100 quid now and it’s very poor.

i personally wouldn’t go back to plastic kits, if I put that much time in , it’s got to move.

Edited by AY Mod

2 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Shoreham crash - looks like he got off.

I think plastic kits look reasonable value for the amount of hobby time you’d get out of them. Do they own corgi ? Their models look awful value - IiRC 1/72 sea harrier is over 100 quid now and it’s very poor.

i personally wouldn’t go back to plastic kits, if I put that much time in , it’s got to move.

Yes I saw that.

I suppose being the one who makes the first of a kit has its own kudos lol. I'm more interested in the former Airfix railway stuff that's now with Dapol

27 minutes ago, Pete Darton said:

Manufacturing maybe cheaper in China but the cost of the product has continued to rise to the customer. Where has the saving gone? Maybe it has saved Hornby from collapsing or has it gone into share holders pockets.

I’m not sure what you mean. Since Hornby has been making massive *losses* for years, the opposite has been happening: the shareholders have been subsidising every single sale, putting *their* money into *your* pockets. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Pete Darton said:

Manufacturing maybe cheaper in China but the cost of the product has continued to rise to the customer. Where has the saving gone? Maybe it has saved Hornby from collapsing or has it gone into share holders pockets.

there are pro and cons of production in China, we know what the pro are. The con are language issue between head office and China. Less communication between head office and production staff because of distance between the countries causing production issues. Also as China develop economically they will charge more and then what happens to production?

As mentioned in many, many threads on here, wages in China have been rising at the insistence of the Government putting the final price up.

China isn't the only place Hornby use of course, Airfix kits are made in India.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, dibber25 said:

Why would you bring tools to the UK (they are very heavy and expensive to move) when you have no machinery on which to run them and will simply need to return them to China the next time you want to run them? I have certainly never been told by Hornby that they've brought China-made tools to the UK. (CJL)

Safe keeping.  Or in this case not.....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, railroadbill said:

Good grief! 

Also, those of us of a certain age may recall Gerry Anderson's  Fireball XL5  which (and I'm searching back through the mists of a long time here)  took off  along rails that curved up at the end.  There must have been a kit of it at the time...

We had a Fireball XL5 that you launched into the air with a catapult, and it deployed a parachute to land "safely". 

A rail-launched one, powered by a Jetex motor would have been fun!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

That wasn't a fight, that was a normal example of somebody having a go and being told "nice try but foxtrot oscar", if that's a fight and high drama then I should be punch drunk as such episodes are part and parcel of my work. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

As mentioned in many, many threads on here, wages in China have been rising at the insistence of the Government putting the final price up.

China isn't the only place Hornby use of course, Airfix kits are made in India.

And indeed an increasing number of the easier kits are made in the UK, near Newhaven. Humbrol was also brought home, but not to most people's satisfaction in quality terms.

Dapol are attempting to re-patriate some of the simpler manufacturing processes, back to Wales. This must be working to some extent as I believe they ordered a second machine a while back?

But the key winner in China (for skill and costs) is the detailing work, whether parts, paintwork or lettering, following the production of the bodies, chassis and motors. Attempts by some to find alternative countries have not proven successful. Some suggestions were made, on other threads, that it merely required the training up of another nation's staff to make this work, but apparently not successfully.

I guess the economics will eventually dictate the circumstances, but we are not there yet. Hornby's issues cannot rely on anything like that, in the short to medium term anyway. The fact that Chinese exports are taking a bit of a hit at the moment, suggests that model railway production there may have a bit more attention than maybe it might have done, for a while.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

The answer is in my post - same point motor, but one is set up to be run by DC and the other by DCC. I don't know how much clearer my post could have been.

Not quite correct.

The Digital IP can readily be powered by DC and controlled by pushbuttons (or SPDT switch)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Pete Darton said:

DCC concepts has got a poorly chosen name because they sell non DCC components.

And your point is?

They started out doing DCC stuff and then expanded.

What are they supposed to do? Change name?

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Pete Darton said:

there are pro and cons of production in China, we know what the pro are. The con are language issue between head office and China. Less communication between head office and production staff because of distance between the countries causing production issues. Also as China develop economically they will charge more and then what happens to production?

The "saving" was that far more complex and detailed models could be produced for less than the very basic models still being produced in Rovex days. The eventual rise in costs surround the highly labour intensive activities needed to produce the fine details and finishes on those products. It is abundantly clear that shareholders in Hornby have not become rich through their holdings. I know you are fairly new to the site, so may not have seen many past threads explaining that. But I would earnestly suggest that you do a teensy-weensy bit of research before levelling such, perhaps innocent, accusations.

As the base manufacturing costs equalise (assuming there is a case for investing in such substantial machinery and equipment elsewhere), there might emerge a case for the manufacture in one country and the finishing/detailing activity in another. Much like the way full size cars are produced today, But whether the tariff and non-tariff barriers to such a process, in the Far East, or between the Indian sub-continent and the Far East, would ever make that practical, is mute. We will be getting a taste of that soon, ourselves, if the polticos don't sort something out.

It remains a challenge for us to support the continuing affordability of our "hobby" (or obsession as implied elsewhere) based on very cheap labour, with working conditions rather unlikely to be accepted in Western Europe. Do we want Hornby or others to be the Primark (other alleged, exploiters of child and adult labour are available) of our luxuries? I don't.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, newbryford said:

And your point is?

Good point, but you should. Let Bryford go.........:huh:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Mike Storey said:

Good point, but you should. Let Bryford go.........:huh:

Somehow, from "the poster formerly known as newbryford" doesn't have the same ring to it...................

:D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, newbryford said:

And your point is?

Well, it does happen, and a business marketing case for that could certainly be made, though it would be a fine judgment whether it might do more harm than good, in the sense of making existing customers think their preferred manufacturer no longer existed.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, cravensdmufan said:

Don't think TV on the iPlayer works outside the UK. I couldn't use it even in southern Ireland.  Radio only.

Surprised to hear that as I always assumed that the iPlayer was created to be seen worldwide, ho hum lol.