Maenol Mine - an update

RandyWales

• RMweb Gold

Hi Randall,

Thanks for reply. The layout looks much larger than 4' x 18" - a credit to the model. Sorry, I missed the photo at the top, makes more sense now. Are you planning to exhibit? Would be good to see in the flesh.

Mudmagnet

A nice layout this, with some lovely industrial atmosphere.

One technique I've found useful for ballasting is to use sharp sand and glue it and colour it at the same time by adding the acrylic paint to Klear floor polish and wetting the already laid sand with this mix. Very quick and easy and you can adjust the colour to taste. As usual, as with any technique, try it out on a testbed first.

I look forward to seeing more of this layout.

Are you planning to exhibit? Would be good to see in the flesh.

My attendance at exhibitions has always been on the customer side of the barrier, but it's something I will possibly consider (if invited) when it's finished.

If it is ever finished!

Randall

A nice layout this, with some lovely industrial atmosphere.

.....at the same time by adding the acrylic paint to Klear floor polish.....

Thanks for the kind words...

Like everyone else, I bought a bottle of Klear to stick plastikard strip to windows..and a brilliant job it does too!

This is another application (sic) in it's armoury.

It's something I will experiment with, as the sharp sand is only held by the dried acrylic paint at the moment.

The sand/paint mixture has lost some of it's sheen, so Klear may restore the wet/oily look I wanted to portray in places.

Randall

Hi again....

Whiled away some time today detailing the Mining Memorial.

I had to rebuild the base/groundwork as it was showing signs of warping, no doubt due to the fact I had used individual paving slabs.

The inscriptions are 4mm pressfix transfers (which wouldn't bear too close inspection!).

I think I need to brighten up the flowerbed with some coloured heads/petals.

Randall

post-6897-127283192115_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi Randall, if there are to be flowers in the beds, then there would not, necessarily, be so much green, just soil.

If the bed is unkempt and overgrown, then the flower heads would be weeds, so possibly mainly yellow.

Stu

...if there are to be flowers in the beds, then there would not, necessarily, be so much green, just soil.

If the bed is unkempt and overgrown, then the flower heads would be weeds, so possibly mainly yellow.

Hi Stu...

Ah ha! you've caught me out...I'm no gardener.

I do have green fingers at the moment though, what with Woodlands Scenics foam stuck to my grubby hands.smile.gif

I don't think weeds would be approriate given the sentiments that a memorial garden would inspire.

I've just referred this matter to the domestic authorities, and I have been assured that a vigorous plant such as Saxifrage would indeed cover all the soil.

I just need to add 100,000 individual flowerheads now.

Now you've brought it to my attention, it's going to irritate me no end, so perhaps I need more practice.

That's another 3 month delay!

Randall

• RMweb Gold

Far be it from me to contradict the domestic authorities - I will bow to superior wisdom. My only other comment is that it perhaps looks too green, maybe a coating of coal dust ???

Stu

... perhaps looks too green, maybe a coating of coal dust ???

Hmm! Where will I find some coal dust? All the mines round here are closed!

Point taken...Will readdress.

I've also finally glued the Coal Screen buttress wall and platform in place, and will hopefully finish final assembly of the building itself tomorrow (maybe).

At the moment, the walls are held together by the roof and it's supports.

I've also painted the support trestles (coal black) today.

I would have done a bit more, but I'm oncall and I've been dealing with a problem.

I've bought some Hornby lighting components and will be fitting those this week, too.

A couple of lamps will light the inside of the Coal Screen building so the chutes can be seen working, another will light the platform, with a fourth inside the Chapel.

A busy week ahead.

Randall

MAENOL COMMUNITY COP-OUT? by roving reporter Huw Pugh.

At last night's emergency meeting of Maenol Community Council, it was decided to adopt a low-maintenance approach to the ornamental beds at the Maenol Mining Memorial. In view of the mounting criticism of the council's over-the-top Green policy, councillors backed down under pressure and ordered workers to replace the unsightly weeds with gravel. The work was undertaken at dawn this morning (like me they're on call on a Bank Holiday).

Given the propensity of Maenol Community Council's decision makers to sway like the wind, it may be a case of "watch this space"!

post-6897-127287920223_thumb.jpg

Going to the beach next week - will take a couple of bags and 'liberate' some sand.

Beach sand has two things to beware of, shells and organics. Where there is loads of marine productivity (i.e. animals) commonly 40% of the sand is calcium carbonate shell debris. Most dune systems around the UK, but especially in the south west and Wales, have this sort of concentration. If you use PVA the acids in that glue may react with the shell content. You can remove it by bunging in some suphuric acid.

Organics in the form of wood, seaweed, dead bugs and so on - removable by bunging in some strong alkali, but NOT at the same time as the acid or anywhere near it until it's been well washed. Organics will start to rot and pong unless removed.

I haven't mentioned salt - this is because following the acid and alkali treatments it won't stand a chance, and with all the washing you'll have to do to get rid of the acid and alkali it'll have gone.

However the cost of doing this is going to be much greater than going to Wickes and buying a bag of sand of the correct grade, which will be prewashed and from an inland source so that the contaminants have gone or weren't there in the first place.

You could also fall foul of the 1949 Coastal Protection Act and other more recent legislation as did:

The Times, London. Tuesday, February 15th, 2000. By Simon de Bruxelles. (short article, page number not recorded). A painter and decorator, Robert Pearcey was convicted of taking pebbles from a beach. The mayor of Budleigh Salterton said "I blame Charlie Dimmock and Alan Titmarsh from Groundforce. Children has always taken home the odd pebble from the beach but since we've had fancy gardens it has become a problem because they are disappearing in large numbers. Its got worse because of the number of gardening programmes that suggest making paths or ponds or seaside features out of pebbles." Pearcey, 41, was seen carrying buckets of pebbles from a beach. East Devon Council introducted bylaws three years ago under the 1949 Coastal Protection Act to stop people taking large pebbles from the beach. Pearcy denied taking a bucket of pebbles from the beach and said that he and his wife were carrying crabs that he had just landed. He was found guilty, conditionally discharged for 12 months and ordered to pay £250 costs. The mayor said "East Devon District Council brought this case because they wanted to make an example of somebody".

....You could also fall foul of the 1949 Coastal Protection Act and other more recent legislation:

...."The mayor of Budleigh Salterton said "I blame Charlie Dimmock and Alan Titmarsh from Groundforce"....

...."conditionally discharged for 12 months and ordered to pay £250 costs".

Hi CB...

Blimey, Maenol CC were in the process of negotiating with Dimmock et al for a makeover of the local park. Councillors were not aware that they are implicated in the erosion of our heritage coastline. Hope CromptonNut wasn't arrested and made it home safe.

Maenol CC in association with Maenol Colliery management wish to issue the following statement: "No living organisms were intentionally harmed during the laying of the trackbed at Maenol Colliery - our sand was legally procured following the recommendations laid down in the above post - Honest - we got a receipt to prove it!"

Seriously.... we all need to be aware of our responsibilities...take only pictures, leave only footprints etc...

CromptonNut...

If it's too late and you've got a couple of bags, you could always relocate the sand to any of our Gower beaches - erosion by dredging is taking it's toll.

... relocate the sand to any of our Gower beaches - erosion by dredging is taking it's toll.

That's the problem - commercial exploiitation is licensed - and profitable for the local authorities. Kids taking home a even few pebbles isn't and can result in problems.

Memorial looking very good and quite a fitting tribute.

Thanks MM...

The idea was put up by Andy (51235) on the old forum who said:

"As to the area you have just created - it looks like an area for a monument of something, especially with the fencing around it. I know it is a bit solemn but monuments to workers that lost their lives must have been quite commonplace. Especially in mining communities where the work was pretty hazardous".

A poignant statement indeed.

A lot of the ideas for Maenol Mine were put forward by RMWeb members from across the world...and especially Cornwall...

Randall

• RMweb Gold

Would the fence have been made in a series of panels, so that the vertical bars are, well, vertical ?

But that backdrop looks great - I couldn't see what you meant at first..., till I realised the headgear wasn't part of the model.

Stu

You could also fall foul of the 1949 Coastal Protection Act and other more recent legislation

Well I wasn't caught... but I guess "3 buckets of pebbles" is a lot more noticeable than a few handfuls of sand from the beach :)

Too tired after today's travelling to have a go at the sand right now but I'll certainly give it a good wash-through and make an attempt at recreating your method in the next week or so as time allows and see what I can come up with - and whether I end up paying a local builders merchant a visit instead.

Hi Randall - glad to see that you have not given up on this project. It is very inspiring and very atmospheric - keep up the good work.

Andy

Hi Andy...

Your suggestion for a mining memorial was an inspired offering too...

Thanks again.

Randall

Hi all...

The outside temperature is finally getting more like it for the time of year, so I've been doing a bit of woodwork and painting.

SWMBO is suggesting I might like to paint that fence too!

Randall

post-6897-127420859523_thumb.jpg

Hi all...

I've been experimenting with photographic backdrops.

To my eye this looks okay.

Must paint that fence!

Randall

post-6897-127340265963_thumb.jpg

Looking good Randall!

I think the photo backdrop is highly effective, and adds a nice sense of depth....

Can't wait to see Maenol in the flesh - are you taking it to Cardiff this year?

Or perhaps the Lord & Butler event?

I'm glad you've rekindled your interest - I always thought this would be a cracking layout,

and I'm glad I was right - looks like there's not much left to finish off.

Marc :D

That's a tremendous little layout Randall, superbly atmospheric! It would be great if it were to make an appearance at the L&B show that Marc mentioned! (what date is it this year Marc?)

Keef

Archived