Replacing roof-mounted PCB in Hornby 4-VEP

Hi all,

I wasn't quite sure which section to put this in, so please feel free to move if incorrect.

I was trying to fit a DCC decoder to my Hornby 4-VEP and, in a rather ham-fisted fashion, managed to accidentally pull out one of the cables that links the roof-mounted PCB to the socket on the chossis.

Having neither the eyesight, skills or patience to try and re-solder the tiny connections, I have bought a replacement PCB, however, I can't figure out how to get the old one out to swap it without having to perform serious surgery.

The PCB is held into the roof by a grey plastic frame, which is secured into the roof by 8 screws.

However, at one end of the motor car, two of the screws are completely obscured by white plastic mouldings (presumably meant to be luggage racks)... see picture below.

hornby_vep_pcb.jpg.770f9250ae85aebe15e487b48a9af171.jpg

The white moulding at the end doesn't appear to be part of the body-shell (there's obviously a gap between it and the plastic end of the body), but I can't seem to find any way to remove it, and am reluctant to start applying brute force/sharp objects in case I'm missing something obvious.

Has anyone got any ideas/suggestions, before I start butchering it?

Many thanks

Daniel

• 10 months later...