Graham Farish 00 gauge 9410 -help wanted

cliffrocker

She's like mine, runs fine offload. The motor being two pole will only self start when the armatures are in the correct position. There are a couple of permanent magnets and a clutch which should ensure this but they are less than successful....

Rather than the plungers, some standard wipers on the backs of the driving wheels would be easier to make and ensure rather better contact. Only two contacts to the rail is asking for trouble. Mine is prone to stalling even on plain track and then won't restart.

IIRC there are two versions with and without raised numbers and mine has a different design of clutch.

Edited by Il Grifone

• 2 weeks later...

The second tender worked albeit with a nudge from the green full volt button on my H & M powermaster now & again,i`m now in the process of replacing the motor in the original tender with a Mashima motor which will coupled to the clutch disc with a coil spring flexible drive.In the meantime,original loco with the second tender.

Ray.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The switch mechanism behind the motor needs to be set up correctly in order for the motor to start running from rest. There is obviously enough clearance between the contact pieces or else the motor wouldn't turn over at all. Make sure that at rest, both contact springs are resting on the contact points on the same side, that is, at rest left, both contact springs touching left point. At rest right, both contact springs touching right. Also, once the crank arm is mid way between the two points, none should be touching. Also, check the clutch. It shouldn't engage until the motor has done at least 2 or more revolutions. I hope that all makes sense. If not, perhaps I'll draw some diagrams. I've spent the last 30 odd years maintaining Farish motors so I've got a good idea of what's required to get them operating correctly.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...