Moreton, the forgotten one...

Thought as I'd started to actually do something it would be a good motivator to start a thread on here.  Baseboards having been built for some time the unwelcome visit of a minor heart attack has given me several weeks of recovery, so a few tentative steps have been taken in track laying.  Pleased to have the first train moving, albeit for only a few feet, but encouraging nonetheless:D

I converted my garage to an extra space and put in a stud wall so have approximately 11' by 9' to use, which will allow me to fit Moreton (Dorset) around three sides.  MRC (I think) had drawings of all the buildings which are a great help, so will be trying my hand at recreating these.  Will be set between 1960 and the early '70s, so I can run my 33/4TC combinations or steam depending on my mood...  Moreton also had pre war connections to the sand pits, and a brickworks, and in my reality these will still be working.  I may draw the line at the nearby airship station though!

First movement, yes I know it's a 71, but I was squinting and it became a 74 to me:)

Geoff

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

• Like 2

Ah! Moreton Level Crossing -

picture the scene - late 60's and after almost a 4 hour "car" (in my Dad's converted Ford Thames van) journey from Kent to Weymouth for a 2 week caravan holiday & having set off at 3:30am - finding the LX gates down across the main road ............................... I can still feel the small boy's excitement of the prospective train arriving ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, was always a spanking Crompton & a TC but hey ............................... jumpers for goalposts, etc  :D

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1

I still remember the first time I came across the station here, would be mid eighties, and surprised to find a level crossing in a dip at the end of a long straight road.  I didn't know then that 20 years later it would be my local station. 

First 33/4TC to run through. and my first attempts at the distinctive crossing gates

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

• Like 1

Ditto - didn't think I'd end up walking across it on the tracks some 20 years later whilst doing the final electrification walkovers prior to the switch-on in 1988 (?). 

Vivid memories of getting "gassed" by a Bristol bound DMU in Bincombe Tunnel chugging up the bank (we could still play in tunnels with traffic running in those days)

Had a good day on it today, have most of the main lines through the station down and working and have laid out roughly where the sidings will be.  Having something running really does rejuvenate my enthusiasm! 

Back to work tomorrow after my enforced break, light duties only, so hopefully can get on and make the corner pieces for the baseboards:D

IMG_1734.jpg

IMG_1736.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress:D  All track down in the station area, and a single circuit available to just watch trains go by.  Up line still to lay but have been too busy having fun!  Still not sure whether to go for a traverser fiddle yard, or a fan.  The former will give me more length at the expense of time to make it, the latter is simpler.

IMG_1739.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I wish you every success with the project as it is a location that I have stayed at several times in recent years in my touring caravan with just a hedge between my caravan and the railway line.  I also have a sentimental attachment to the TCs and REPs as I was a junior clerk in the Southern Region M&EE Dept. at Croydon at the time of their introduction and Eric quite a bit of overtime folding the numerous copies of the wiring schematic diagrams for them.

Alun